clutch dual mass question

gus

Jun 27, 2006
hi everyone i have a quick question if you could help.

i have a sachs performance clutch do i need to buy a dual mass as well to go with it, the cluthc only slips when i put my foot down in the low end of the rev range, there is no extra vibrations or any other issues.
some peole are saying yes get one some aint .....

what would you recomend?? and wharers the best place to get one for and how much are they ???

many thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
From what I have read you only need a new flywheel if the old one is faulty. If your DMF isn't causing any vibrations or strange noises it should be fine to just fit the clutch on it's own.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
bril mate ive heard mixed stories so i dont know if i shold change it now....

gus

Jun 27, 2006
mine on 70k and i have no problems or issues with the car so i dont know weather to change it or not, will at p torqoe said u dont need to and otehrs an a mate who is a mechanic said it would be a good idea to change it. sooooooooooooooo i dont know what to really do as tehre arounf £300 for the dual mass......

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I had my sachs clutch put in on the standard fly wheel. They said it would only need changing if the old fly wheel was fecked. Then I would have the option of fitting single mass or dual mass. From what im told single mass is lighter and will let you rev easier but will possibly create a strange rattling kind of sound, where as the dual mass is quiet.
My oem clutch went after i had a custom code phase 1 map put on it a few days earlier. it had done around 60000 miles.

gus

Jun 27, 2006
so really i dont need to change the dual mass??? many thnaks for your relpies ;-)

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
You only "need" to change the DMF if it is damaged in some way i.e making excesive noise etc.
But! If you are paying someone to do it then most of the labour charge will be in removing and refiting the g-box so if it has done a few miles or you drive the car hard then it may be worth changing it anyway at the same time.
Also DMF vs SMF debate ;)
Ive upgraded to a SMF and it is slightly noisey when ticking over at the traffic lights with the windows down. But they are roughly a third of the price and wont come apart like a DMF would, also they are lighter so the engine revs easier.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.