Can you put a 2013 CTHE Engine in a 2010 Bocanegra will the dsg fit??

Will it work

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Baught a bocanegra 2010 66000 miles, engine is fried after 2 weeks can you swap the cthe in the 10 plates heard its more reliable then the cave?

MIH11MI6

Nov 28, 2017
Norwich/ Crewe
Hi yes you can.

Got a friend with a 59 boc with a CTHE engine, his CAVE got replaced 30K miles ago for a CTHE. its just a revision of the CAVE, they're all 02M configuration so will all fit in exactly as it should.

Reactions: Bocashauno and ND98

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Hi yes you can.

Got a friend with a 59 boc with a CTHE engine, his CAVE got replaced 30K miles ago for a CTHE. its just a revision of the CAVE, they're all 02M configuration so will all fit in exactly as it should.
Good news then had nothing but hassle with the cave oil issues and oil pressure issues

Oct 29, 2019
Hi

I've owned my 59 Bocanegra since 2015, it's currently sat outside gathering spiderwebs and bird poop with literally 50,001 miles on the clock and piston number 2 failure. I've been told that it's due to these top quality CAVE engines.

I know that this might be a pretty basic question but I don't know anything about swapping engines and because they're so similar it's hard to know what I'd really need to change over from the CTHE donor vehicle. Anyone I've asked doesn't seem to know and have just recommend putting another CAVE in, if I have to do that then I'll be selling up so that I don't run the risk of all this happening again. I'm kinda hoping that I can just dump the CAVE out and hook the CTHE up, start her up and wheelspin off into the sunset...

SEAT have been as helpful as always so I thought I'd ask people who actually know something about SEATs :worship:

Cheers for any help and apologies for my ignorance :doh:

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Hi

I've owned my 59 Bocanegra since 2015, it's currently sat outside gathering spiderwebs and bird poop with literally 50,001 miles on the clock and piston number 2 failure. I've been told that it's due to these top quality CAVE engines.

I know that this might be a pretty basic question but I don't know anything about swapping engines and because they're so similar it's hard to know what I'd really need to change over from the CTHE donor vehicle. Anyone I've asked doesn't seem to know and have just recommend putting another CAVE in, if I have to do that then I'll be selling up so that I don't run the risk of all this happening again. I'm kinda hoping that I can just dump the CAVE out and hook the CTHE up, start her up and wheelspin off into the sunset...

SEAT have been as helpful as always so I thought I'd ask people who actually know something about SEATs :worship:

Cheers for any help and apologies for my ignorance :doh:
Alright, i swapped the CTHE engine into my 10 plate boc best thing i did not had a single issue yet 2000 miles in, mine came as just the engine i swapped the turbo and supercharger over from the cthe slight issue the supercharger bolt ons are different on the cthe so you will need an extra bolt other then that DSG fits perfectly too deffo worth the swap

Reactions: Bocashauno
Oct 29, 2019
Alright, i swapped the CTHE engine into my 10 plate boc best thing i did not had a single issue yet 2000 miles in, mine came as just the engine i swapped the turbo and supercharger over from the cthe slight issue the supercharger bolt ons are different on the cthe so you will need an extra bolt other then that DSG fits perfectly too deffo worth the swap

Thanks for the reply, It's good to know that it's possible and it works. My Boc was perfect, no problems since I've had it until now... Well apart from it draining the battery if I don't drive it for like 2 days in a row. I thought I was one of the lucky-ish ones.

So you had the engine, turbo, supercharger and DSG out of the CTHE? Was that your choice or is it something that has to be done?
Did you have to swap ECUs or mess about with any coding?

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks for the reply, It's good to know that it's possible and it works. My Boc was perfect, no problems since I've had it until now... Well apart from it draining the battery if I don't drive it for like 2 days in a row. I thought I was one of the lucky-ish ones.

So you had the engine, turbo, supercharger and DSG out of the CTHE? Was that your choice or is it something that has to be done?
Did you have to swap ECUs or mess about with any coding?
Hi, i used the turbo and supercharger from the cave engine, used the ECU for the cave engine just put it on a machine that copied the standard map over and it had to be done had my cave 4 days then cylinder one issues also used the dsg from the cave fit perfectly

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Hi, i used the turbo and supercharger from the cave engine, used the ECU for the cave engine just put it on a machine that copied the standard map over and it had to be done had my cave 4 days then cylinder one issues also used the dsg from the cave fit perfectly

Oct 29, 2019

Thanks again, it's just the ECU side of things that's confusing me at the minute. The lad who'll swap the engine doesn't seem to know either, he'd rather put another CAVE into it.. which is obvs a bad idea.

So just to be clear, so he feels a bit better about it.. ECU wise we'd need to copy the map off of the CTHE ECU and write it to the old CAVE ECU?

Thanks again for all the advice :thumbup:

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Pictures here the only tricky bit is the cave super charger has different mounting points
Thanks again, it's just the ECU side of things that's confusing me at the minute. The lad who'll swap the engine doesn't seem to know either, he'd rather put another CAVE into it.. which is obvs a bad idea.

So just to be clear, so he feels a bit better about it.. ECU wise we'd need to copy the map off of the CTHE ECU and write it to the old CAVE ECU?

Thanks again for all the advice :thumbup:
Hi, mine is still running on the cave map I didnt get any ecu with the cave engine so I just flashes the cave map onto the cthe engine everything worked fine i wouldnt reccomend a CAVE, one bonus with the CTHE they upgraded the pistons in the cthe to stop the cylinder 1 issues

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-151544_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20191030-151544_Messenger.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 154
Oct 29, 2019
Pictures here the only tricky bit is the cave super charger has different mounting points

Hi, mine is still running on the cave map I didnt get any ecu with the cave engine so I just flashes the cave map onto the cthe engine everything worked fine i wouldnt reccomend a CAVE, one bonus with the CTHE they upgraded the pistons in the cthe to stop the cylinder 1 issues

Ahh right, so hopefully I shouldn't have any trouble with the Ecus and that.

Yeah I've heard that the CTHE has sorted some of the problems with the CAVE, hopefully the car killing ones are gone..

All that's left is to get one, chuck it in and see what happens. What did you do to get round the supercharger fittings?

ND98

Jul 18, 2019
Its just an extra bolt on the first pic is the CTHE bolt on and second is Cave if you can do some adjusting its not too bad also, i would still probably try find a ECU from a CTHE but it runs on the old map, isnt the best on fuel at times so probably going to get it mapped to see if it can run better and a bit more efficient

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191030-151547_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20191030-151547_Messenger.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20191030-151544_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20191030-151544_Messenger.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 124
Oct 29, 2019
Cheers for the photos, getting a remap's probably a good idea for me anyways. The guy who had it before had one put on but knowing him it's been done on the cheap, could've been part of the reason that the piston went in the 1st place..

I'll find me a CTHE and get started I guess.

Thanks again for the help

Jun 28, 2020
Hi guys ! Had my Ibiza cupra for just 3 weeks and the timing chain went ! I'm considering doing the same, replacing my cave engine with a cthe .

My question is , would I be ok with the just a new engine or would I also need a new dsg gearbox ?
Thanks in advance!

BocShauno

Feb 10, 2018
Hi,
And I thought I was unlucky.. with mine the piston went and it was just a straight swap with the engine, kept everything like dsg, turbo, ecu etc. But that was a piston or cylinder fault, I've heard of the common timing chain fault but not looked to much into it (out of fear) so I don't know whether it affects the gearbox.
I Managed to find a 30,000 mile ex fabia vrs cthe engine for £1600, luckily. It was fitted in February and she drives and runs perfectly now.

Jun 28, 2020
Hi,
And I thought I was unlucky.. with mine the piston went and it was just a straight swap with the engine, kept everything like dsg, turbo, ecu etc. But that was a piston or cylinder fault, I've heard of the common timing chain fault but not looked to much into it (out of fear) so I don't know whether it affects the gearbox.
I Managed to find a 30,000 mile ex fabia vrs cthe engine for £1600, luckily. It was fitted in February and she drives and runs perfectly now.
Ah thanks for the reply my man!

So just to confirm you had nothing at all really done apart from fitting the engine? My dsg box is fine but a friend told me id have to get a new dsg box as the old one wouldn't be compatible with the new engine?
Also how did you go about with the ECU? Did you do anything with it ? also how much you did you pay to fit the engine ?

I've found a cthe engine under 40k for 1600 with 30 day warranty, but I've also found a garage which is offering a year warranty with there cave rebuilds , they have neevr had one fail on them and install the new pistons and state it will definitely fix the oil issues, torn between the two .

Any advise please :)

BocShauno

Feb 10, 2018
No problem, yeah it was just basically a straight swap. CTHE from what I've read is pretty much VAG trying to fix the common faults with the CAVE.
I kept my ECU and gearbox so all the software and that is compatible with CTHE.
I paid my mechanic £500 odd cash to fit it in the end, we had to wait for some plugs from skoda to switch the car's plug ends to fit onto the CTHE injectors

BocShauno

Feb 10, 2018
So between the two options you've got I'd say that both work but you'll have to weigh up cost of each and the time they'll each take if time's an issue.
The year's warranty on that reckon does sound good though, just for a bit more peace of mind I guess. I took a risk with a CTHE from a random guy but at that point I had nowt to lose.
Hope this helps

Jun 28, 2020
So between the two options you've got I'd say that both work but you'll have to weigh up cost of each and the time they'll each take if time's an issue.
The year's warranty on that reckon does sound good though, just for a bit more peace of mind I guess. I took a risk with a CTHE from a random guy but at that point I had nowt to lose.
Hope this helps
Yeah my issue is if I get a cthe engine there's no guarantee what's the engine has been through , furthermore I only get 30 day warranty with a cthe engine where as a years with a cave rebuild with the new pistons.

I'm pushing towards the rebuild though
It's pretty hard to find a cthe in Birmingham

BocShauno

Feb 10, 2018
I took a chance with mine, luckily I found the only one on eBay at the time after ringing round breakers etc. For a couple of months. He was going to put it in his own car but he lost it in a fire before it could be fitted.
Yeah the year's warranty recon job is probably your safest option, especially cause CTHE's are hard to find.
There's Lucifers guide on this forum that was written by a guy who listed all the faults that he found with his CAVE Bocanegra, not sure if you've seen it but might be worth a read just out of interest if anything. It's what I found after my CAVE bricked itself.
Hopefully you get it sorted pal