Coilovers or shocks+springs?

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
I have been doing a lot of searching and found coilovers to be what i want to go for,however i had a good read over warrens coilover sticky in this section, very interesting stuff.

it brings me to question myself whether il benefit more from coilovers or shocks and springs.

im not bothered about lowering my car, thats just an added bonus (i think the ride height is good enough). im looking for a more responsive feel, better power to the ground, and good damper settings.

i was interested in the fully adjustable coilovers since you can not only adjust height, but more importantly you can tinker with the damper settings.

however if i can get away with a good set up from something like eibach shocks and springs i could opt in for that route.

before i go ahead with this, i will be adding a rear ARB and a front S3 strut brace as well as powerflex bushes/dogbone mount.

Any advice would be good thanks.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
the real question is whether in reality you will change the suspension set up much. i expect you wont.

also as you dont appear to be wanting to lower the car much, then id say that going for a shock / spring set up woud be what you want. this will also be alot cheaper, the savings can then go on something else :)

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
thanks for your advice andy. thats a good idea.

as for changing the set up, i was planning on hitting knockhill on some track days (set suspension to hard) and obviously cruising around town (softer suspension) and hoping to go visit the 'ring sometime soon.

but if it works out a lot cheaper i could just go for the shocks and springs. any idea how much i'd be looking at for a good set?

andycupra

status subject to change
well you can get shocks and springs for a leon from £250... so if you spent around £350 you would have a 'good set'.
Clearly you need to factor in fitting, alignment etc. Also whether you want to replace the top mounts while there, or indeed any bushes...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members