Clunking suspension?

couling78

Hi there people,
Im afraid im a very dim lass when it comes to cars, and my hubby is currently away working........and my car is poorly!:cry:
I hate the idea of walking into a garage and saying "my car is poorly, please help" so thought i'd see if anyone could offer any advice as to what the problem may be. PLEASE!
I have got a horrible, loud clunking noise that seems to be coming from around the front driver side wheel/engine> (Said I was dim!)
It only seems to make this noise when i hit a bump whilst turning. If im on a straight road, all is quiet?
Any ideas guys?
Please please help,
Regards to you all,
Carol.

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Hi Carol.........
I am a lady (in the real sense....not little britain style!!!!)......i know what your saying about walking into garages........anyway.......have done quite a lot of stuff to my car.......well i learn about it....tell him in doors what i want.......he does it i watch!!!

i had the clunking noise from the front....my wishbone bushes were torn and i had dodgy standard suspension. my dampers had basically given up. i changed suspension and the knock wasnt so severe but since changing bushes there is no knocking.......
perhaps your starting point should be suspension......some guys on here were talking about bushes at the top of the strut that also wear and can cause some movement and a knock.
what year is your car?

Deleted member 5241

i had the clunking noise from the front....my wishbone bushes were torn and i had dodgy standard suspension.

I had knocking at the front end on my Toledo and it turned out to be the wishbone bushes as said by Sam above. Good place to start for repairs, could also be the anti roll bar bushes. Parts are cheap, labour is a different matter though as usual :cry:

couling78

Thanks guys,
My car is just a bog standard 2000 Toledo, 1.8, 20v SE. Nothing special im afraid. Just a sensible family car! (Thats poorly!)
When me and "it" indoors got wed we splashed all out on cars, but with kids etc, sensibility kicked in!

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Thanks guys,
My car is just a bog standard 2000 Toledo, 1.8, 20v SE. Nothing special im afraid. Just a sensible family car! (Thats poorly!)
When me and "it" indoors got wed we splashed all out on cars, but with kids etc, sensibility kicked in!

tis true.........its a sensible family car............WITH LOTS OF POTENTIAL!!!!;)
hope you get it sorted

couling78

Hve just had a call from the garage.... Its the coil spring, its snapped! £120 fitted..... Is this good? I haven't even got a clue if im getting ripped off or not.

Deleted member 5241

Guess what, mines doing it again. I'm thinking Springs myself, did the car sit level otherwise? Mine is also creakign a hell of a lot, any ideas anybody?

I thank you...

Deleted member 5241

Just to add to mine, it turned out to be the nut on the track control arm was loose. Last time I use that garage for tracking!! BTW, if you live in the fylde it was Barry and Wilkinson tyres in Poulton.

Tollybird

I had clinking and clunking under my V5 too - the exhaust bracket was broken and it was the exhaust making the noise, got it welded - problem solved, though at the service I was told that front wishbone suspension plus roll bar suspension are beginning to seperate (I may have got a bit confused over the detail) and will need sorting in 2-3 years, so I guess I have to anticipate more clunking in the future?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.