Clutch Master Cylinder Gone again

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
My clutch master cyclinder has just gone for the third time. Seat are going to replace under warranty again, but i am getting sick of this as they have to treat it as a break down to get the car in straight away and i am without it for at least 3 days.

also Seat are saying that although they offer a 2 year parts warranty, the two years does not start again with the fitting of a replacement part. Is this right, as there is 2 months left on the original warranty but it has now failed twice in that time and i am worried it will do so again.

any other bad experiences out there?

Matt

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
To be honest dude you should be very happy that they are replacing your clutch, your car isn't producing the standard power and it doesn't have the standard exhaust
So I'd either fit an aftermarket clutch or be happy that your getting it done under warranty

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
indeed, they are well within their rights to turn around and not do any warranty work as the car is not standard.

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Sorry perhaps i have confussed you. They are not acting under the warrant on the car as this is long since expired. The warranty applies to the Part purchased direct from Seat which has its own 2 year warranty.

Spoke to trading Standards today who said the two year warranty runs from the original sale, but if it fails again would have a good case against Seat under the Sale of Goods Act as part is deemed substandard.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
But surely this part only has to be used for what it was designed for ie 180 BHP Leon Cupra with say 190 ft-lbs torque
Now that its getting say 210 BHP and 215ft=lbs of torque its not having to only do what it was designed for, its doing this and more
See what were saying?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
i've had two master cylinders in 18 months. the first was replaced underwarranty, the second cured the problem for a week then seemed to go again. after inspection it turned out to be the slave cylinder thats located in the bell housing. was advised to get the clutch done at the same time as i was on the original clutch and at 83000. £460 later it all seems fine.
get them to check to see if the slave cylinder is ok because they'll go for the quick fix everytime.

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Good call sheffboy
I was going to say myself , get the slave cylinder replaced at the same time
Sarah

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
But surely this part only has to be used for what it was designed for ie 180 BHP Leon Cupra with say 190 ft-lbs torque
Now that its getting say 210 BHP and 215ft=lbs of torque its not having to only do what it was designed for, its doing this and more
See what were saying?

Don't really see how this applies to this problem. Master cylinder only provides hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder. Its the slave cylinder which sepparates the clutch from the fly wheel. Besides its the same part as in the LCR so it not being subjected to power beyind tollerances.

BRB

part-timer
Mar 18, 2008
Glasgow
Ah okay, now I see
Was thinking of slave

Just read this post ... its old i know but what i am reading this is a common problem of the slave cylinder malfunctioning on the lcr ........

Wullie do u know if star performance do clutch replacements or replacement of slave cylinder ...... i know this is pricey but looking for a garage i can trust as i have read good reviews of star performance...

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Just read this post ... its old i know but what i am reading this is a common problem of the slave cylinder malfunctioning on the lcr ........

Wullie do u know if star performance do clutch replacements or replacement of slave cylinder ...... i know this is pricey but looking for a garage i can trust as i have read good reviews of star performance...
They do

BRB

part-timer
Mar 18, 2008
Glasgow

Thought so any how.......................... have put a post in on what went wrong with my lcr ..... put some pics up too...no help yet///

Would u recomend that i get clutch replaced to when its in ....... whats would be the difference in price if i got an upgraded clutch ...... do u think i would need one as my lcr is mostly standard ... well for now anyhow as using remap money to fix clutch ...

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
So what is actually failing on the master cylinder? Whats the fault?

Anyone else wondering seeing as the car has been through three of them? And who is fitting it?

BRB

part-timer
Mar 18, 2008
Glasgow
So what is actually failing on the master cylinder? Whats the fault?

Anyone else wondering seeing as the car has been through three of them? And who is fitting it?

Hi mate ....... just recently got this problem and i posted it on here...

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253690

no replys as yet ...all problems i have encountered are on this post ....

I dont think it is my clutch as never had any problems with it slipping ....

Was going to phone star performance as would like a good dependant garage ( Read loads of good reviews about them )..

Dont know if it is my clutch or just the slave cylinder .... been told by 2 garages i need a new clutch aswell as a new slave cylinder ...

Dont really know what would be involved in fitting this ..... and if the clutch has to be taken out or gear box ... would i be better off replacing the clutch too ...

broxburnboyz

ive just had the problem with my clutch falling to the floor.clutch isnt slipping.no rattling or burning smells.where is the master cylinder located on car.and how much are they to buy.any help would be appreicated.set leon cupra.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
ive just had the problem with my clutch falling to the floor.clutch isnt slipping.no rattling or burning smells.where is the master cylinder located on car.and how much are they to buy.any help would be appreicated.set leon cupra.
Just keep on pulling it up till it doesn't come up any more.
Mine did this a few times but went away, strange but true.

broxburnboyz

thanks willie got the car into garage yesterday so heres hoping something silly and not to expensive.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.