cars are annoying at times.. agreed? wont hold charge

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
:wtf:all started off when I over took a car the battery light came on, was alright for a day or two, didn't drive much, but one night loads of lights appear...

traction control / abs / seat belt warning / battery etc etc

and i turn car off and it wont start up...

I discovered this below the alternator

rob.JPG
[/quote]

RE connected them and started the car (with help of emergency battery charger thing) it starts straight away but then dies down and stops after a minute

anyone know whats going on?

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
lad at garage reckons its part of loom and wont come seperate,

i used those crimp clips and put them back that way but that hasn't worked...

reckon the plug has something in it that i need?

Dec 20, 2007
possibly, cant you remove the plug ? add some wire on to it ? might make you gain a better connection, does vag-com not work on things like this or is the disc in the post lol :|

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
sold my laptop and its too wet to be ****ing about with long usb cables to pc :lol:

the cables coming out of the plug are far too short to do anything with :(

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Id take off the connector jase and just put some female spade connectors on it insted. Looks like its the power steering pump connector thats broke off. You checked all fuses including the ones on the battery?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
lad at garage reckons its part of loom and wont come seperate

well thats crap - needs to look harder

VAG do replacement connector housings and double ended looms just for such a repair used to have a microfiche listing all of em

if you have the black section in hand grab the part number off it will make life a lot easier and is normally the part you need anyway :)

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
357-972-752
thats what its got on there

well thats ya part number -listed as power steering something or other- will need to match the terminals inside which can be a pain - easy if you use catalogue EP 198

tip: ask the workshop guys as they usually have the VAG kit with various ones in lying about saying that if you have the plastic still all you need is the repair wires anyway

depneds on wiring size but ask for these

000 979 133 1.0mm
000979 133A 1.0mm (gold plated)
000 979 225 2.5mm

each of these is a small yellow wire with a terminal installed each end that you cut in the centre and splice/solder in to the original wires

be warned if you order em from memory they are minimum of 5 but not too expensive anyway

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Fuse box is under the steering wheel jase just pull out the little section underneath it (you'l know when you see it) the fuses are then behind another little black cover to the right hand side when your looking. And theres also fuses on top of the battery you'l see then easy enough

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
I believe that is the power steering fluid pressure switch.

If i had to repair that at work or on my own car, I would

+ remove connector plug from the sensor,

+ then depin the connector plug, noting which colour wire came from each connector terminal (i.e take the old terminals out of it), the terminals will come out where the wires go into it, the rubber grommets will also come out with the wires/terminals (save the grommets).

+ take the terminals to a VW/Seat garage and ask for a wiring repair kit to match the terminals (this is basically a yellow length of wire with a terminal on either end) also ask for 2 red duraseal connectors (basically a crimp connector for joining wires with heat shrink around it to weatherproof the join). These should all be in stock as its a requirement by VW, so shouldn't need to be ordered in.

+ Cut the repair kit in half or to a suitable length, put a saved grommet onto the repair kit wire

+ Trim original wiring to length and crimp one side of duraseal connector to it

+ attach wiring repair wire to other side of duraseal connector and crimp

+ repeat wiring connecting sequence for other wire (remember the grommet)

+ Take one of the yellow wired repair terminals and note which original coloured wire you attached it to, now insert the connector into the connector in the side which you took the original coloured wire from.

+ take other repair terminal wiring and push terminal into connector, this should also relate to the original coloured wirings, which its connected to, position in the connector.

+ now push the grommets on the wiring repair sections (yellow wiring) into the connector to make weatherproof.

+ Use as lighter to carefully heat shrink the duraseal connectors (which connect the repair wiring to original wiring)

+ Tape everything up and generally tidy up to make repair look like original wiring.

If you wanted you could just depin connector one wire at a time, and take 1 wire and terminal to dealers, then repair one wire at a time to ensure that they are in same position in connector.
Hope thats clear and understandable would be easier with pics but hey I'm not at work at mo, lol.

Last edited:

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
RE connected them and started the car (with help of emergency battery charger thing) it starts straight away but then dies down and stops after a minute

anyone know whats going on?

When you get it started is the battery/alternator light illuminated on the dashboard.
If so most likely a buggered alternator, or possibly wiring fault between alternator and battery etc.

Where are you located in country, if local I'd have a look at it for you.

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
When you get it started is the battery/alternator light illuminated on the dashboard.
If so most likely a buggered alternator, or possibly wiring fault between alternator and battery etc.

Where are you located in country, if local I'd have a look at it for you.

mid wales unfortunatley as it would be nice to have a pro's opinion...

surley a fuses would cause all this would it not. im going to have a look in the morning..
also gonna get a voltmeter on the alternator and battery

Yeah the battery light is on...

but I never lost any power steering :confused:

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Yeh the power steering sensor wiring shouldn't affect the battery charging, just measures the pressure being made by power steering pump.

Judging by what you said about happening one nite then not happening until a couple of days later suggests its not fuse related due to fault starting intermittently. If a fuse had gone you wouldn't have had a couple of days where the light didn't illuminate on the dash, would have just been constantly on.

From what you've described I'd say it was either the alternator itself or the wiring to or from the alternator. If it was alternator belt or tensioner related as has been suggested, it would be accompanied by some squeeling as the belt slipped etc if the belt were loose, and if the belt was too tight it would wear the alternator bearing which would rumble.

Last edited:

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
I couldn't see any fuses gone :S

not sure which ones would control the starting TBH..

A multimeter on the alternator should show which is at fault right? i started it just now with the emergency battery charger and left it one for a bit... was running fine until i disconnected it, sounds like alternator doesnt it..

jason-jm

Sep 13, 2007
update........

got a voltmeter,

charged the battery up over night, car started first time,

voltmeter read 12v and began dropping gradually on battery,,

alternator read 0.10v :|

my guess is **** alternator.. correct? :p

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.