coil spring broken

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Anyone else had this occur at all? It seems an unusual occurance.

It's the wifes 1.2. 52 plate with 32000 miles on it. She heard a clunking noise so i've investigated and the coil spring has snapped! Cars sitting nice and low on one side!

No previous accidents on the car at all. Can't see reason for it to occur.

What's the verdict on getting both changed as a precaution?

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Cheer all,

Just jacked her up, and lo and behold, lots of bearings dropped on the the floor so bearing mount has fallen to bits.

So that's two springs, two mounts....what about shocks whilst in there? Hove is a town made of speed humps!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I had one go on my Mk4 too. Not uncommon, don't imagine speedbumps help!

Oh, and yes you should change them in pairs.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Cheer all,

Just jacked her up, and lo and behold, lots of bearings dropped on the the floor so bearing mount has fallen to bits.

So that's two springs, two mounts....what about shocks whilst in there? Hove is a town made of speed humps!

Shock will probably be "good enough" for you, but you should buy a couple of new strut top nyloc nuts as well. The top bearing is seperate from the top mount - although the top skin of the bearing now be stuck onto the top mount and will need picked off before re-assembling things - also, you might find that you need to disconnect the drive shaft on one side to get the spring out - so that means that you will need a new nut for the drive shaft and a deep 36mm? bi-hex socket as the nut is "12 pointed".

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members