Check Safe Lock

Mk1Cortina1964

Mk1 Cortina 0-60 19.0secs
Feb 20, 2014
North Suffolk
I can see reference to "Safelock" on page 86 as an alternative to "Anti-theft system".

In all the subsequent pages therefore when it talks about "anti-theft system" it is talking about "Safelock" - perhaps "anti-theft system" is too long to go in the display!

I haven't read any further to discover whether you can disable the message, but hope this helps. I don't get my car until later this month so no experience yet.

Bernard.

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Something to do with central locking if I am not mistaken. When you lock the car id dead locks it so the doors cannot be opened from the inside or something like that. Question has been asked before iirc.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
can be adjusted in the "car" options of head unit, I know as I switched my locking so I click key once it only opens drivers door

Mk1Cortina1964

Mk1 Cortina 0-60 19.0secs
Feb 20, 2014
North Suffolk
Page 96 has a warning that as the anti-theft system (Safelock) is automatically on when you leave and lock the car, if you leave anyone in the car - perhaps dogs, a disabled person, or even children, unless you de-activate the anti-theft system they cannot get out as the internal doors will not open. So if there was an emergency they are trapped unless someone smashes their way in from outside. So my guess is that the warning you are seeing is asking you every time to think about whether anyone is going to be left locked in the car.
Of course, no-one leaves their kids in a locked car, - or do they?!

So far, no-one has directly answered whether you can get rid of it, which I assume is the main reason for asking. Perhaps that issue will be addressed in further comments.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Page 96 has a warning that as the anti-theft system (Safelock) is automatically on when you leave and lock the car, if you leave anyone in the car - perhaps dogs, a disabled person, or even children, unless you de-activate the anti-theft system they cannot get out as the internal doors will not open. So if there was an emergency they are trapped unless someone smashes their way in from outside. So my guess is that the warning you are seeing is asking you every time to think about whether anyone is going to be left locked in the car.
Of course, no-one leaves their kids in a locked car, - or do they?!

So far, no-one has directly answered whether you can get rid of it, which I assume is the main reason for asking. Perhaps that issue will be addressed in further comments.

That'll explain the events the other day when I was in tinkering on VCDS. I had a few things that weren't activating and one was the Fob chirp on lock/unlock, I'd been pressing the fob off and on whilst inside and I must have left it on lock, went to open the door to get out and it wouldn't open, tried the door unlock button and that never worked either, had to press the fob unlock to get out, the Golf would've unlocked all on the pull of the inside door release handle.

Last edited:

NinjaPirateUK

Alor Blue Leon SC 1.8 TSI
Sep 7, 2009
I always assumed that it was to prompt you to check the steering lock?

I figured that in terms of securing your car one of the only physical things you can do, other than pressing the button on the fob, is to give the steering wheel a waggle to engage the lock. I've not actually tried it on my Mk3 yet though... it might not be a thing.

gaffer1986

I've just found it on page 87: it basically says the message is displayed to remind you not to lock people or animals in the car as the car can not be opened from the inside and windows cannot be opened when locked using the key outside the car unless you press the lock button twice to disable the safelock (deadlock).

Thanks for your replies.

komoornik

gaffer1986 do you have alarm system ordered with the car?

I don't have safe lock in my car and I wonder if it can be enabled.

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
That'll explain the events the other day when I was in tinkering on VCDS. I had a few things that weren't activating and one was the Fob chirp on lock/unlock, I'd been pressing the fob off and on whilst inside and I must have left it on lock, went to open the door to get out and it wouldn't open, tried the door unlock button and that never worked either, had to press the fob unlock to get out, the Golf would've unlocked all on the pull of the inside door release handle.

I've got the chirp working on mine, instructions will be posted shortly.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
gaffer1986 do you have alarm system ordered with the car?

I don't have safe lock in my car and I wonder if it can be enabled.

My car is the same.
But since I never have children or animals inside the car I would like to activate it..
But how?

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

nbullus

The manual is as clear as mud with regards to most things, let alone the many security features of the car.

Safe lock (or dead lock) is the system that locks all the doors after locking the car with the key fob which basically stops any of the doors from being opened from the inside. The main purpose is that it stops a thief smashing a window, leaning in and opening a door from the inside and nicking something. Why you get the message everytime you turn engine off is something only SEAT/VW/Skoa/Audi can answer as a similar system is used by the whole group and it is annoying and no obvious way of overriding the message or the system.

The childproof lock is different and basically stops the rear doors (5 dr models only) from being opened from the inside. I only realised this feature after driving through the Lion enclosure at the West Midlands Safri Park and my 2 yr old daughter opened the door from her car seat to get a closer look at the ***** cats !!! I now have this set so that the door nearest her car seat can no longer be opened from the inside.

Now it is not uncommon that people occasionaly lock thier children in the car for short periods, e.g. when paying for your petrol. I occcasionally also do this if they are fast asleep but also unset the interior monitoring sensors (page 97) in case they wake up and set the alarm off. Obviously with the Safe Lock system your child cannot get out if they need to get out the car in an emergency, but it does have the benefit that someone cannot smash the window, open the doors and snatch your Iphone or your child. In the circumstances you want to turn Safelock off temporarily, you can use the key fob (page 87).

What is odd is that I only remember noticing this message after I first turned the childproof lock on. I will have to test if this message stops appeaing when I turn the childproof lock back off as it is possible it only warns you if you have the childproof lock on and assumes you could lock your child in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
My car has this disabled for some reason.. Any idea on how I enable it?

Don't have any kids and im allergic to dogs:p

nbullus

Hi Snowman,

It should be standard and there is nothing to turn it on or off. Worth checking it is not on and your just not getting the warning message. Also do you have a 3 or 5 door?

Try sitting in the car, lock the doors with key fob (turn off interior monitoring system to stop the alarm going off) and then try and open passenger door from the inside after 30 seconds. If you can't open the door without unlocking with the key fob then you have Safelock installed and it's on. Then try and switching the childproof lock on for one of the rear doors (assuming you have a 5 door) and then drive and finally switch engine off and see if you get the warning.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
...it is possible it only warns you if you have the childproof lock on and assumes you could lock your child in the car.

Mine gives me the safe lock warning every time, but my car is missing 2 of the big prerequisites for having child locks fitted...

My 5dr Golf used to do the same regardless of child locks on or off, and the parents' 3dr Polo does it all the time too. I don't think child locks affect it at all.

Snowman

Mar 16, 2014
Hi Snowman,

It should be standard and there is nothing to turn it on or off. Worth checking it is not on and your just not getting the warning message. Also do you have a 3 or 5 door?

Try sitting in the car, lock the doors with key fob (turn off interior monitoring system to stop the alarm going off) and then try and open passenger door from the inside after 30 seconds. If you can't open the door without unlocking with the key fob then you have Safelock installed and it's on. Then try and switching the childproof lock on for one of the rear doors (assuming you have a 5 door) and then drive and finally switch engine off and see if you get the warning.

Hello.

I'm aware that it should be standard. But I'm thinking I could have been switched off since this car was driven by a salesperson at a dealership before I got it. On my old skoda fabia tsi i simply couldn't ope n the doors from the inside if I locked it with they remote. On my leon I can open the doors from the inside after locking the car with the remote, but I haven't tried waiting for 30 before trying to open the doors.

Also when I locked my Fabia I had the safe lock warning buy i don't get it with my leon. The Fabia was a 2013 model and the Leon a 2014 FR.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.