Carpet soaking in car?

Jan 29, 2023
Hi everyone, complete novice when it comes to cars, basically i drive 2015 leon, noticed back left footwell carpet was wet, didnt explore it further until today when cleaning the car that the front passenger carpet was wet too, checked the layer underneath and it was completely soaking, but drivers side front and back is fine. Just wondering has anyone had this happen or know where i should start to check? Had a look at the door seals and they’re all ok so don’t think they’re the problem. Any help is appreciated, thanks, steph

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm no expert, but if my understanding is correct, its sometimes causes by drain holes being bunged up with dirt on the doors or sunroof (if you have one).

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Rear door speaker seals is a fairly common water ingress point on the mk7 Golf, and as the Leon is essentially very similar to the Golf, it might well use the same (poor quality) seals between the speakers and doors. If this is the cause of your problem, then check to see if the design of the floor pan allows water in the rear footwell to ‘travel’ along forwards in the front footwell; if it can, that would explain why the front footwell is also wet.

You can test to see if it’s the speaker seal that’s the cause of the problem - open the rear door and pour water over the outside window. If the exit point of some of that water is between the bottom edge of the door card and the door rather than through the door drainage holes, then it’s likely to be the speaker seal that needs replacing.

Reactions: Damo H
Jul 27, 2021
Can I join this chat - mines a Leon FR 2019 with wet carpet on the front passenger side. The water is coming out from behind the bonnet-release lever. Can anyone give me any idea where that can be coming in?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can I join this chat - mines a Leon FR 2019 with wet carpet on the front passenger side. The water is coming out from behind the bonnet-release lever. Can anyone give me any idea where that can be coming in?
Does the water smell like your screen wash ?
Is the rear washer less effective than it used to be ?
The pipe for the rear washer runs passed the bonnet release lever.

Jul 27, 2021
Thanks for your advice on how to remove the bonnet lever. I may still need to do that, but the water coming out from behind it is definitely rainwater & not screenwash & the supply pressure to the rear screen window is good. So it looks like I'll firstly need to check for any blocked drain-holes around the bulkhead & doors. Will let you know if helpful to others....

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks for your advice on how to remove the bonnet lever. I may still need to do that, but the water coming out from behind it is definitely rainwater & not screenwash & the supply pressure to the rear screen window is good. So it looks like I'll firstly need to check for any blocked drain-holes around the bulkhead & doors. Will let you know if helpful to others....
This may give you some ideas where to look

Jan 29, 2023
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you manage to find a solution
So I left into the garage they done all the usual checks, only thing they found when they removed the cover from underneath the car, this is how I can describe it in most simple terms, basically drivers and passengers side of car underneath there is 2 holes and they have a plug/cover on them, except on the passenger side there was none. Somehow it had come off and road water was continuously getting in. They covered it and sealed it and it hasn’t been an issue since. Hope this helps and makes sense lol.

Jul 27, 2021
Re-water ingress in passenger footwell of 19-plate Leon FR - I have found that it only happens in heavy rain and specifically if the car is parked facing up a steep slope (our old driveway) It's sort-of solved itself because we've moved house and the drive is flat - no more wet carpet!! I'm guessing that it is a blocked drain hole somewhere in the bulkhead, but haven't got round to further investigation.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.