Car keeps calling breakdown number over and over

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Anyone have the car calling breakdown over and over …. I think this is different to SOS error - this is call Breakdown assistance and no lights on dashboard just infotainment saying "Making a call with Cancel button"

When I first had car it did this a few times - just try’s over and over to call Cupra breakdown - most of the time it fails before connecting and reconnecting - sometimes it gets through but then drops again.

Only way to stop is to turn off car and hope it fixes itself. Anyone know a way to stop it?

Have latest 1940 software for a while and only started doing again a week ago .. so frustrating.

It is now booked into be looked at - but chances are it won't present itself to a garage as intermittent. And it isn't till October 4th.!!! If wanted a replacement car it was November!

Is there away to disable this feature. I don't care about it at all. I will try and get a video of it but always driving when it happens sigh.... is it using my phone to make call or is it using the inbuilt SIM.. I assume it is inbuilt one. Just wondering if I disable that somehow?
I've currently got the same issue, I received the car new n June this year, had a few software glitches which were put right by way of an update.

4 weeks back it started making the call for breakdown assistance, it will not stop unless like you say you turn the car off in hope it fixes itself.

I returned it to Seat two weeks ago who told me they'd found the fault which was again a software issue and updated it to solve the issue.

Just this week it has started again and this morning continued my whole hour journey to work, I tried switching the car off 4 times but it continued on start up.

I have it booked back in for the 23rd of this month and I've videos of the fault to show them in the hope they understand the frustration and solve the fault.

It also blocks my phone from connecting via android auto and I'm unable to do on the infotainment screen.

I have noticed that why the fault is active the amber lights on the over head console keep lighting up amber, the spanner when it tries to make the call and the i when it drops out.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I've currently got the same issue, I received the car new n June this year, had a few software glitches which were put right by way of an update.

4 weeks back it started making the call for breakdown assistance, it will not stop unless like you say you turn the car off in hope it fixes itself.

I returned it to Seat two weeks ago who told me they'd found the fault which was again a software issue and updated it to solve the issue.

Just this week it has started again and this morning continued my whole hour journey to work, I tried switching the car off 4 times but it continued on start up.

I have it booked back in for the 23rd of this month and I've videos of the fault to show them in the hope they understand the frustration and solve the fault.

It also blocks my phone from connecting via android auto and I'm unable to do on the infotainment screen.

I have noticed that why the fault is active the amber lights on the over head console keep lighting up amber, the spanner when it tries to make the call and the i when it drops out.
Mine stopped doing it and I never got to take it in - as they were late connecting and i was too busy to wait around.. And to be honest just too busy to book in.. I think the overhead console haptic switches malfunction cause it.. Not touched that panel since and i actually don't think it is working at all hence why not getting the problem.. When doing it you can try rubbing that panel and that sometimes stops it .. When happening it is incredibly frustrating for sure

Reactions: Tezza Formentor

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Quick update, my car has been back with the dealer twice now and still they are unable to fix it or find the fault.

They've sent a technical enquiry to Seat and waiting a reply.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Quick update, my car has been back with the dealer twice now and still they are unable to fix it or find the fault.

They've sent a technical enquiry to Seat and waiting a reply.
Thanks for update.. I still haven't booked mine back in and it hasnt done it again.. Perhaps I am better waiting for your rectification by sounds of it.. Sorry you are Guinea Pig.. :-| Good luck

Reactions: Tezza Formentor
Oct 30, 2023
Got our Cupra leon estate a month or so ago. All good until last week when I now start up the car and 4/5 times it will start ringing the breakdown or information number.

It seems to be related to the haptic buttons on the roof which don't seem to work properly, but light up when it starts ringing. It's like the shutting of the door is enough to trigger the button somehow.

Thankfully at the moment it only happens at start up and I can hit cancel. Think I'll have to book it in, but wondering if anybody had a fix for this yet?

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
I finally got some feedback from Seat/Cubra yesterday.

Apparently from Cupra it is a faulty control module, they've not said which one as it was down as a part number on the reply from Cupra.

The bad news is apparently the module needs to be uniquely programmed to my car which can only be done by Cupra factory, so no date on a replacement or even a lead time.

I'm currently in a hire car as the fault in mine became more consistent and even touching the lights on the overhead were not stopping the calls.

The only time it seem to stop was when all power was lost to the overhead cluster, no internal lights and couldn't open the sunroof.

The local dealer was dismissive of this becoming a common fault even when I tried showing the service manager this forum, I just asked they send it back to Seat so they could review at the build stage of the cars. I'm sure if more dealers are sending the same information requests as mine they should react and hopefully manage it under a recall.

I'll keep you posted but I would strongly recommend you keep pushing your local dealer to rectify the issue as it could get worse and in all honesty you pay a lot of money for cars so need to be fault free.

Oct 31, 2023
My wife's Formentor doing exactly the same. It's 2 months old and the roof panel stopped working around 1 month in so it's booked in for that and now it's decided to do this. No way of stopping it other than pulling out the fuse!

