clutch pedal is getting worse :(

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
Its really getting me down now, clutch pedal this morning had hardly any movement in it and it crunched alot going into reverse and forward gears werent much better on the move with it being difficult to get into gear :cry:

My girlfriends sisters boyfriend is a mechanic for BMW and hes offered to take a look tonight so hopefully he'll be able to sort it but for the life of me i cant think what it'd be, i really wish i'd had the pedal welded in the car now, would of been so much less grief :blink:

Plus on top of that shes stinking from visiting the gym in cardiff as its pretty much smack bang in the middle of a building site, and the car still isnt boosting to 20psi, only making 15psi

all fun and games eh! Im stuck in work today but shes going to be getting some love tomorrow, i'll post some pics!

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
Hope you get it sorted Dave, my clutch pedal is creaking but seems, ok, i've tried to have a look, but i dont undestand how in the hell, your able to see where the crack is in the assembly!

How do you do it?

I'm in work too, luckily its on overtime, and i'm doing a project which is nearly completed now, so i'll be wasting abit of time in the office later, watching tv, as there's no bosses, and getting paid for it.

My car needs a good clean too, after some brainless turd in a 106 independance, cut me up on the A470, and forced me off the road, nearly hit the central barrier! And the twat didn't even notice what he'd done! Cnut! I'll fukkin ave him if i see him about again!

flashbsd

let us know how you get on, mine has been jippy ever since, have no issues with it, met up with Stevo1 a week back, and he has a low biting point also.

I found checking the bolts on the clutch master cylinder in the drive bay handy, as they were loose! try that! stopped my creaking

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
thats not a bad suggestion fella! I'd never thought of that! Odd question too but can anyone measure their white plastic clip that goes into the box on the side of the pedal that provides a loose joint for the rod that operates the clutch master cylinder, I reused the original that popped out when the weld failed and it looked ok to me but im thinking if a small peice snapped off this would also affect the throw of the clutch

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Mate get a new clip.
I reused mine when I was in the same situation, clip could still be put back onto the end of the rod but a small piece had been snapped of the end.
Had slight play in the clutch pedal for a while, all sorted by westec when my car went in for a new clutch/gbox etc.
Get it sorted as you might eventually :censored: your clutch.

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
its difficult to describe but its directly located behind the clutch pedal and its the engine bay side of the bulkhead but the rod that is pushed into the cylinder to operate the clutch pokes through a hole in the headhead

This rod then pokes into a welded box which is attached to the side of the clutch pedal. so when the pedal is depressed the rod is forced into the cylinder which operates the clutch. Because the angle of the pedal changes as it pivets the rod is held with a clip which allows a degree of movement

On your car daz what did westec do exactly to cure the problem? did they say or did the just do it?

Do you reckon seat will keep the clip in stock? I'd like to get it sorted tonight if possible!

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Well they replaced the clip but also found when changing the gearbox (lost 1st gear as mentioned) that my clutch was :censored: the plate was cracked and in a generally bad state. It all happned around a 2 month period. So it's all linked im sure.

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
daz have you by any chance got a spare clip hanging around? what do u mean by its all linked i dont understand!

h8kky

Jul 25, 2005
ma clutch done this to mate! put your foot under the clutch pedal and lift it up! it worked for me!

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
so its all silky smooth now then? I really could do with it being looked at asap! Half of me says use my family discount and get my gf's sisters boyfriend whos a BMW mechanic by trade to look at it but the other half of me says get Jock to look at it as hes obviously got more experience with VAG group cars, hmmm will be more expensive though :(

h8kky

Jul 25, 2005
nothin mate just lifted the pedal with my foot and its been fine since! just a suggestion for u mate

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
im just wondering if i put the spring back in the correct location too, its a **** design, the bulkhead has a small indentation in it which a lump on the spring holder sits in (although its covered in grease so is a ****er to make it stay while u line up the other end) and the other end has like half moon molded into it which a lump on the top of the pedal sits in!

im thinking could be a combination of everything?

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Get it looked at asap, I would try Jock at westec as he seems to have seen these problems time and time again. You dont want to beshelling out 150ish for a new clutch plus another 150ish for fitting.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.