Car Scratched During Service

chrislee12345

May 8, 2008
West Yorks
We had our 57 reg diesel FR 170 serviced at a main dealers yesterday and when we got it home noticed several scratches on the rear bumper, including a flap of paint, about the size of a finger nail, hanging off. I know, absolutely 100%, that the scratches weren't there before it was taken to the garage - I had got something out of the boot 10 minutes earlier and would have noticed it

I phoned the service manager at the garage who asked me to take it back to him for a look but it couldn't possibly have been any of his technicians as they all report mishaps apparently.

I received a text message, whilst i was waiting, to collect the car saying that the work had been done and it was awaiting washing and vacuuming. When the car came back from being washed and vacced it was still wet through and the interior had not been touched - I wasn't too bothered about this but when i got home, all the water had dried off and the car was still as dirty as before - unlike last years service when it was gleaming. Again, I wasn't too bothered about it not being cleaned but it was at this point my wife noticed the scratches on the back bumper.

If the car had been gleaming they would have stood out like a sore thumb but they are visible enough anyway - especially with the flap of paint hanging off.

As I said, we are going back to the dealer on Thursday, although i'm not too hopeful of a satisfactory outcome because how do we prove the scratches weren't there before?

Anybody else encountered this? What was the outcome?

Any advice welcomed!!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
same thing happened to my mates fiesta car went in 1st service as good as new, big dent in door when he picked up size of a foot ball, after making a complaint first to the service manager who said? it must have been in the door when you brought it in.
After contacting ford the dealer put it right new door skin, so stick to your guns

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Car dealers,,,,,,,,,,the place where your pride and joy is treated like just a job ticket.

I have had damage done at stealers, I now have 2 rules when taking my car in for any work and I don't care how silly they think I am.

Rule 1, get the service manager or receptionist to look over your car and report any damage on it when it is dropped of. (they will have a form for this but hardly ever use them)

Rule 2, always tell them not to wash your car and leave a post it note on the steering wheel saying the same.

You will find your car parked in the best parking bay they have when you return rather than stuffed between 2 4X4's with only 2 inches to spare.

Try it :yes:

Don't they give you a form and go over it anyway with you like thye do with courtesy cars? So any damage before hand over is noted?

I always request they do because I know what people can be like, they come in, do the job they're asked to without a care for another aspect, like paintwork. I know my mum's car had been damaged and they tried to disguise it with a touch up pen... just stick to it. If it's the truth fight it till you get it rectified.

Name and shame dealer? who was it?

chrislee12345

May 8, 2008
West Yorks
Don't they give you a form and go over it anyway with you like thye do with courtesy cars? So any damage before hand over is noted?

I always request they do because I know what people can be like, they come in, do the job they're asked to without a care for another aspect, like paintwork. I know my mum's car had been damaged and they tried to disguise it with a touch up pen... just stick to it. If it's the truth fight it till you get it rectified.

Name and shame dealer? who was it?

They handed me a sheet back with all the checks that they had done whilst doing the service which had a section to report any body work damage, scratches etc. They had not recorded anything on that - but they shouldn't have because there aren't any!! Or should i say, weren't any :cry:

I don't want to name and shame the dealer yet, I will give them opportunity to put things right first.

I will certainly be taking someone around the car next time, prior to handing the keys over.

Chris

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
we go round cars with customers marking any damage before we take the key's this way if anything happens like it has to you, we know if they were there before, sadly i dont think you'll get a good out come, at best they'll probably get chips away on site to blow it in and make a mess.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.