Oct 30, 2023
My wife's Formentor doing exactly the same. It's 2 months old and the roof panel stopped working around 1 month in so it's booked in for that and now it's decided to do this. No way of stopping it other than pulling out the fuse!
This is clearly quite a wide spread problem for VAG as I have also seen reports on golf mk8 forums of the same thing too.

Likewise our Cupra Leon is only a month old and was fine then suddenly this started happening last week, very annoying!

Was removing the fuse successful in at least stopping it? If yes, could you please let me know where / how etc. Thanks!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This is clearly quite a wide spread problem for VAG as I have also seen reports on golf mk8 forums of the same thing too.

Likewise our Cupra Leon is only a month old and was fine then suddenly this started happening last week, very annoying!

Was removing the fuse successful in at least stopping it? If yes, could you please let me know where / how etc. Thanks!

I don’t know if the breakdown calling function shares a fuse with other functions but if it does, then removing the fuse will stop other things working.

Reactions: MakoST

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
This is clearly a wider issue and seems to impact a lot of vehicles in the VW group.

If your car is new then warranty should cover this just don't let your local dealer fob you off.

Video the fault as it happens, that was the only thing that got this moving with the dealer.

I'd not remove fuses if the car is new, it's correct fuses will have other systems running through them and you don't want to give the dealer a reason to say you broke something else by doing it.

It is a very frustrating problem and my guess a recall will take place seeing this as a more widespread issue.

Once I know which module is faulty I'll post on here.

Shame noone from cupra is on the forum as i know BMW assign people to monitor forums.

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Not sure why they'd not want to be open and transparent. Faults of this nature are frustrating and potentially lose customers of future sales.

Showing your customers that you are trying to rectify issues with them will see people return even if at the time its frustrating.

I am already regretting moving from a BM to a cupra because it feels that the after service isn't efficient enough.

Such a shame cubra uk.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not sure why they'd not want to be open and transparent. Faults of this nature are frustrating and potentially lose customers of future sales.

Showing your customers that you are trying to rectify issues with them will see people return even if at the time its frustrating.

I am already regretting moving from a BM to a cupra because it feels that the after service isn't efficient enough.

Such a shame cubra uk.
I have a VW and from what I’ve seen on various VW forums, dealers in general tend to be quite dismissive of forum content. It seems more often than not, when a customer highlights an issue with their car that’s commonplace amongst forum members, the dealer’s stock answer tends to be along the lines of “we’ve never seen that issue before; you can’t believe what you read on forums” 🤔.

That’s not to say forums aren’t monitored by VW UK and / or VW dealers.

Oct 30, 2023
Not had a chance to speak to a dealer yet as I've been too busy however I think I have found a way to stop it triggering at start up, on my car at least.

If I get in and switch on the ignition and not the engine, let all the screens start up, fully connect my phone with android auto and then start up the engine after it doesn't happen. Wonder if anybody else has found this? Does make me wonder if it's a software issue rather than a hardware (or both!).

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Just dropped my car back into the dealer, they are replacing the sos module.

Once I get it back I'll run a test for a few weeks and give an update if the replacement part has resolved the issue.

Some great feedback on here,

Thanks all.

Nov 11, 2023
So relived to hear there's starting to be movement on this. Mine has been doing exactly the same, including not connecting to Android phone. It became worse this week, happening every journey for whole journey. I was switching engine off at every traffic light to try and reset but nothing worked. I have a video and have booked it in this week. I'm lucky my dealer is on my road and are very helpful. Its now stopped but the 'interior door light off' button is permanently illuminated and the spanner, SOS, and i buttons aren't working plus none of the interior lights are working. Maybe this means the SOS module had gone completely? I'll post after it's been looked at.

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Got my car back and to my surprise the dealer confirmed that they had 2 more booked in for the same fault and felt it was becoming a common fault.

One thing I hadn't noticed before is with the interior lights now working is them on when I have one of the doors open.

The dealer confirmed it was a faulty sos module and that the whole unit on the overhead was a single component.

It seems OK now and looks like seat and maybe VW are becoming aware of the problem.

Reactions: Tanyap57
Mar 12, 2020
I have the same issue.

Here is a repeatable (but gross) fix to stop it immediately.

This seems to happen when the heating comes on and there's moisture in the air which triggers the super sensitive breakdown button.

Get a small amount of spit on your thumb and wipe it on the button... No lie, it works every time and immediately stops it from calling.

You may laugh, but its a nightmare when it cuts off android auto multiple times then shouts at you and then android auto stops working.

Please someone let me know if it works for you because its hilarious having to do this every morning before work...:cry::D

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
After almost 2 weeks, all is going well with my formentor. It's a relief to have it working right and now is a good car again.

If you are having the issue please put pressure on your local dealer because you pay a lot of money for you car and it needs to be right.

Reactions: MakoST