Clifford BlackJax AntiHijack

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Word of advice, clifford alarms dont work with the leon! Had one fitted to my LCR, over a year later, a court case and im just getting my money back!

flashbsd

ditto, they are "older" car friendly, had one fitted to my last car, inc blackjax activated, found it good, but electric faults always occur with dodgy clifford installations :)

Sulli

3rd Cupra
Well it's not an alarm.
I have had BlackJax on and Astra Gsi, 106 Gti, Subaru Impreza MY98, Ralliart VR4 MY2000, Ford Focus 1999 - no problems on any.
Motorguard sound like they know what they're doing but please explain Scott about what happened to you before I go ahead with this.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Had a clifford concept 650 g5 on my LCR. I was told by the fitter it would work fine, well it depends what you class as fine, the LCR alarm system is integrated into all the cars locking and light system. To get the clifford to work you have to bodge the LCR alarm so it goes off without the siren going. It can work on the car but you have to bodge loads of elements and it doesn’t work 100% with the LCR alarm, it has to be switched off. I have the letter form Clifford stating that it doesn’t work with the LCR if anyone wants to read it! As the judge etc have had a look and agreed it

Depends, if your willing to bodge things on your LCR and not fussed how it works then it will go on, but I wouldn’t trust them ever again. Its fine on stock cars with noty much alarm systems integrated but bad for the LCR!

This is the voice of experience talking, had loads of people say “yes it can be done” then “ow well yeah that doesn’t work”

Blackjaxx is not thatchmen approved BTW, as it shut the car down when the car is moving, I had it on my corrado, its a brilliant system, but stay clear for insurance reasons. Im 99% sure you will not find a thatchman approved clifford alarm with blackjaxx on it as standard.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
I have had some serious high performance cars, all with BlackJax. There's a reason for that. No Cat 1 stops a thief with keys nicking your car - BlackJax does.
All this insurance talk is a bit over the top - I could never see a scenario where BlackJax would put you in a worse situation with insurance or lack of car than being without it.

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
andycupra said:
is the LCR alarm very different to say a LC alarm?
No mate , same.......... My mate worked for clifford, and liased with clifford tech U.K / U.S.A, it can be done he looked @ my lcr very simular to golf's etc, The problem is if you want to keep the v.a.g alarm, some of the wiring is via the can-bus, and some wires do two things or more, can confuse the ecu, i.e brake light's on black jax flashing when the brake peddle switch is open circuit, But if the installer is good enough, it CAN be done, with extra relays/diodes and loads more, thing is installers dont want the hassle(or aint good with clifford's), people who are not bothered about the v.a.g alarm which is cr@p will have no hassle, the hassle comes when you want to run both together :cry:

Btw scotty nothing works on your car, mod wise ;) :D

flashbsd

i've got my clifford concept 600 with remote start option, window rollup etc, tilt, and blackjax sitting in the loft in a pile, welcome to anybody with technical guts! :D

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
flashbsd said:
i've got my clifford concept 600 with remote start option, window rollup etc, tilt, and blackjax sitting in the loft in a pile, welcome to anybody with technical guts! :D

i'll give you apple +orange and a peice of coal for it :D That loom looks daunting dont it :blink:

Sulli said:
I have had some serious high performance cars, all with BlackJax. There's a reason for that. No Cat 1 stops a thief with keys nicking your car - BlackJax does.
All this insurance talk is a bit over the top - I could never see a scenario where BlackJax would put you in a worse situation with insurance or lack of car than being without it.

okay picture this cos i´ve done it!

you get in you car with the stereo on at a reasonable volume, and forget to disarm the blackjaxx, or your other half gets, you drive off, black jaxx activates at 1500rpm but cos the stereo is on you still miss the flashing light and the siren beeping 3chirps. 30 seconds later your at 70mph you change into top gear and the revs drop, bang blackjax comes in, cuts the engines kills the powersteering and the assisted brakes!! now what would happen if you needed to stop quickly before you had time to put your code in, cycle the alarm and restart the car then reinut the code.

Thats why blackjaxx is not cat 1, it might save you loosing the car but the risk to others is high

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Sulli said:

some insurers wont touch me unless I have a cat1 thatcham alarm on my car - if i put blackjax on it I cant insure my car with them, my insurance is invalidated or whatever.

Anyway, in todays world, if someone nicks your car and doesnt get more than 100yards down the road, they'll probably come back and get you out of bed to go and help em get it moving again, with a gun to your head.

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
g60jet said:
okay picture this cos i´ve done it!

you get in you car with the stereo on at a reasonable volume, and forget to disarm the blackjaxx, or your other half gets, you drive off, black jaxx activates at 1500rpm but cos the stereo is on you still miss the flashing light and the siren beeping 3chirps. 30 seconds later your at 70mph you change into top gear and the revs drop, bang blackjax comes in, cuts the engines kills the powersteering and the assisted brakes!! now what would happen if you needed to stop quickly before you had time to put your code in, cycle the alarm and restart the car then reinut the code.

Thats why blackjaxx is not cat 1, it might save you loosing the car but the risk to others is high
The rev threshold can be adjusted, by clifford wiz net, with lappy to 1000rpm, this would only then cut in @ a junction or lights say

Sulli

3rd Cupra
Pabs said:
Anyway, in todays world, if someone nicks your car and doesnt get more than 100yards down the road, they'll probably come back and get you out of bed to go and help em get it moving again, with a gun to your head.
Yes, but by that time i'd be ready :whistle: or Police would be on way.
Must admit I took a while to come round to the idea, and it's not for everyone, or every car - and yes, I have forgotten a couple of times that I had to input code, but i think it slowlyy reduces revs to 0, so is stil safe.
For me it's the best thing - not everyone's cup of tea though.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Tell me about it vern, im just warning people to avoid the hardship ove had!

Im sure there could be a way around it to get it to work, but to find that person and to get ot to work you’d be very lucky, as the wires on the stock LCR system do so many things you’d be surprised what they can F*ck up. I went through the LCR Wiring Diagram and clifford diagram and found two ways around the problems, one wasn’t physically possible without invalidating the warrantee and the other meant me building another sub system to make it work.

I had turbo timer, remote start and black jax by the way

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Blackjax DOES NOT invalidate the thatcham rating if fitted separately to the alarm. If you have a concept 600 ( cat 1 clifford alarm ) and you activate blackjax then it strictly speaking invalidates the Cat 1 on that because when the cat1 rating was done blackjax was turned off. the reason for this is that blackjax defaults to off and the cat 1 rating is done at the factory defaults.

So fitting blackjax to your LCR does not invalidate the insurance approval of the standard alarm.

The reason Blackjax isn't Cat1 itself is simply that it is not active when the car is locked. It only immobilises the car after a set rev limit/speed is acheived and doors have been opened.

I had a Clifford Concept 600 with remote start on my LC for all the time I had it and never had a single problem. In fact it armed and disarmed the standard alarm with the Clifford so I had 2 alarms working. Scott I'm sorry to say I think you had a duff installer, which is why I now travel to Clitheroe ( around 250-300 miles ) for my alarm fitting as I only trust one guy to do it for me...

Pete