Car keeps calling breakdown number over and over

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I have the same issue.

Here is a repeatable (but gross) fix to stop it immediately.

This seems to happen when the heating comes on and there's moisture in the air which triggers the super sensitive breakdown button.

Get a small amount of spit on your thumb and wipe it on the button... No lie, it works every time and immediately stops it from calling.

You may laugh, but its a nightmare when it cuts off android auto multiple times then shouts at you and then android auto stops working.

Please someone let me know if it works for you because its hilarious having to do this every morning before work...:cry::D
Tried putting some electrical tape over the button?

WorcestershireSpire

Nov 22, 2023
After almost 2 weeks, all is going well with my formentor. It's a relief to have it working right and now is a good car again.

If you are having the issue please put pressure on your local dealer because you pay a lot of money for you car and it needs to be right.
Similar problem here, new Cupra Leon VZ1 from April 2023, now with 8k miles.

Interior Drivers side haptic light coming on and off completely random and sometimes then calling emergency number.

Can happen after 30 mins driving, might not happen on a 2 hour drive, but getting more regular, just completely random

Luckily had a few passengers in the car and filmed this happening.

Booked into main dealer to diagnose (first ever visit).
Their techs could not find anything nothing on logs apparently, so glad I had filmed it as it is so frustrating.
Actually drives you insane when its dark!

They say they are going to replace SOS module and I await confirmation of part order and date to replace under warranty.

I will revert back as to how this pans out as it will be my first test of Cupra as a brand and the dealer in resolving the issue.

In other news the dealership fitted its first new fireproof engine cover, which gives the engine bay some new found modesty.

Attachments

• eng cover.jpg
    eng cover.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 61
Oct 31, 2023
My wife's Formentor doing exactly the same. It's 2 months old and the roof panel stopped working around 1 month in so it's booked in for that and now it's decided to do this. No way of stopping it other than pulling out the fuse!
Update on mine, panel has been replaced, the dealer knew about the problem and had replaced several before for the brakedown call issue but not one for the sunroof (which was the main issue on ours). There was a born having the same panel replaced on the same day. I wish VAG didn't move to touch panels and attempt to mask it as making the car futuristic when really we know it's just to save money on buttons!

Oct 30, 2023
Took the Leon into the dealership today. They fitted a new interior light / sos module and also did a software update. The paperwork says I also got the engine cover, but I have not had a chance to check yet!

The interior lights for now, at least, appear to be working! I'll update in a few weeks if this has resolved the issue. Seems they also had a Formentor in with exactly the same problem...

Reactions: WorcestershireSpire

Tezza Formentor

Oct 11, 2023
Update on mine, panel has been replaced, the dealer knew about the problem and had replaced several before for the brakedown call issue but not one for the sunroof (which was the main issue on ours). There was a born having the same panel replaced on the same day. I wish VAG didn't move to touch panels and attempt to mask it as making the car futuristic when really we know it's just to save money on buttons!
Glad you got it sorted, I'd imagine that they've sent out a fault report of some sort to all dealers or when the dealer has a person bring in a car with the fault it flags up the actions they need to take.

The problem with a lot of dealers now is those that repair the car are not allowed to do anything if nothing shows on the diagnostic so they have to seek manufacturer instruction.

I was told twice mine didn't have a fault and they didn't even want to see the video, once I posted the video to them things started moving but I believe its because it was becoming a bigger issue.

They really should be looking at a recall because I think it can impact the safety of your driving.

Glad you got yours sorted.

WorcestershireSpire

Nov 22, 2023
Similar problem here, new Cupra Leon VZ1 from April 2023, now with 8k miles.

Interior Drivers side haptic light coming on and off completely random and sometimes then calling emergency number.

Can happen after 30 mins driving, might not happen on a 2 hour drive, but getting more regular, just completely random

Luckily had a few passengers in the car and filmed this happening.

Booked into main dealer to diagnose (first ever visit).
Their techs could not find anything nothing on logs apparently, so glad I had filmed it as it is so frustrating.
Actually drives you insane when its dark!

They say they are going to replace SOS module and I await confirmation of part order and date to replace under warranty.

I will revert back as to how this pans out as it will be my first test of Cupra as a brand and the dealer in resolving the issue.

In other news the dealership fitted its first new fireproof engine cover, which gives the engine bay some new found modesty.
Got new SOS Module fitted last week, took just over one hour whilst waiting in new dealership in the shire. Part took two weeks after initial visit to dealership
I'm out tomorrow on a long run so hopefully this will solve the random disco, fingers crossed.
Think the dealers recognise this now as a 'common fault'

Reactions: LetsForment
Dec 12, 2023
Hi all

Cupra Born driver here. Has anyone had any luck with the replacement panel?

