car failing to start, anyone able to assist?

digitalpimp

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help me

A few weeks ago my car gave up the go (V-reg 1.4l petrol), driving along and the engine just stalled out under acceleration, it began to behave itself again but only for a few days where it completely gave up firing up (starter turns over but wont fire up), i took it into the local garage where they firstly tested the throttle body, replaced the distributor, leads, plugs, MAP sensor and ECU, which appeared to do the trick as it managed to pass its MOT and get home fine (only 2 miles down the road), went to take it out again that evening to get 200 yards down the road and everything just gave up stalled out and wouldn't go again. All the plugs are firing fine seems to be no problem air flow wise, VAG COM says all ok no fault codes.

Can't think of it being any of the sensors as everyone has been replaced in the last 2000 miles.

Bit of a dead end with this one the only thing that i can really think of thats left is possibly the Fuel pump relay, but the pump (from what i can hear) seems fine and operational (or maybe one of the other relays?)

If anyone can offer any ideas or help in the slightest please give it a post as i am fresh out of ideas.

Hope all have had a good christmas

Cameron

digitalpimp

I will have a look into that, dont think i have replaced that sensor, so might be a possibility, is that likely not to show any errors on VAG COM?

Thank you for a quick reply

Last edited by a moderator:

digitalpimp

I will have to VAG COM it again tomorrow, i had a look when it kept stalling out under acceleration and the only error showing was the MAP sensor (which got replaced), might be just one went after the other? I will rip it out tomorrow give it a clean up and get hold of VW or seat tuesday get another one to give it a go. Sounds like it may be it as the garage also noted whilst they had it the timing kept going out and i believe that can be another symptom of that sensor failing/failed. Thanks for your help. Will keep you up to date where i am at in regards to the Crank position sensor.

Is the sensor easy to get access to or is it buried away in the depths somewhere? Couldn't find any reference to it in the good old Haynes manual.

digitalpimp

if it helps with finding the location i have a 1.4l apq engine

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Random thing to check but a freebie and only takes 2 secs.

The relays above the fuses, try pushing them all and then try starting, I had a problem on my old 1.4 where a relay was loose and kept dropping slightly

digitalpimp

Yeh had a go at the relays still no joy, was unable to locate the Crank Postion sensor and no errors to report relating to the problem via Vag Com. Its gone back to the garage again hopefully they may have some luck, the only 2 sensors i came across i believe were the knock and speed sensors?? and they show no error plugged in or unplugged so maybe one of those (one on the top/back of the gearbox quite open and obvious and another tucked away near/under the starter motor)? i did tell the guy at the garage about the crank position sensor but he was unsure if it actually has a individual sensor for it, fingers crossed for a nice cheap visit. Shall post back with what they found (may help someone else experiencing the same down the line) Thanks for all your help :)

I will let them know about the ignition coil but i have a feeling they may have had a look into it but was all ok on that side, everything seems to be ok, fuel and air flowing, sparking fine, just doesnt want to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I will let them know about the ignition coil but i have a feeling they may have had a look into it but was all ok on that side, everything seems to be ok, fuel and air flowing, sparking fine, just doesnt want to go.

same thing i had when my coil went duff - sparked a plug on a lead for ages and fuel all fine but wouldnt fire unless foot to floor and stuttered home to die

when cold next day it was ok and then died again after 5 mins drive

been fine since i changed the coil/igniter pack together

digitalpimp

Right... after a long time at the garage and after a week back on the road i can now safely say that it appears that it was an electrical fault with one of the cables going to the throttle body (according to the garage). What a nightmare for something so simple. Thanks for all of your help guys.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise