Can an annual service can affect a remap?

deadsetgav

Hi,

I got my 55 plate mk 1 FR TDI remapped last August. (had a Revo remap, 150 up to 192bhp). As well as the obvious improvement to boost I also got an average 5mpg boost and a little black cloud of smoke when you nailed it.

Anyway I took it for its annual service in August of this year (to Seat dealers - same place as I had my remap done).

Ever since I had it back, I've noticed that I've lost that 5mpg economy boost, no more black smoke and the car just felt sluggish.

Now the service coincided with the Mrs' maternaty leave ending, so I've been taking the nipper with me on my daily commute (so my driving has been scaled back somewhat), but I took the car out on my own last night and I'm convinced the remap is no longer there...

Is this something that could happen? I spoke to Seat a couple of days after the service as I felt that it was lacking power and they said that it wouldn't affect the remap... so I didn't pursue it further at the time, but after last night I'm convinced I'm not getting what I was out of it.

Cheers!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Normally I'd have said no way, but if you got your remap done at the dealers, then it could be dodgy ! (What warranty did they give you anyway mate, just out of curiosity, normally a remap could void any engine/turbo warranty).

For peace of mind, take it to another Revo dealer & ask if they can check out the map for you, shouldnt take long !!

deadsetgav

Car was still under warranty (3 years) when I had it done, I checked with them before I had it done and they said that it wouldn't invalidate it - and as it was the garage that did my warranty work anyway I was quite happy with that.

I'm out of the 3 year standard (and the 1 year from buying it second hand) now though. To me it just feels like it did before they did the remap.

Problem is, I'm not exactly the most car-savvy person about, and I'm not 100% totally sure if there is something wrong and its just I've got used to it, or the dealers are blowing smoke up my arse... :)

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Car was still under warranty (3 years) when I had it done, I checked with them before I had it done and they said that it wouldn't invalidate it - and as it was the garage that did my warranty work anyway I was quite happy with that.

I'm out of the 3 year standard (and the 1 year from buying it second hand) now though. To me it just feels like it did before they did the remap.

Problem is, I'm not exactly the most car-savvy person about, and I'm not 100% totally sure if there is something wrong and its just I've got used to it, or the dealers are blowing smoke up my arse... :)

RR it or take it to another Revo dealer to check

deadsetgav

What would cause them to flash the ECU? is this a pretty standard thing to do as part of a service?

-SlicK

No smoke, No poke
Nov 23, 2008
Beith, Scotland
Usually when seat issue updates for the ecu the dealers will be told to flash it, only ever heard of this with audi, but its possible that SEAT do this too.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
As adam mentioned above it is extemely rare that a dealer wil flash your ecu on a service, especially without telling you. If it feels like your map has stopped functioning then take it back to the dealer and explain the problem - in some cases the map (if its switchable which REVO are) can turn itself off and its just a case of switching it back on.
As for taking it to another dealer, this is just going to cause implications with the origion dealer and reluctance to touch it if anyone else tinkers with it. Also if its Revo software how can it be dodgy? the tdi maps are just pre-wrote and loaded software, the dealer doesnt alter it in any way.