I noticed the passenger safety airbag light turning on and off constantly causing the car to call support every time. It’s already been in to a garage and apparently the VW ID3 has the same issue (and fix), however there is no fix or timeline for the Born.

I’ve spoken to support countless times and they’ve booked me in for 24 Jan (earliest available slot).

I’ve sent them videos of the malfunction and they’ve called out the breakdown service. The diagnostics kit showed over 20 faults including communication errors.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

WorcestershireSpire

Nov 22, 2023
Hi all

Cupra Born driver here. Has anyone had any luck with the replacement panel?

I noticed the passenger safety airbag light turning on and off constantly causing the car to call support every time. It’s already been in to a garage and apparently the VW ID3 has the same issue (and fix), however there is no fix or timeline for the Born.

I’ve spoken to support countless times and they’ve booked me in for 24 Jan (earliest available slot).

I’ve sent them videos of the malfunction and they’ve called out the breakdown service. The diagnostics kit showed over 20 faults including communication errors.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sounds to me like the sos module. If you can get a passenger to film it whilst driving, also 5 weeks before being seen at the dealer is quite a long time. I’m assuming your vehicle is under warranty, I would insist you try and get in before as my replacement took 2 weeks. My view is that these are dangerous when faulty….. my light show so distracting this time of year when it’s basically dark 18 hours a day in the uk.

Dec 12, 2023
Sounds to me like the sos module. If you can get a passenger to film it whilst driving, also 5 weeks before being seen at the dealer is quite a long time. I’m assuming your vehicle is under warranty, I would insist you try and get in before as my replacement took 2 weeks. My view is that these are dangerous when faulty….. my light show so distracting this time of year when it’s basically dark 18 hours a day in the uk.
The car is still under warranty but Seat don’t actually care. Raised a formal complaint, we’ll see if that goes anywhere.

I assume there’s a passenger safety issue if the airbag keeps turning itself on and off constantly.

Is your issue resolved now the module has been replaced?

WorcestershireSpire

Nov 22, 2023
The car is still under warranty but Seat don’t actually care. Raised a formal complaint, we’ll see if that goes anywhere.

I assume there’s a passenger safety issue if the airbag keeps turning itself on and off constantly.

Is your issue resolved now the module has been replaced?
First drives today total 4 hours, no issues to date

Oct 30, 2023
Touching lots of wood whilst typing this, but all good here since the replacement of the module.

Jun 20, 2023
The exact same problem i face too. The car is also new (2 months old) and the panel of the sunroof i think it was from the 1st day faulty, but due to the fact i wasn't really using the soonroof, i didn't realized it until it started making the brakedown calls at the end of the 3rd week of ownership.

I booked the first appointment to have a look at it, and they did, as they said to me, a software update, but the same day i went to collect the car (08/12/2023) it happened again in the parking of the dealership.

When i called the day after the service department, they adviced me to make a video if it happens again, which i did and today the car is again at the service point, with the videos sent to the technical department by email.

I am really curious to see what will be the result of the technical inspection.

here is a link of the video with the problem we all facing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/196MRPaV33WaqJuKjOz5A8WfZdQw9MYsV/view

When breakdown calls takes place, the sunroof and the interior front lights works fine. When the brakedown calls stops at some point, the interior lights and sunroof stops working. Also, it disconnects connected phone, stops radio playing and generally any action you do in infotainment system is impossible. The volume cannot be lowered and even if you lower it to stop hearing the calls, in the next attempt it brings it back... SO FRASTRATING!

The dealership is Unicars Ltd @ Cyprus.

Jun 20, 2023
[UPDATE]

After the last technical inspection (18/12/2023) @ Unicars dealership in Cyprus, the technicians, following as they said to me the protocol of the Factory, proceeded with an update of the software into version 1969 (last one). They thought the problem was resolved, but unfortunately, even after the update, the same day the problem occurred again. So, for other members who might face this problem, they need to know that the software update will NOT resolve the issue.

I still believe, taking into account the above comments of other users here in the forum, that the problem is exclusively a malfunction of a part of the sunroof/sos module or something connected with these.

The dealership unfortunately seems reluctant to change the part, or they are trying to avoid it, due to the fact its quite expensive (i think around €1.000). For that reason, i had to sent a non pleasant email to Unicars and i am waiting for their responce.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
One thing to keep in mind is that the infotainment software is only partially involved. Each subsystem has it's own ECU/software/chip (whatever you want to call it ).

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Well thought i would update as the OP. I basically booked in and the appointment was cancelled and problem stopped happening so I didn't book in again till oil change which was today. Even though it seemed to be working ok since they are replacing the module but need to wait for the back ordered part.. Considering the car service took two months to book in I would have hoped they might have had the part on order anyway after i told them the problem. However they will be replacing at some point in the future

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members