Cambelt Replacement - Leon 184 FR 2.0L

Harry213

Aug 11, 2014
West Midlands
Hi Guys and Gals

Does anyone know when to change the cambelt on a Seat Leon 184 FR 2.0

I’ve rang the dealers who said they think it’s at four years / 60K but didn’t sound too sure

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Honest John agrees with mileage or 5 years, whichever happens sooner. 5k and then mine needs doing

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Mines a 150 TDI and dealer said at last service its replacement is due at 120k

Harry213

Aug 11, 2014
West Midlands
The reason I asked was I’m about do have some warranty work done and have been informed by the dealer that if I pay £80 for parts (cambelt) they will replace it at the time of doing warranty work.

I’m on 55000 miles and in the fourth year so will get it done

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Considering it costs £400 from dealer to have the cambelt changed for a diesel that's a good offer.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
No brainer. Have it done and forget about for years. Obv water pump at same time.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
That's a crazy good offer, would just get it done while its there and not worry about it for a good few years

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The reason I asked was I’m about do have some warranty work done and have been informed by the dealer that if I pay £80 for parts (cambelt) they will replace it at the time of doing warranty work.

I’m on 55000 miles and in the fourth year so will get it done

Good price.

Just curious - what warranty work are they doing ?

garybuttle

Oct 27, 2011
Surely if it's warranty work then the cambelt should be renewed anyway as no self respecting mechanic would put any second hand cambelt back on especially if has done 55 k

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Surely if it's warranty work then the cambelt should be renewed anyway as no self respecting mechanic would put any second hand cambelt back on especially if has done 55 k

Unfortunately - when it comes to warranty - they won't spend 1p more than they have to in order to sort the issue out.
Everything they can put back on the car that came off it will go back on the car.

You could argue that a faulty tensioner may have caused damage to the belt but you would have a hard time proving it.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I suggest speaking to VWAG customer services dissect. I had a problem with service intervals on an air filter where the it's fixed interval was stated at 20k or 2 years and the factory stated 6 or 60k. Way off and a rip off. The same is true of the cam belt intervals. Go by what the factory says not SEAT.

Last edited:

Leon Gone

Dec 26, 2017
I bought my 1400 TSi in 2013 and after a year decided to ask when the cam belt needed changing, idiot dealer said 30,000 miles or 3 years. Thought this was stupid since they would never sell as asingle car to a fleet if this was true.

So I emailed Seat Customer Services who came abck with the following reply

"I am delighted to confirm that on your SEAT Leon, we recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first."

To me that seemed sensible and straightforward. But I have no ide if it applies to other Leon engines.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I bought my 1400 TSi in 2013 and after a year decided to ask when the cam belt needed changing, idiot dealer said 30,000 miles or 3 years. Thought this was stupid since they would never sell as asingle car to a fleet if this was true.

So I emailed Seat Customer Services who came abck with the following reply

"I am delighted to confirm that on your SEAT Leon, we recommend the cam belt is first checked at 60,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles thereafter. If there is no damage at these points the cambelt will not need changing. If the belt is not changed, regardless of condition, it must be replaced at 120,000 miles or when the vehicle is 5 years old, whichever comes first."

To me that seemed sensible and straightforward. But I have no ide if it applies to other Leon engines.

+1 That is what I was told by SEAT CS whne I first bought the 1.2 TSi SE Technology and then after the air filter fiasco (see my other posts for details) Pat from the VWFS maintenance team said it was 140,000 miles to be changed and that was the factory recommendation

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
I got my misses to ask at her work (VW) and she was told 100,000 miles or 5 years for my 2014 FR184. Nice to know I still have another year before mine needs doing

Joshua Oakes

Apr 30, 2020
I understand this thread has been dormant for a while, however, when speaking to my local(ish) seat dealer a few days ago, I was advised my cam belt would be 140k or 5 years. So I’m definitely due it next year, I’m wondering is it recommended to pay dealer prices to have it all proper or do people not bother and go to local garages that offer it a lot cheaper, is it the same regardless or is there pros and cons to either?

Josh.

Black Leon FR 2.0TDI 184 DSG

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I understand this thread has been dormant for a while, however, when speaking to my local(ish) seat dealer a few days ago, I was advised my cam belt would be 140k or 5 years. So I’m definitely due it next year, I’m wondering is it recommended to pay dealer prices to have it all proper or do people not bother and go to local garages that offer it a lot cheaper, is it the same regardless or is there pros and cons to either?

Josh.

Black Leon FR 2.0TDI 184 DSG
Don't know if it is still the case, but I remember that if done by SEAT dealer, you got a 5 year warranty, no one else will give you that.

Reactions: Joshua Oakes

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Capture belt.JPG

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise