Chrome Exhaust Tips?

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
So when I took delivery of the car I was disheartened to find that the exhaust tips are just mild steel on the FR rather than stainless or chrome.

With that said I have been toying with the idea of getting some covers made up at a custom exhaust place and then I came across these

Anyone have any idea if these will be the same fit? If not then has anyone come accross some that will?

Last edited:

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
Which 2lt TDI do you have? My 184 has integral stainless steel tips ex factory. I gave them a light polish with metal polish and they came up a treat.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
The 150 my friend, they come up shiney with metal polish but nothing like the mirror shine of chrome.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I was disappointed to discover my FR doesn't have stainless tips either, seems a properly miserly penny pinch to be honest on the current top spec Leon.

I'll be looking for something suitable too. These ones you've found look ok, but I guess it depends on the circumference of the pipes being the same. The inside aperture of those on Ebay are 60mm according to the info, so the cars exhaust pipes would have to be smaller than that.

58mm sounds like a fairly generic size I've heard of before, I'll pop out with a ruler later though and check mine.

Last edited:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I do have a decent caliper ruler but haven't got round to measuring it LOL.

Shelvock

No that's not what I meant, I just tried a magnet in mine and it didn't stick, leading me to believe that the tips are stainless.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I didn't go out into my works car park to measure my pipes, I thought about it and thought nah they'll really think I've lost the plot. :cartman:

However looking at home they look quite a bit wider than 60mm diameter really, so not sure they would fit. :confused:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
The 150 my friend, they come up shiney with metal polish but nothing like the mirror shine of chrome.....

You could polish they for a whole day with metal polish and a cloth, you will never get that crome mirror finish
You would on say copper (fairly soft metal) but not on stainless steel
You need a buffing wheel, various grades of buffing wheel and cutting compounds to get a mirror finish on stainless

A place that does custom motorbikes or simaler would do it for you
Or if your ever in east sussex pm me and either I'l do it for you or get one of the lads to do it free of charge

Mods please feel free to delete the last bit of my post if its against forum rules
I should add we don't do car related work for members of the public, purely an offer to the op to help out a fellow member for no other reasons than I could and I have a little used buffing machine and a couple of members on here have helped me out with some advice

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
You could polish they for a whole day with metal polish and a cloth, you will never get that crome mirror finish
You would on say copper (fairly soft metal) but not on stainless steel
You need a buffing wheel, various grades of buffing wheel and cutting compounds to get a mirror finish on stainless

A place that does custom motorbikes or simaler would do it for you
Or if your ever in east sussex pm me and either I'l do it for you or get one of the lads to do it free of charge

Mods please feel free to delete the last bit of my post if its against forum rules
I should add we don't do car related work for members of the public, purely an offer to the op to help out a fellow member for no other reasons than I could and I have a little used buffing machine and a couple of members on here have helped me out with some advice

Thats really good of you to offer that out to members dw911, I can't imagine any of the mods would be heavy handed as to be against you offering out a free service to members...

Being miles away from Sussex my search continues for either somewhere local that can carry out the same service you mentioned or some chrome sleeves.

Thanks for the offer though.

Last edited:

Gadom

Apr 29, 2015
Hi,
the question connected with the exhaust tips but in the Cupra 280. Do you know if in the Cupra there are the chrome or the mild/stainless steel tips? How can I recognize it? Need to clean them.

Regards

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hi,
the question connected with the exhaust tips but in the Cupra 280. Do you know if in the Cupra there are the chrome or the mild/stainless steel tips? How can I recognize it? Need to clean them.

Regards

I believe they are stainless. I use Solvol Autosol to do mine as I like a nice shiny tip ( ooohhh Matron!) although if I'm ever allowed to modify what is strictly speaking 'her' car I am going for black ones.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I was looking at getting a tip for my 1.6 TDI just to smarten up the rear end.

Local exhaust place said they could weld one on for £60... seems reasonable enough.

I know there's several OEM exhaust tips across the VAG range though so possible there's one that will fit?

Gadom

Apr 29, 2015
I believe they are stainless. I use Solvol Autosol to do mine as I like a nice shiny tip ( ooohhh Matron!) although if I'm ever allowed to modify what is strictly speaking 'her' car I am going for black ones.

The problem is that the last time I cleaned them before the winter. Because of that they were totally dirty, with the rusty coating etc.. I tried to remove it for about 5 h (!) with the Autosol M1 Chrome Plated Plastic Polish (had it since the Megane RS) and thought that it will be safe (because of the "Plastic" purpose). Because of the really slow and small effect I took the most soft paste for the paintwork polishing I had and it worked a little bit better.

All in all, my tips are quite clean now but I have some pittings/lack of the chrome (?) which I can't polish more and which don't reflect the light. I'm afraid that I destroyed the surface and still suppose that they are unfortunately the tips covered with the chrome.

Can someone else confirm if am I right with this "chrome" theory?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members