Centre Console Buttons not working

Mar 25, 2022
Hi,

I have an issue whereby the centre console buttons do not work (Mirrors/folding mirrors/TCS/Central Lock/Unlock). The LEDs light up and the 12v socket works, but other than this I get no response from any of the buttons. I have checked fuses, and as far as I can tell (seems to be location 48? - please correct me if I am wrong) all seems fine, so a little baffled by the lack of response.

Any ideas/suggestions very welcome

Thanks
Miles

Tell

Staff member
This might not work. Might not have anything to do with it. Have you disconnected the battery and re-connected. The Ateca and suspect Leon 3s have a retraining procedure for mirrors in on central locking and synchronised windows down. It doesn't knock out central locking thou just the synchronised closing of mirrors and one touch. Whether this was ever put on to subsequent Alteas I pass. If it's not that, don't bother. My notes I keep.

>>
Resetting one-touch opening and closing
The automatic open and close function will
not work if the battery has been temporarily
disconnected. The function can be restored
as follows:
– Close the window as far as it will go by lift-
ing and holding the electric window switch.
– Release the switch and then lift it again for
1 second. This will re-enable the automatic
function.
If you push (or pull) a button to the first
stage, the window will open (or close) until
you release the button. If you push or lift the
button briefly to the second stage, the win-
dow will open (one-touch opening) or close
(one-touch closing) automatically. If you op-
erate the button while the window is opening
or closing, it stops at this position.
<<

Also
》》
Noticed that the safety button at the back of the windows buttons was activated which stops the rear windows from working. Discovered that this also deactivated one touch. As soon as switched it to off, one touch worked OK.
《《

Those are the one touch notes may be a complete red herring.

When I did have the Altea I did have one episode where the head lights came on without turning them on 😐. Drove around with the lights on. The dealer said the electrical switch box was a devil to sort out. Booked me I for an expensive repair. It fixed itself a few days later, I cancelled the booking, it never returned. Another episode where the car wouldn't turn over, no power to the starter motor. That also fixed itself 24 hours later. I put that down to dampness. Other than that the Altea was a good comfy car. Nice seats in the sport version.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi,

I have an issue whereby the centre console buttons do not work (Mirrors/folding mirrors/TCS/Central Lock/Unlock). The LEDs light up and the 12v socket works, but other than this I get no response from any of the buttons. I have checked fuses, and as far as I can tell (seems to be location 48? - please correct me if I am wrong) all seems fine, so a little baffled by the lack of response.

Any ideas/suggestions very welcome

Thanks
Miles
Hi are the buttons still clicking when pressed? Also have you removed the switch panel to make sure they are still plugged in and each one of those buttons has its own plug. I have see repeated spilled coffee into the buttons jam them up.

Mar 25, 2022
Thanks for the responses - sorry for my delayed response.
@Tell - The battery has been replaced and it was happening before, and continued after replacement.
@300bhpdaily - The buttons don't seem to make much of a 'click' - more just rock back and forth. I have indeed removed the switch panel and all appear to be wired up correctly.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Thanks for the responses - sorry for my delayed response.
@Tell - The battery has been replaced and it was happening before, and continued after replacement.
@300bhpdaily - The buttons don't seem to make much of a 'click' - more just rock back and forth. I have indeed removed the switch panel and all appear to be wired up correctly.
Hi can you google the photo of a Leon cupra mk2 centre console switch to see if it’s the same shape as yours please? I have a spare working one. Are you local to Basingstoke?

Mar 25, 2022
@300bhpdaily I have had a look and think they look the same. Photo from eBay, but mine looks like ;
I am Salisbury, so not far...
s-l1600.jpg

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
@300bhpdaily I have had a look and think they look the same. Photo from eBay, but mine looks like ;
I am Salisbury, so not far...
View attachment 30722
Yea that looks the same part. Pop over this weekend if your free and I’ll grab the panel out of my car and you can have it save you having to buy one I’m not using mine anyway and it’s fully working. If yours doesn’t work after that it’ll be something abit more serious but hopefully it’s just that.

Mar 25, 2022
Yea that looks the same part. Pop over this weekend if your free and I’ll grab the panel out of my car and you can have it save you having to buy one I’m not using mine anyway and it’s fully working. If yours doesn’t work after that it’ll be something abit more serious but hopefully it’s just that.
Great - thanks @300bhpdaily - Will message you as soon as I know weekend plans to organise popping over - really appreciate your help :) will be in touch

batmannn

Apr 2, 2022
AA came today checked the console mirror and central locking and found dropping 0.5 power each, he suggested drink had been spilled taking both these out but also because of the wiring used this system uses a lot of shared contact which is a more complicated fault. So my rear passenger door is only able to opened from inside then it's ok but the dead lock is defunct which may be affecting the locking system which is taking out its shared wiring with central locking interior which won't allow as with the deadlock fault it thinks it's still open. I'll be taking mirror switch out for cleaning tomorrow and a look at the dodgy passenger door.

Reactions: Tell
Aug 28, 2022
AA came today checked the console mirror and central locking and found dropping 0.5 power each, he suggested drink had been spilled taking both these out but also because of the wiring used this system uses a lot of shared contact which is a more complicated fault. So my rear passenger door is only able to opened from inside then it's ok but the dead lock is defunct which may be affecting the locking system which is taking out its shared wiring with central locking interior which won't allow as with the deadlock fault it thinks it's still open. I'll be taking mirror switch out for cleaning tomorrow and a look at the dodgy passenger door.
Your rear passenger doors are malfunctioning due to the faulty lock mechanism, cleaning and smearing helps for a while, but new lock is more preferable.

Aug 28, 2022
Hi thank-you when you say door compartment is this the wires behind hinge going through or at the windows control at drivers side please?
You will be able to see them through the speaker hole, but the socket between the door and the car body probably will prevent this from happening, so you should push it back in to the door first, I don’t remember exactly the right sequence but you got the idea.

batmannn

Apr 2, 2022
OK I removed speaker couldn't see any breaks in wires was all tightly attached as was the loom into hinge wondering if the breaks in the centre console ?but I've checked and all appears ok

Aug 28, 2022
OK I removed speaker couldn't see any breaks in wires was all tightly attached as was the loom into hinge wondering if the breaks in the centre console ?but I've checked and all appears ok
If your central locking system is not working properly from the control panel that is fitted between drivers and passenger seats, buttons are dimmed and mirror adjustment doesn’t work as well, then the issue is caused by the broken wires in the driver door which are leading to the control unit. Should look like that as shown on the picture.
34064989-3FD2-40AD-BFC4-62AF3DC6D28B.jpeg

batmannn

Apr 2, 2022
Your rear passenger doors are malfunctioning due to the faulty lock mechanism, cleaning and smearing helps for a while, but new lock is more preferable.
I drilled a small hole in actuator and wd injected in that which fixed it ,the rear door not opening from deadlock. Replaced boot lock and knocked the buildup from the handle unit so after 5 years finally get in and out boot, but the central lock and mirrors switches being down is beating me there's no wire breaks in door or hinge I've cleaned the switches so dead end until can get at the wiring from under the unit any other ideas on this one?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members