Choosing Oil Cooler AIRTEC?

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
I’m going out on track, and I know oil temp is going to be an issue. VWR have an oil cooler, however I’ve seen the Airtec cooler at half the price.

Has anyone got either (preferably Airtec) on their cars?

I’ve spent a fortune recently but I think this is an essential.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I’m going out on track, and I know oil temp is going to be an issue. VWR have an oil cooler, however I’ve seen the Airtec cooler at half the price.

Has anyone got either (preferably Airtec) on their cars?

I’ve spent a fortune recently but I think this is an essential.
Does the Airtec one help with the oil management issues that cause this...

653f35_096cac8303b746769d598ff0d240241a~mv2.webp

Reactions: Legojon

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Not entirely sure. But thats the catch can. Does the cooler integrate this function?
Sorry, replied before I'd finished my morning brew ?‍♂️ Airtec don't even do a catch can lol

Isn't AirTecs Oil Cooler just a universal one? Where as others are designed to fit the MQB cars?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Is this a big problem as I'm going to brands next month? Will it happen on every hard braking corner?

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Is this a big problem as I'm going to brands next month? Will it happen on every hard braking corner?

If you read their blog, it talks about running on the track with Slicks and shows a car on the ring. As the braking G's are going to be determined by your tyres (and how long your brakes last), I suppose it depends on what you've done already. But the car in the photo is someone who runs a lot of track days on the facebook groups.

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London
I was (with Chaeliessmith) going to run a little conservative at Brands. It’s my first time out in this car, second time ever on track. So caution is the key.

But an oil cooler is needed more importantly. Cos ambient oil temps are already at 110c with normal driving.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I was (with Chaeliessmith) going to run a little conservative at Brands. It’s my first time out in this car, second time ever on track. So caution is the key.

But an oil cooler is needed more importantly. Cos ambient oil temps are already at 110c with normal driving.
What oil are you using and have you checked what the oil temperatures operating window is? I'm sure the Millers nano drive works well up to something like 130+

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017

My oil dont normally get that high, mine sits around 98/99 and goes about 101 if I out my foot down a little. It would go higher if I put my down for a while. What oil do you use?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
What oil are you using and have you checked what the oil temperatures operating window is? I'm sure the Millers nano drive works well up to something like 130+
I'm using Castrol Edge. But I've heard that castrol ain't that good, I heard this after I had just had an oil service done, typical

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
@paddy6789 knows the operating temp range for that oil I’m sure. Pretty sure with his oil cooler on top of the standard oil cooler his R has, he’s running a bit too cold for the road if anything.
I was running at about 98-105 on normal driving, max was 107 I saw when driving hard. When I got the RacingLine oil cooler my temps dropped massively and now I get 88-92 on normal runs. I’ve not been able to get higher than 94 and that was driving hard on a very very hot day. Oil temp takes a while to get up to about 80 though. A lot longer than before the cooler was installed.

The oil management with catch can will be essential if you don’t want plumes of white smoke coming out of the exhaust during a track session. Unless you have a baffled sump fitted.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I was running at about 98-105 on normal driving, max was 107 I saw when driving hard. When I got the RacingLine oil cooler my temps dropped massively and now I get 88-92 on normal runs. I’ve not been able to get higher than 94 and that was driving hard on a very very hot day. Oil temp takes a while to get up to about 80 though. A lot longer than before the cooler was installed.

The oil management with catch can will be essential if you don’t want plumes of white smoke coming out of the exhaust during a track session. Unless you have a baffled sump fitted.
Do you know the operating window of the oil?
Is 88 not to cold?
Do you know if the oil starvation will 100% happen because I've done some serious braking before and never had a load of smoke out my exhaust?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Do you know the operating window of the oil?
Is 88 not to cold?
Do you know if the oil starvation will 100% happen because I've done some serious braking before and never had a load of smoke out my exhaust?

It sits at around 90 most of the time.
I imagine braking very hard, then turning very hard and then accelerating away very hard in one manoeuvre will cause the oil starvation. Maybe not the first few times of doing it, but eventually it’ll happen the more you go around the track.

It won’t just be about the braking hard.

@Crille88 has just experienced this on a recent track day.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
It sits at around 90 most of the time.
I imagine braking very hard, then turning very hard and then accelerating away very hard in one manoeuvre will cause the oil starvation. Maybe not the first few times of doing it, but eventually it’ll happen the more you go around the track.

It won’t just be about the braking hard.

@Crille88 has just experienced this on a recent track day.
I was hoping you would say it will be fine lol. Looks like I'm saving for the Racingline oil management system lol
I just don't reckon I will be able to afford it by next month, cause im at brands hatch next month.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I was hoping you would say it will be fine lol. Looks like I'm saving for the Racingline oil management system lol
I just don't reckon I will be able to afford it by next month, cause im at brands hatch next month.

People do track days and don’t have the issue. It depends how hard you drive and how much of your inner F1 driver comes out. If I was on track for example, I’d be crying and doing a nice comfortable 10mph around the track

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
People do track days and don’t have the issue. It depends how hard you drive and how much of your inner F1 driver comes out. If I was on track for example, I’d be crying and doing a nice comfortable 10mph around the track
Lol i will just have to take it easy.
Lewis Hamilton will be disappointed in me though lol
I love F1 and even taking the F1 line on normal driving sometimes haha

Mtailor

Aug 9, 2018
London

You have a rare car. I'd wrap it in cotton wool. I think you'd get the black flag for driving so SLOW!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.