CarPlay unit for PFL 6j

ruida_silva

Feb 6, 2018
I’ve searched on here, internet and Facebook but haven’t really found a number one option. I’ve been told an xtrons unit although I can’t seem to find any and also a decent Sony or pioneer unit and get a fascia fitting kit but all together seems quite pricey £140 just for a fitting kit then the unit
facb55b32cc4faf39f4d8e79a409fc97.jpg

but I still don’t know which fitting kit as there’s various. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
I bought xtrons specific for 6j so came with fitting kit. Talks to cars canbus so steering controls work, comes up if door is open etc. I didn’t bother researching it TBH and on the whole it’s OK. In everything else, I’ve installed jvc or pioneer with fascia kits, adapters etc & the interfaces always seem better (but then I’m not a fan of android) but for price as an out the box kit, I can’t complain

ruida_silva

Feb 6, 2018
Do you happen to have a link or do you order it through Xtrons website? Which I could use my current RCD330 but they had to make it a different design

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Chinese units can be pretty flaky, and the audio quality isn't the best.
Unfortunately you get what you pay for, there are some reasonably cheap CarPlay units from Sony/Pioneer.

Wireless CarPlay is now available on some of the higher end models.

Reactions: ruida_silva

ruida_silva

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah, might have to get the £130 fitting kit fron incartec and then a sony unit but £130 for a fitting kit alone is ridiculous

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
I just fitted a Pioneer unit to mine and spent a small fortune on various cables.

Needed one which relocated the hazard and passenger airbag to the lower position (from your pic I don't think you need this) and needed another one to interface with the steering wheel controls. The button relocation harness was cheaper at Dynamic Sounds, but the steering button interface they had was more expensive.

My research suggested that all the various resellers were selling the Connects2 products. Depending on what your setup looks like it will be one of these I think:

Searching by the part number I found some were cheaper directly on websites, others were cheaper on eBay (sometimes from the same retailer)

I got the CTSST001.2AA from Bass Junkies through eBay for £49.99 (price correct April 2023) and had some minor issues with a broken clip - they were great to deal with and it got sorted quickly. Interestingly what they supplied was in a T1 Audio branded bag and the instructions list the part number as T1-ST1v2

I also got the cheapest fascia I could find on eBay and think that was probably a mistake as it's not the greatest fit and was quite fiddly to install. It's good enough and I'm not changing it, but if I was doing it again I'd spend a bit more on that.

As mine was a DAB unit I also got a new antenna.

The kits are convenient, but I saved myself a fair bit of money by identifying the various components and buying them separately.

All works fine and I'm happy with it. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Reactions: ruida_silva

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
Do you happen to have a link or do you order it through Xtrons website? Which I could use my current RCD330 but they had to make it a different design
This is what I bought then the dab add on. Make sure you get the usb pen shaped dab unit as the new square one as a connector that is impossible to connect up to any roof antenna. If running windscreen one then it will be fine but I replaced shark fin as the roll cage is in the way of the A pillar so couldn’t get a decent earth or signal

ruida_silva

Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for the help guys, I went to buy the car saturday morning, travelled an hour and half and he had a customer in buying it. He could've at least called. Not a big issue as I found a 2016 FR with the 1.4 ecotsi and got that instead

Sic2014

Apr 7, 2023
Needed one which relocated the hazard and passenger airbag to the lower position (from your pic I don't think you need this) and needed another one to interface with the steering wheel controls. The button relocation harness was cheaper at Dynamic Sounds, but the steering button interface they had was more expensive.
Can you tell me more about the button relocating? Do I need new buttons too, or just wires? I'm not sure if mine are all functional but the only new ones I've found were at Dynamic Sounds and they don't ship to Finland. I haven't been able to find any kits, because of those buttons. I'm thinking I could relocate them and then get an easy to install kit for the rest. I have zero experience with car audio or electronics, but the Cupras standard navigation thingie is useless and un-updateable.
Thanks!

Edit: As luck would have it, I found info about this in similar threads. Not sure if I want to spend £174+ toll/ taxes just on buttons and wires :oops:

Last edited:

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
Can you tell me more about the button relocating? Do I need new buttons too, or just wires? I'm not sure if mine are all functional but the only new ones I've found were at Dynamic Sounds and they don't ship to Finland. I haven't been able to find any kits, because of those buttons. I'm thinking I could relocate them and then get an easy to install kit for the rest. I have zero experience with car audio or electronics, but the Cupras standard navigation thingie is useless and un-updateable.
Thanks!

Edit: As luck would have it, I found info about this in similar threads. Not sure if I want to spend £174+ toll/ taxes just on buttons and wires :oops:
Hi Sic2014

I think it depends on what buttons you already have. I needed new buttons to move the heated windscreen and hazards which were by my stereo down to the bottom by the gearstick.

I also cringed at the new price, but ended up buying some buttons second hand from eBay for £30. With hindsight, the harness itself was pretty simple and I could easily have made my own with a few wires and a soldering iron, but I shopped around and bought some ready made ones. Can't remember who I got them from now but once you've got the part number you can search for the best price. There's pretty much only one company that makes them so it's just a question of finding the retailer who is giving the best discount. Again, I found the best price on eBay rather than buying direct online.

Had a really good experience with BassJunkies on the harness which goes to the steering column buttons, and they had the best price on that.

The whole swap was a lot more expensive than I would have liked, but I needed hands free calling and it was realistically the best option for me. I could have got one of those rechargeable things that clip to the sun visor for a lot less, but I just know that I'd forget to charge it....

Sic2014

Apr 7, 2023
Hey,

thanks for your help. I checked my buttons and it seems like the ones not in use, are not functional. So I would have to get new ones. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Since it's a Cupra, it has the Garmin computer thingie on top of the dashboard, I was just hoping for a updated and faster navigator. But google maps will have to do. Thanks again, you helped a lot. At least I didn't get stuck with a new stereo, that won't fit anywhere :ROFLMAO:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members