Chipped my FR........

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
Yep will still need to flat it but yep
under no circumstances use the brush that comes with the touch up pen though there too big buy a size 0 artist brush

excellent one less thing to worry about. Someone bought the kids a set of brushes and some of those are tiny. Will see what size they are.

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Great advice Xe. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to try too. I guess one idea is to go and get a piece of bodywork from a breakers yard to practice on maybe.

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire

Xe

I finally decided I would have a go at those stobe chips so following the advice from you guys here are the results.

After : http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s130/elsie990/after.jpg

Before : http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s130/elsie990/Before.jpg

I don't think its bad but I am not totally happy with it so I might have another look at it tomorrow. Depends if I am brave enough.

Just need to do something about those swirl marks now.

Not bad m8, you just need to build up the final layer so that its totally smooth ;)

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
Not bad m8, you just need to build up the final layer so that its totally smooth ;)

Yeap just a couple of bits where it isn't quite smooth, didn't have a chance to have another go today but it needs a good wash after todays outing. So hopefully tomorrow will be a fine enough to do it

jon1

May 7, 2005
Sunderland
just got back from a 400 mile trip, gave it a clean and found my 1st stonechip, pretty gutted but i think il try wot you did, any advise? Its Chrono yellow if that helps

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
what grade sandpaper did you use? ive got P1200 grade sandpaper but i think thats too coarse?

good work R30LAC....i have a simular problem! going to seat to look at a Leon for the other half...will get myself some touchup paint! :D

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
just got back from a 400 mile trip, gave it a clean and found my 1st stonechip, pretty gutted but i think il try wot you did, any advise? Its Chrono yellow if that helps

To be honest mate just follow the advise that Xe gave in this post. But remember to have all the bits to hand. I had to nip to get some scratch remover past. Asda sold the T-cut one for about £6.

I used my 4 year's old number 1 paint brush from his set. (Some cheep brushes from the pound shop I think)

Last edited:

r30lac

Jan 12, 2007
West Yorkshire
what grade sandpaper did you use? ive got P1200 grade sandpaper but i think thats too coarse?

good work R30LAC....i have a simular problem! going to seat to look at a Leon for the other half...will get myself some touchup paint! :D

errmmm I honestly can't remember. I had some fine wet and dry in my garage which was very fine so I used that. Bit risky I suppose but it did the trick.

JimmyDerv

Ok Ok before anyone does anything drastic!! the above mentioned method by Xe will work but please do not think you guys with anything other than dark colours can do it, the only people with a real result will be flat reds blacks & whites Silvers and all light metalics touch in badly (they go dark), there is no magic wand to wave and if I could do them perfect I would be one rich ChipsAway Franchisee! :)

The best stone chip advice I can give to people with silvers is to forget the proper colour of your car and pick the lightest shade silver available in halfrauds or wherever, this gives you a fighting chance of it not looking like grey blobs on your bonnet

Oh and I would never sand with anything coarser (is that a word?) than a very wet 2000 grade

Last edited by a moderator:

gm0otb

Cheers! for the info guys!.. i have a chip on my rear offside bumber where someone screwdrivered the reflector off and the car was only one day old :(

Emocion Red so should get away with repair.

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
My car got COVERED in stone chips when Bristol city council decided to 'repair' my road by pouring gravel all over it and then leaving it. Then when peole caned it up and down the road they were sprayed all over the place. Came back after being on holiday for a week and there were stones on top of the car!

Anyway, scene set- **** road, speckled car, pissed me!

Question is, does the kit come with surface prep stuff to cut thru grease etc, and any wax on the car (including Collinite)?
And Xe, did you get good results with black magic? It shows up any imperfections really clearly!

Finally, does anyone recommend any bodywork repairers in the Bristol/South West area as I have pinball parker's damage on the bumpers that needs professional help.

Jon

Daffy

Detail Wizard
May 29, 2007
Wetsanding is much easier to get right on dark colours especially black. It is quite difficult to match red and very hard to blend in silver. Personally i would use cocktail sticks, 2000, 2500 and 3000 wet and dry then some proper machine polishing. Also if it is cold where you are at the moment the paint won't harden properly. It is best left for a warm spring or summers day. Then leave the paint for a week or more to properly harden. trying to do it in a day you may find that the paint just comes straight off.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise