coilies or a remap?

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
Right... thinking of changing my fixed 50mm setup for coilies. Theres been a shite load of speed bumps going in around where i live and its really starting to piss me off as i suffer back injury every time i go over one!!

what cheap coilies can you recommend? I know it sounds silly but i want to go even lower on the front of my car.... i understand that the ride quality on coilies is much smoother than that a fixed setup.... has anyone gone from a fixed setup to coilies and seen an improved difference?? or wont it make much difference considering the drop i got? I was going to get a remap as im bored of the power now.... so should i get coilies or a map??

thanks

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Coilovers are normally harsher than shock/spring setups. Especially if your wanting to go even lower than what you have now.

what set up have you got at the moment?

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
Thanks both but not the reply i was hoping for... ive got cobra springs/shocks.... fixed 50mm drop...the cobra shocks started to leak a while back (one on the back and one on the front) ... so changed back to standard shock with the cobra springs.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If your really considering a remap or a better suspension set up you need to change the suspension by the sounds of it anyway.
Not point having lots or straight line power if the handling is pissing you off.
Question answered??

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
I've got to agree, get the suspension sorted first so that you get use the extra power.

As said shocks and springs are less harsh then coilovers so if you go to a set of cheap coilovers, the ride quality will most likely get worse.

I'd say opt for a good quality set of springs and shocks, something like the KW's would be a good choice.

Damian @ DPM Performance

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
couldnt agree more i fitted mine last week.
the results were awesome!
had the 40mm kit and it doesent sit as low as yours but the ride is fantastic not harsh at all but such a reduction in body roll much more confident on the road
i ran standard setup before and was worried about comfort but these are very forgiving!
recommend the kw all the way

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
How do you guys cope lowering your Cupras? Mine is all standard and it catches on the harshest speed bumps and ramps and all sorts :-(

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
hi when you guys say cheap coilovers would weitec hicon GT's be included in this as im thinking of getting a set but dont want rock solid ride

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
No not at all, the Weitec's are a great choice and even more so now that we have them with nearly £100 off and free delivery.

Damian @ DPM Performance

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
drive slower:cartman:
wouldnt ever have standard again!

tell me about it, going from coilovers back to stock is horrible..even the braking is compromised, as you get so much more forward roll!

hi when you guys say cheap coilovers would weitec hicon GT's be included in this as im thinking of getting a set but dont want rock solid ride

i always thought of weitec as being a good brand?:confused:

Are you sure its not already lowered, my standard cupra sat like a tractor! :cartman:

snap!

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
thanks for all your replies guys... its much appreciated. Its not that the handling is poor, its just that the ride quality isnt the best when over bumps/ poor roads etc. In fact it handles really well... as said above though im riding on the standard shocks now cause the ones i had with the kit started to leak. Can anyone reccommend a good set of shocks as i imagine the standard ones are now probably shagged to death due to the drop. Im hoping that a decent set of shocks will help make the ride a bit smoother.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Are you wanting to use them with standard springs? If so the Bilstein B4's are a good option and basically uprated gas versions of the standard shocks.

Damian @ DPM Performance

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
Are you wanting to use them with standard springs? If so the Bilstein B4's are a good option and basically uprated gas versions of the standard shocks.

Damian @ DPM Performance

No i will be using them with the 50mm springs i got....my shocks i had with the kit started to leak so i had to change back to the standard shocks..