Can't switch off front fogs - is there a light switch fix...?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I've been having some intermittent problems with my front fogs turning on when I've got my lights on.

It's definitely an issue with the light switch, as I used to be able to get them to turn off if I pushed on the switch. Now though, when I push on the switch, the fogs will go out, but as soon as I let go of the switch, they'll come back on again.

It's not causing a problem as such (other than looking like a bloody idiot who doesn't know how to use fog lamps), but I want the car to be right and this just annoys me. Is there any chance I might be able to repair this, and if so, what would be the best way of doing this? I'm happy to try and take the switch apart but obviously don't want to make it worse, or even stop the lights from working, given it's dark all the time these days.

I've had a look on eBay and can't find any replacements listed, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people running switches from other cars, so if that's plug-and-play, that could be an option too.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Just try a second hand headlight switch. Dead easy to change - just pulls out of the dash.
Try the VAG Yard on Facebook since there aren't any on eBay at the moment

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I have a feeling something happened when I was wiring up my boost gauge - maybe tugging at it from the back messed things about. I'm sure I saw that someone had put the switch from another car in but can't remember which car they got it from and whether it was plug-and-play. I'm thinking it was maybe @Yellow fr ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I have a feeling something happened when I was wiring up my boost gauge - maybe tugging at it from the back messed things about. I'm sure I saw that someone had put the switch from another car in but can't remember which car they got it from and whether it was plug-and-play. I'm thinking it was maybe @Yellow fr ?
I've never opened one, but probably a spring loaded contact. Probably pretty easy to sort out, but might be hard to put it back together.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just had a go and even following the instructions I've found (push and hold switch in, turn to sidelights position, pull out) it just seems to foul on something. It doesn't want to turn to the sidelight position when it's pushed in, and I don't want to break it by forcing it. Seems like it might be shagged anyway, so I'm going to order a new one. It looks like the part number is 1M1941531E for the switch, so as long as I can get it out, I should be able to swap it out. I hope there's not anything in the actual switch mechanism though that's going to need changing, if something's stopping it from coming out properly.

This might be a job for the New Year when I don't need to drive the car in the dark so much.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
If you want a replacement switch search Thai wrong horse in the search bar and msg him to ask if he’s got one. He’s the mk1 man 9/10 times he’s got the part in stock depending on what it is obviously. It’ll be a used part but genuine oem so not need to mess about trying to make it work etc.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I have seen other people use ones from other Vag cars but have to cut the lower dash to get it on or the switch it’s self but that’s not for me I would just use one from the same car

Dude, you sold your FR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
307fc520210df5d46b9b8976384cff77.jpg

Well, that was more trouble than it should have been, but then, isn't that always the way with these cars?

Had to trim the collar that the switch slots into, otherwise it didn't fit flush - something for anyone else doing this to keep in mind.

I was thinking about trying to fix the old one, but the prongs to remove it from the dash are missing a spring and the internals of the switch are likely dodgy too if the fogs weren't working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mty12345
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.