Chatter

cupra collins

Mar 27, 2007
Right i have just fitted my forge TIP and its changed the noise of the valve to a chatter is this normal or is something qrong. CArs running fine and seems to be pulling harder. I quite like the chatter noise but just wanna check i aint done something wrong

Feb 1, 2007
gloucester
check all the hoses arent twisted , the hose that comes of the top of the re circ usually twists , thats why it is making a chatter noise , no good for the car

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
It happened to me but it was because the guy that had the car beforeme had bought some cheap vacum pipe and it was melting and collapsing.

cupra collins

Mar 27, 2007
Nah i soeted it. Its was a twisted pipe that goes on tot the bottom of the valve. By the way i have the miltek hyper boast valve

jmrgtturbo

How cum chatter is bad for these cars? is it just because that the turbo is stalling or does it put stress on something else?

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
If you put a non standard induction kit on with the standard recerc valve it would make a chatter sound......does that mean its bad for you car?

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
I can remember when i fist put my viper filter on it used to make a nice chatter, so surly by just putting a filter on and getting a chatter carnt be bad can it?

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
no the chatter is the standard dv being fooked leaking the vacuum so the excess boost pressure returned goes back to the turbo slowing it down causing it to stall hence the chatter noise, the new air filter just highlights the problems as the sound is no longer masked by the standard air filter.

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
no the chatter is the standard dv being fooked leaking the vacuum so the excess boost pressure returned goes back to the turbo slowing it down causing it to stall hence the chatter noise, the new air filter just highlights the problems as the sound is no longer masked by the standard air filter.

So if the new air filter just highlights the problem, the standard filter just masks the noise so it cannot be heard, does that mean the dv was fooked before the new filter was fitted, so anyone with a standard dv and standard filter may have a fooked dv but dont realise it?

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Also i no a lad who has just brought a cupra a couple weeks ago with a cupra r ecu, he has a forge split r dv and a jabba induction kit and his chatters..whys this?

Sorry all the questions.

'unless he has a twisted vaccum hose'

loveturbopower

Jun 13, 2007
Frome, Somerset
i dont understand how seriously bad chatter can be, i mean at car shows u always hear fat evos, skylines and other performance cars chattering from performance companies, surely they wouldnt let their cars do this if it was bad? i dont get it but i aint gona do it just in case

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
'Wastegate chatter' is a myth, the sound comes from charged air passing back through the turbo due to a non functioning DV or a complete lack of DV. IIRC WRC cars arnt allowed to run BOV's so they chatter like mad, but as mentioned a fair few times they run turbos that are built for it.

As for why its bad for your turbo, i'm guessing because air passing back through it the wrong way causes the compressor wheel to stop and start spinning backwards. Then when you get back on the power it has to stop again and start spinning the correct way. Which cant be good for your bearings.

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Some cars 'chatter' even with dv's as the boost pressure and size of turbo they are running means that just one dv cant vent the volume of air thats needed, my friends cosworth does just this, dumps then chatters.

The race engine builders sorting his engine atm are reccomending not fitting a dv (450 + bhp engine) - but then they dont give 5 cents about reliability to be honest,

- imho keep a working dv on and prolong that turbos life.

Rick

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Yeah, if your DV spring is stiff due to running high boost then at lower boost you could also get chatter as the low boost isnt enough to open the DV.

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
In this case, the dv physically cant vent enough air in the time its open so after the dv opens and then shuts there is still so much air backed up you get chatter as well.

And yes, as above, if running standard airboxes you would be hard pushed to tell if your dv was broken and you were getting chatter, mine was broken and i only noticed when i fitted an induction kit.

Rick

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.