Chirping noise at idle from aux belt - how to replace tensioner

Mar 3, 2020
My Seat Leon FR 2.0 TDI 2015 (5F1) is making a 'chirping' noise at idle and its coming from the area of the aux belt.

I sprayed water on a pulley but the noise still remained, I believe this indicates its a bearing rather than the belt ?

A few months ago I had to drive through flooded roads so I don't know whether this caused the problem ?

I was going to change the aux belt tensioner but its one of those annoying jobs where access is very limited.

Its so limited I can't even see where to put a spanner on the tensioner, yet alone get a spanner or my hand down there.

For access, does the off side wheel and wheel arch liner need to be removed ?

Or does the diesel filter and pipe to the expansion tank need to be removed ?

I've recorded a video of the noise for reference...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/377skqftahuzken/video-1583231524.mp4?dl=0

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Does the noise stop after a few mins or after a journey? I had it and SEAT replaced the pulley tensioner. It fixed it for a couple of weeks but it came back. SEAT then replaced the belt and it's been fine since.

I can't imaging it being an easy job with what SEAT charge for replacing a cambelt. Must be a few hours of work.

As yours is 5 years old, have you had the cambelt/waterpump done yet as it's that time? That would cover all what you want to do.

Mar 3, 2020
Does the noise stop after a few mins or after a journey? I had it and SEAT replaced the pulley tensioner. It fixed it for a couple of weeks but it came back. SEAT then replaced the belt and it's been fine since.

I can't imaging it being an easy job with what SEAT charge for replacing a cambelt. Must be a few hours of work.

As yours is 5 years old, have you had the cambelt/waterpump done yet as it's that time? That would cover all what you want to do.
Thanks Steve

The noise does not stop, its continuous regardless of whether the engine is cold or at operating temperature. The only time it appears to stop is when the engine speed is increased above idle.

Changing the cambelt is a more complicated job than changing the auxillary drive belt (i.e. fan belt) which is why cambelt changes are always expensive but a critical part of the engine. If the cam belt fails it can destroy the engine, but if the auxillary drive belt fails it just means the alternator and air conditioning pump stop working.

I did have the car booked in for a cambelt and waterpump renewal at the start of the year, but then Seat confirmed that the renewal period is 5 years or 140k. The car will be 5 years old in June this year so I had planned to have the cambelt etc done then.

The Skoda engine in this video looks similar to mine but he has to remove accessories like intake hoses and intercooler hose and cooling fan

I did want to check the existing parts to diagnose whether the fault is with the tensioner or if its the bearings in the alternator or air cond pump, but if I have to remove all these parts just to gain access then I will need the spare part so that I don't have to put it all back together, order the spare part and have to replace it at another time.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.