Cheeky trip to the Alps VZ2

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Last Saturday I set off for a quick five day trip to Les Deux Alpes from Lincoln, via the Eurotunnel shuttle. Longest trip previously was down to Poole and a few times to Bristol, so interested to see how this would pan out speed, comfort and mpg-wise. Trip was me on my lonesome with snowboard kit etc in the boot with the left hand seat down for the board to stick through. Ski hatch is just that, only suitable for skis 😉. No need for the roof box for this trip. Left at dawn's crack and was down passing the huge queues of lorries and at the check-in for just before 0600. Was across to France and on my merry way by 0900 CET. Two stops for fuel mapped out prior on Google at French supermarket filling stations pretty close to the autoroutes that saved 30 cents a litre (worth it!). I also had a toll tag which is a lifesaver if you're driving without a passenger in Europe! Easy to set the cars units to Km/h and km in settings. Also the camera detects and provides speed limits on kmh as well as the extra one showing reduced limits in the wet (see photo). So, speed wise car was great, left it mainly in comfort. Stuck to 145kmh on the way down and overall got about 28mpg. Messed around on the twisty mountain roads up from the valley in Cupra mode which was A LOT of fun. Comfort wise the car is faultless, I had no aches or pains at all after about 12 hours solid driving, with three quick stops. Seats and driving position are spot on for me at 5' 11"and 80kg. No real issues with Infotainment system, but tbh used Android Auto for everything anyway. However were a couple of instances where seat heating came on randomly, but this seemed to happen after some quick restarts if that makes sense? Ie system not waking up properly before I've sped off from a quick comfort break. No issues with overtaking and adaptive cruise control, I've sorted the UK issues with OBD Eleven but wasn't sure if this would affect overtaking on the the left in Europe all ok though phew. I also don't suffer from the car starting up with the lane assist on like some others on the forum, I didn't use it at all and never do anyway. So in all a great mile eater, if it is a bit boring if I'm honest. Looking forward to getting something like an old V8 Panamera for some actual character when the lease finishes next March 🤔. Happy to answer any questions peeps may have on long distance trips etc 👍
PXL_20220326_082540998.jpg
PXL_20220330_060815026.jpg
PXL_20220328_084953339.jpg
PXL_20220326_162744377.MP.jpg

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Last Saturday I set off for a quick five day trip to Les Deux Alpes from Lincoln, via the Eurotunnel shuttle. Longest trip previously was down to Poole and a few times to Bristol, so interested to see how this would pan out speed, comfort and mpg-wise. Trip was me on my lonesome with snowboard kit etc in the boot with the left hand seat down for the board to stick through. Ski hatch is just that, only suitable for skis 😉. No need for the roof box for this trip. Left at dawn's crack and was down passing the huge queues of lorries and at the check-in for just before 0600. Was across to France and on my merry way by 0900 CET. Two stops for fuel mapped out prior on Google at French supermarket filling stations pretty close to the autoroutes that saved 30 cents a litre (worth it!). I also had a toll tag which is a lifesaver if you're driving without a passenger in Europe! Easy to set the cars units to Km/h and km in settings. Also the camera detects and provides speed limits on kmh as well as the extra one showing reduced limits in the wet (see photo). So, speed wise car was great, left it mainly in comfort. Stuck to 145kmh on the way down and overall got about 28mpg. Messed around on the twisty mountain roads up from the valley in Cupra mode which was A LOT of fun. Comfort wise the car is faultless, I had no aches or pains at all after about 12 hours solid driving, with three quick stops. Seats and driving position are spot on for me at 5' 11"and 80kg. No real issues with Infotainment system, but tbh used Android Auto for everything anyway. However were a couple of instances where seat heating came on randomly, but this seemed to happen after some quick restarts if that makes sense? Ie system not waking up properly before I've sped off from a quick comfort break. No issues with overtaking and adaptive cruise control, I've sorted the UK issues with OBD Eleven but wasn't sure if this would affect overtaking on the the left in Europe all ok though phew. I also don't suffer from the car starting up with the lane assist on like some others on the forum, I didn't use it at all and never do anyway. So in all a great mile eater, if it is a bit boring if I'm honest. Looking forward to getting something like an old V8 Panamera for some actual character when the lease finishes next March 🤔. Happy to answer any questions peeps may have on long distance trips etc 👍 View attachment 30736 View attachment 30738 View attachment 30741 View attachment 30740
Nice to here some positive views for the Formentor. Trip sounded great 👍🏻

Reactions: Stonepope

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Great pics - thanks for sharing.
Really must get back to the Alps (although we go a bit further East than you into Switzerland). It's been 5 years :(

raylee25

Jan 24, 2012
London
Last Saturday I set off for a quick five day trip to Les Deux Alpes from Lincoln, via the Eurotunnel shuttle. Longest trip previously was down to Poole and a few times to Bristol, so interested to see how this would pan out speed, comfort and mpg-wise. Trip was me on my lonesome with snowboard kit etc in the boot with the left hand seat down for the board to stick through. Ski hatch is just that, only suitable for skis 😉. No need for the roof box for this trip. Left at dawn's crack and was down passing the huge queues of lorries and at the check-in for just before 0600. Was across to France and on my merry way by 0900 CET. Two stops for fuel mapped out prior on Google at French supermarket filling stations pretty close to the autoroutes that saved 30 cents a litre (worth it!). I also had a toll tag which is a lifesaver if you're driving without a passenger in Europe! Easy to set the cars units to Km/h and km in settings. Also the camera detects and provides speed limits on kmh as well as the extra one showing reduced limits in the wet (see photo). So, speed wise car was great, left it mainly in comfort. Stuck to 145kmh on the way down and overall got about 28mpg. Messed around on the twisty mountain roads up from the valley in Cupra mode which was A LOT of fun. Comfort wise the car is faultless, I had no aches or pains at all after about 12 hours solid driving, with three quick stops. Seats and driving position are spot on for me at 5' 11"and 80kg. No real issues with Infotainment system, but tbh used Android Auto for everything anyway. However were a couple of instances where seat heating came on randomly, but this seemed to happen after some quick restarts if that makes sense? Ie system not waking up properly before I've sped off from a quick comfort break. No issues with overtaking and adaptive cruise control, I've sorted the UK issues with OBD Eleven but wasn't sure if this would affect overtaking on the the left in Europe all ok though phew. I also don't suffer from the car starting up with the lane assist on like some others on the forum, I didn't use it at all and never do anyway. So in all a great mile eater, if it is a bit boring if I'm honest. Looking forward to getting something like an old V8 Panamera for some actual character when the lease finishes next March 🤔. Happy to answer any questions peeps may have on long distance trips etc 👍 View attachment 30736 View attachment 30738 View attachment 30741 View attachment 30740
I've just come back from Scotland after completing the NC500 (with extras in between) with Petrol heads tour in my VZ2. Have to admit, its a very capable car, kept up with the M2's no problem. Fuel consumption took a battering, average around 23MPG

May 2, 2022
Hi, your trip looked amazing. I have a really, probably quite stupid couple of questions......I'm travelling to the South of France this summer and was wondering if the car picked up it was in a different country and changed the settings to KM/H automatically (which it appears it doesn't, but is easy to change in the settings)? Also, in terms of the headlights does it self level these automatically so that the old school stickers on the headlights aren't required?

Apologies if these should be obvious, I've struggled to find the information on this, even in the handbook :) Really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.