Channging springs - stuck, HELP.

jonisginger

Oct 19, 2008
Potentially simple answer.

I tried changing my springs the other day due to the crystal clear advice of james walker :D

However, on removal of the lower nut, and the top nut, I couldn't for the ****ing life of me get the bottom of the suspension pillar out of the clamp. I'd used a chisel to try and release it a bit but it wasn't happening. I had a gap of about 1cm or so between the two rear sides of the clamp and it still wasn't budging. Even after hitting it a few times.

Is the bottom of the pillar flanged a bit? How much of a gap do I need at the back? Flange makes me laugh because it sounds like a cross between clunge and fanny.

Is there a tool for opening this up nice and easily? (no puns now please)

It's annoying because I think I can do the rest even though this is only my first proper mod.

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Jon

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
the tool you linked me in pm is the right tool matey, insert into the strut housing and turn with wrench to open the strut. they will be tight if not been out before though.

seriously this tool makes life much easier.

http://www.toolsheduk.com/Q/1289/2/28/Strut-Nut-Tool-2pc.html

cold chisel will work aswell.

once the tools inserted, hit the underside of the strut with a rubber mallet and it will come free, once youve started freeing it, it will come out mate.

beware the drivers side is harder as theres less room to get the strut out.

give it a good soak in anti seize aswell for a hour before you try it.

nothing is flanged. also make sure the metal piece that goes into the back of the hub that the bolt clamps to isnt bent and restricting the removal.

you may need to undo the arb droplink off the wishbone to give more room to get the srrut out, once removed the hub will drop another 10cm or so to allow you to hit the strut out and the top mounts will be free from the chassis.

hop ethis helps, its really quite easy with the right tool mate. sounds like its seized in a little but brute force always prevails on these.. dont be scared to whack it with a rubber mallet.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
wouldnt work lee, he needs upward force on the strut where the spring seats, jack wouldnt be high enough for this.

tbh, a mallet and the hub spreader WILL work. hes just not getting the hub wide enough with the chisel hes using.