Clio 172 Vs Leon Cupra TDI

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
edde said:
I think this is the important thing to remember I've kept with Scoobies and other racing cars in my car with just 65hp.
The Clio is a very fun car there are some fast ones out there they have a great chassic for track and back roads work I've yet to drive a Fabis but if its anything like the Ibiza i test drove then the Clio will easily beat it equal driver for equal driver on tracl. The diesel does help massivly on track pulling out of bends though.

hmmm, 65hp car keeping up eh? either your car weighs 500kg or the drivers of the other cars were a bit like a horse looking at a fly - just not that bothered.

Diesel torque may help to pull out of a corner on a track, but the weight of the big oil burning engine will have pushed your nose well wide anyway - any nippy petrol motor worth it's salt will have done you on the inside and be glad to get away from your smoke.

Civic_Legend

Jun 7, 2005
Ash
This is just not the case! I was taking many petrol cars apart on track - albeit a wet track, this includes old shape M5's, Impreza's, Fiat coupe turbos and keeping up with a well driven 200sx. I have the video to prove it. Then again it is almost entirely down the to driver and his or her commitment...

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
sorry, but on a wet track the same driver in a diesel fwd car would lap slower than in a petrol 4wd car. Assuming they at least had the same ballpark power/weight.

this thread compares a leon tdi to a clio 172? again, same driver on a track will lap considerably faster in the clio than the leon.

all this 'i've beaten this that and the other' that gets spouted on this forum is meaningless. 95% of the time you have no idea of the experience or motivation of the other driver people are claiming to have beaten.

If you want to compare these cars objectivly you've got to take away the immense variabilty of the driver and assess the cars on their individual merits. it's simple common sense, i'd save bragging for the no-brainer bar flys in your local.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
AndyVTR said:
How often do we all drive on a track?!

hardly anybody, and hardly ever.

which makes boasting about beating people, who you weren't even in an actual race with, doubly pointless.

pbirkett

Jun 17, 2004
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
^ Amen ^

At the end of the day, I get sick of people going on about speed as if its the only thing that matters. My Clio handles very well and is fast enough for my limited ability, and although there are faster cars out there, if I could do just one mod to my car, it would be to make it handle even better, as I think good handling cars are inherently more fun to drive than a bad handling but fast car.

But as always with these things, its each to their own :)

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I'd have straight line speed. Keep all that handling stuff to the track where I'm not risking mine and others lives.

BIGAR

CHESTERFAIRIAN
Feb 5, 2006
CHESTERFAIRIANLAND
Look I am sick to death with the clio & seat debate I have a Ibiza cupra and if there are any clios want to prove a point then send me a PM and will meet and then put the debate to rest! ( on a private road of cause )

In addition to that I would never put down any diesel of the caliber in this thread cos no matter how you look at it they are sh*t quick not just for a diesel but as far as road cars go.

Clio owners have a bee in there bonnet cos they find upgrading there
cars hard to do, and don't tell me you wouldn't snatch some ones hand of if they told you that you can get an extra 50 bhp from mapping your ECU that you wouldn't have it done!

sorry about lowering the tone of this debate but sometimes it gets too much

I respect any car that is quick whether it be a clio, seat, golf it makes no odds just all this mines bigger than yours bull s**t and then comes the slaggin down of each others cars its pathetic, just arrange a track day an sort it out,
its easy.

and count me in :p

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Good comments. All cars are good at different things.

I had a clio 172 (or 82) not sure which 05 plate? Just left home wasnt racing, got to a roundabout where i am normally agressive, but wasnt, then this clio came out of nowhere and took me on my normal right hand line around the roundabout, I sat on him, but he was very quick and nibble.

So fine I thought fair play, I only have a standard 150 tdi. So there is a tiny straight just after the roundabout, I checked the dips nothing coming so I let him have it and left him standing.

Now coming from an MR2 roadster that has held of a scooby on the twisties, I have always given respect to both fast cars in a straight line and ones that can handle. You have to know where your car is best and just enjoy it.

Enjoyed sooting the clio. that 60-100 is just great.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
I recently saw a remapped Leon Tdi stay with a remapped Leon cupra....there really was hardly anything in it off the line.....

I know one thing..when i have to grow up, an get a sensible car, i wont be underestimating the power of the darkside...especially with 45-55 to the gallon.....

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Spanky said:
You not sure what car YOU owned..???
No I meant I had one try to race me, not I owned one, although I nearly bought one, but he boot wasnt big enough and I needed a diesel

I'm quite looking forward to getting my Mondeo ST TDCi next week. I've just found out that I can get a Bluefin remap and a K&N filter that will take it to 195bhp and 520Nm of torque. That must be quite amusing...

T. Spark

This thread is amusing :D

ive had a play with a few 172/182's since my has been remapped, at the moment it stands at 2-1 to me, with a draw between!

As said in other posts, alot depends on how much the driver it ready to commit to a corner etc etc, saying "If the driver was the same in both cars" just doesnt fly with me im afriad, its not the same driver in both cars on a track or on the road!

Id have to say tho, without my remap I dont think I would have been so willing to try and give a few ago tbh.

A standard RS clio will eat for breakfast and spit out any std Tdi.

Hmm, just waiting for the new 2.0 TDi in the Leon with 200bhp to come and p*ss all over your petrol now tbh :p

Hmmm.... a standard Clio 172 or 182 will absolutely kill a standard whatever TDI

And again :p

Nevermind some of the quotes of "I want a fast car out of the box, so its the 182 for me" sorta reply's. I know at no point did you say everyone should be like that, but some people look at a car and think "What if" (cheesy :p)

Personally, I prefer the look on that petrol warm hatch owners face when I tell them its a tractor, and then laugh as I go past again :D

My favourite quote has to be if im ever gunning it with a warm hatch beside with me laughing and going "Im getting better mpg, so can go longer :D"

Personal choice at the end of the day, and we all would be very bored if we all had the same stance on cars etc!

Keep it going lads :D

Len_Beach

Ha ha, i've just found this post while searching for pictures of a 3 door Leon believe it or not.

I own the 172 in question. I remember the various runs back from Centre Parcs down the A66. I don't think the results were definitive to be honest as we were both testing the cars in different ways, trying out different things. One instance involved me in the Clio cruising and Phil (SRI 130) accelerating behind me. At this point, I decided to test the mid-range of fifth. Naturally, Phil still passed me as he had the momentum but it wasn't a pasting.

Back to back, both myself and Phil know that the Clio will be quicker but the Leon is much easier to drive and get up to speed quickly. I'm sure Phil will back me up seeing as he has actually bought a 172 now.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have had two run ins with 172 and won both. I think because the leon has more low down grunt like you said it is just easier to go fast quicker.

sri_130

Stupid is, as stupid does
I own the 172 in question. I remember the various runs back from Centre Parcs down the A66. I don't think the results were definitive to be honest as we were both testing the cars in different ways, trying out different things. One instance involved me in the Clio cruising and Phil (SRI 130) accelerating behind me. At this point, I decided to test the mid-range of fifth. Naturally, Phil still passed me as he had the momentum but it wasn't a pasting.

Back to back, both myself and Phil know that the Clio will be quicker but the Leon is much easier to drive and get up to speed quickly. I'm sure Phil will back me up seeing as he has actually bought a 172 now.

Len, how nice of you to dig this post up from the past, you Garforth fool.:blink:

Yes the Centre Parcs trip was cause for amusement (seems a long time ago now eh?). We were both testing the cars out for different things and although it looked pretty close, you were the faster of the two bullets, given that I didn't know you were cruising is probable justification of the fact the clio is far quicker.
Easier to drive, yep, agree with that 10 fold. The rickity Clio is just not designed for it, but comparing the two in either instance of speed and comfort is a pointless debate.

Yes I do now own a 172 but not for my own amusement I might add. The woman has purchased it (with my financial assistance!) to replace the aforementioned 1.9 pug.
I regularly get usage from the old girl and although pretty much standard would still have the leon for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But that is by the by, they are totally different cars in terms of design and usage. (so why did i even write the inital post?! - I guess I thought you weren't cruising!:redface: )

Len, Pint at the wknd?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.