Carbon cleaning

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Hi guys

Has anyone had engine carbon cleaning done?

A friend is having his diesel done soon, so thinking of getting mine done at the same time. It has many great reviews, so thought I'd try it.

Cheers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that the only engine cleaning method you want to get done is blasting the inlet port area with crushed walnut shells - is that what your friend had done to his diesel?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
No he hasn't had it done yet, has it booked for end of March. This is the company

http://www.enginecarbonclean.com/

That's who I used and the guy that did mine was brilliant.

There are different `carbon cleaners` on the market. Some use cheap kit, some use nasty chemicals, some do not. You need to pick a good one.

You also get a diagnostic of your car, fault code read outs etc. Very thorough and professional.

I was very pleased and the clean did make the car more responsive and a bit smoother (95,000 miles).

Reactions: MiTz

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
That's who I used and the guy that did mine was brilliant.

There are different `carbon cleaners` on the market. Some use cheap kit, some use nasty chemicals, some do not. You need to pick a good one.

You also get a diagnostic of your car, fault code read outs etc. Very thorough and professional.

I was very pleased and the clean did make the car more responsive and a bit smoother (95,000 miles).

Nice one, sounds good. I'll report back when I've had it done, will see if there's any improvement at all.

Cheers

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
What car you got and what's the mileage?

My car is a 15 plate Leon 1.4 TSI with 70k. My mates is a 15 plate Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel with 90k

Mine's not running badly, but just has a few off days here and there. My mates is driving like crap though, even after a main dealer service, so possibly a blocked dpf or something.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My car is a 15 plate Leon 1.4 TSI with 70k. My mates is a 15 plate Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel with 90k

Mine's not running badly, but just has a few off days here and there. My mates is driving like crap though, even after a main dealer service, so possibly a blocked dpf or something.

Ok cool. No idea whether it makes a bigger/better difference with petrol or diesel. Generally, if you're under say 50k, you won't notice much difference. When the car has more miles on it you tend to notice more of a benefit.

They are good at checking everything else, so if he has an issue, hopefully they'll pick up on it.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: MiTz

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'd think that the only engine cleaning method you want to get done is blasting the inlet port area with crushed walnut shells

I spoke to a garage that can do that and they say they aren't as keen on it these days. They said that the blasting damages the surface of the parts and you get much quicker build up afterwards. They said the best way is to take everything apart and clean the bits by hand.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
What's the cost of this treatment?

Yeh £99 per car and I believe they offer a discount for multiple cars in the same booking.

I think this process will be one of the safest for the components. Well I'm gonna try it anyway, hopefully i get positive results.

Fer16v

Feb 2, 2020
Spain
I spoke to a garage that can do that and they say they aren't as keen on it these days. They said that the blasting damages the surface of the parts and you get much quicker build up afterwards. They said the best way is to take everything apart and clean the bits by hand.

Ohhh God. So they DO mean that you have to disassemble a whole intake, head and valves to do a proper job, don't they? I don't think micro walnuts will damage heat-treated surfaces. Prefer to go with the blasting...

Regards

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Ohhh God. So they DO mean that you have to disassemble a whole intake, head and valves to do a proper job, don't they?

I don't know, I didn't ask. My car's on 40K just now so I don't think I'm needing to do it. I can give you the phone number of the company any you can ask them if you like? They're up here in Scotland but their opinion might be helpful?

Fer16v

Feb 2, 2020
Spain
No mate, i'm not interested. My car is just 1k miles. What i wonder is the fact that i'm pretty sure it's even cheaper to install an oil catch can instead...

Regards

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No mate, i'm not interested. My car is just 1k miles. What i wonder is the fact that i'm pretty sure it's even cheaper to install an oil catch can instead...

Or better yet, not feed crankcase crap into the intake at all. I remember when cars started doing that, about 93 maybe? Caused issues back then too. I reckon you could bodge together a pipe to dump the gas outside in a way that wouldn't be spotted my an MOT tester. I think you'd still get carbon on the valves but nowhere near as much as you do with crap being fed into the intake.

CupraRST

Feb 25, 2020
NL

Regards

Using an oil catch can will be effective, but you will have to empty the reservoir every 1500-2000 km. And get rid of the residu.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Using an oil catch can will be effective, but you will have to empty the reservoir every 1500-2000 km. And get rid of the residu.

Also, if you find that very little is being collected in the catch tank - then is it really doing its job well enough to stop the build up of nasty stuff behind the inlet valve heads?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members