Car not sitting level - does it matter?

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I recently had a small bump which resulted in most of the suspension components being replaced at the front left corner under insurance.

I noticed the other day when walking up to the car from behind in a car park that it appeared lower on the right side than the left and, after some unscientific measuring using my hand, I've determined that gap between tyre and arch on the front left is almost an inch greater than front right and that the whole car is sort of pitched diagonally back onto the rear right - hopefully you can visualise this!

I checked it on a relatively flat surface and have checked it twice more in different locations with roughly the same result. I've not noticed it affecting the handling or anything so far and I've done about 500 miles since the repair.

So I was wondering whether this really matters and whether the repairing garage should have replaced the front suspension components as a pair even although the right side of the car was undamaged?

I'd be interested in people's opinions before I contact the repairing garage about it, thanks.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
I'd be taking it back and voicing your concern. It just ain't right.

The test will come when you are on the limit of cornering, or do some emergency braking. Then you may come a cropper.

If they replace suspension components, it would be a safety issue to ensure there was no unevenness. Did you get tyre replaced? That should have been replaced as a pair too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I recently had a small bump which resulted in most of the suspension components being replaced at the front left corner under insurance.

I noticed the other day when walking up to the car from behind in a car park that it appeared lower on the right side than the left and, after some unscientific measuring using my hand, I've determined that gap between tyre and arch on the front left is almost an inch greater than front right and that the whole car is sort of pitched diagonally back onto the rear right - hopefully you can visualise this!

I checked it on a relatively flat surface and have checked it twice more in different locations with roughly the same result. I've not noticed it affecting the handling or anything so far and I've done about 500 miles since the repair.

So I was wondering whether this really matters and whether the repairing garage should have replaced the front suspension components as a pair even although the right side of the car was undamaged?

I'd be interested in people's opinions before I contact the repairing garage about it, thanks.

That doesn't sound right. The only natural reason for this that comes to mind is the spring on the newly refurbished side hasn't 'settled down' yet.

Get it checked out immediately.

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK

Far from right. Get it back pronto before you have another bump!

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
bet they've used non-matching components, so you've got a mismatch on the riding height.
Like having standard settings one side and FR the other. Geometry is important and could cause an accident or make one worse.
And if it's a serious enough accident to warrant a check by experts afterwards (unexplained serious/fatal) it might give your insurer wriggle room...you could be driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quick reply, a car sitting at a different observable height would fail an MOT unless the rules have changed since the last time this happened to me. It is sometimes a sign of a cracked spring. I would be getting a full alignment check to loot at all the suspension and steering geometry and I agree that your insurance could wriggle out of a claim if they could prove that you knew your were driving a car with a fault. Your braking and cornering performance will be affected and it may be too late to find out the consequences of this under emergency or extreme situations.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Cheers all, I'm going to take it back down to the garage on Saturday and get it looked at.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Finally had a chance to take the car in to have this looked at.

According to the mechanic, when they fixed the suspension they hadn't sat the spring in its cup properly. He said it's meant to lie in a groove but when they'd tightened the bolt that holds the spring it may have twisted around and come out of the groove resulting in a higher ride height at that corner.

Anyway upshot is it's all sorted and the car is back on an even keel.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise