Climate Or Standard Aircon?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The climate doesn't get any cooler or hotter than the regular air con can, what you get with the climate is "set and forget". You dial in 21 and come rain or shine the interior will be 21.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Climate for me every time. Like Nath said "set and forget", you cant get any more simple than that.

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Climate every time for me, would never buy another car without it. On/off aircon always seems to be too hot then too cold and round and round you go, there never seems to be a happy medium. Climate, set and forget - what could be easier?

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
i prefer just plain heaters to climate, after the temperature is set it will blow cold air every now and again if the car is too warm, it annoys me in my leon i just prefer i nice constant heat ..... just my opinion

rich146

Sep 27, 2009
Berkshire
www.reverbnation.com
I must admit ive had climate on an Alfa 156 in the past and even though it was rubbish and not very cold , the sudden change to cold from warm was quite annoying. I guess its down to the quality of the system. I do have a way of thinking that more simple is less problematic.
Thanks for your interesting and useful comments everyone! :)

I mostly like the climate control in my Leon but occasionally it seems a bit overzealous with the heat when the car (and ambient) temperature is cold. It doesn't always put out air at 21 (or whatever) degrees, but rather varies the air temp to attempt to sustain the target temp in the cabin. Took me a bit of getting used to, but personally I very much prefer it overall. I also like the fact you can lock the temp of the passenger side to change with the driver side (by holding down the auto button for a few seconds).

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I much prefer dual climate control my 1er had it and our current BLS Caddy has manual always putting the cold/hot dial up and down. Myself and the wife like different temp's so dual climate is a real boon and looks very simple in operation on the FL Leon.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Hi All

Ive been asked whether the climate aircon on the SE upwards is worth the upgrade or is the basic aircon still good enough? Anyone have the basic on their recent Mk2? Cheers

The basic aircon is a kind of half climate control in that you set the temp and forget about it. It varies the heat of the air as needed. The major difference is you have to set where the air goes, ie. feet, windscreen etc. manually compared to auto on the climate control.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I think you will find the aircon gives you the option of having the air comming in to the car chilled but the operator has to adjust the amount of heat added / turn the A/C off and/or adjust the direction of air flow.
Climate control does this for you automaticaly with sensors measuring temperature and sun shine with control actuators on the airflow direction, plus it adjusts the amount of heat and fan speed added to the air flow.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
don't either aircon or climate reduce power output and use more fuel? Or is this urban myth?

Yes, and it used to be a lot ... like 20% odd ...

New technology development has meant that is now like 3% or something like that ...

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Nice one, had climate on last three cars and never knew that!

Not only does the AC/climate cool the car in the winter but the Process of refrigeration makes the air dry and it really helps stop the car misting up in the winter when you get in with wet stuff on.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I think you will find the aircon gives you the option of having the air comming in to the car chilled but the operator has to adjust the amount of heat added / turn the A/C off and/or adjust the direction of air flow.
Climate control does this for you automaticaly with sensors measuring temperature and sun shine with control actuators on the airflow direction, plus it adjusts the amount of heat and fan speed added to the air flow.

The basic aircon does have temperature control in the leon. It uses the outside temp and internal temp so you just set a temperature and forget. The only thing it doesn't do is the air flow and fan speed.

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Having had experince of both, in my opinion, the climate is vastly sperior to the basic aircon. That said the leon's basic aircon is also much better than cars that have aircon but no built in temperature regulation.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
I mostly like the climate control in my Leon but occasionally it seems a bit overzealous with the heat when the car (and ambient) temperature is cold. It doesn't always put out air at 21 (or whatever) degrees, but rather varies the air temp to attempt to sustain the target temp in the cabin. Took me a bit of getting used to, but personally I very much prefer it overall. I also like the fact you can lock the temp of the passenger side to change with the driver side (by holding down the auto button for a few seconds).

:clap: Thanks! Been really annoying me that I have to change both separately when in the car on my own.

Will try it later!

PS: Climate wins!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.