Coilovers or Springs and Dampers? (Q with a difference)

Hi all.

I have the Phil Jackson coilovers.

Not fitted at the minute, currently got Spax springs and dampers. The car handles really well, but isn't low enough at the front.

What's the handling on the coilovers like do we think? Better or worse?

I'll stick with my current set-up in the name of handling if we think they'll be better.

Many thanks,

Alex

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
Theyre budget coilovers at the end of the day mate... and i dont think anyone will have a comparison... especially on something fairly opinionated like the handling

Id try them for size and see the difference yourself to get a true answer...
Then you can share it with the rest of us so we know for future which is best :D

ste4232

Jan 9, 2008
im interested in this thread. There are some coilovers showing up on ebay for £200-300 a set, which sounds too good to be true. Currently have bilstein dampers and springs on mine, but i want coilovers as the car will soon spend most of its time on tracks hhhhhhhmmmmmm

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
I wouldnt want to use a budget set of coilovers if you are doing a lot of track stuff mate. I'd stick with the quality of the Bilstein setup myself.

Ollie

Mckellar

crap.

if you want the real answer. Budget coilovers do one thing - lower it ...a lot

not much else. Dont get me wrong, its still a world apart from standard GTi suspension, but in comparison to a decent coilover set up of weitec/H&R/spax RSX - its not fair to compair a budget set from a set 3x the price.

ste4232

Jan 9, 2008
Thats my thoughts - Why would some people charge £1500 if they as good as £300 ones!

What coilovers are people running and how much did they cost? Think a few people would lile to know!

sjc59

Jul 30, 2006
As said the cheap coilovers are great for putting the car on its arse it does handle better than standard but it could be better

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
...put it this way my car is very low and going around roundabouts or hard corners it bounces up and down slightly, as above its mainly used for the look but the handeling is still good imo.

Mckellar

i wouldnt put trust in a set of cheaper coilovers going fast round corners, i dont find them that hard when they are wound down.

You're better with an H&R cup kit. 50-55mm lower and sh1t hot handling abilities, think the kit is £350.

Winding Coilovers down makes them soft.
Winding Coilovers up makes them firm.

All to do with reducing the springs re-coil. Think that sounds about right??

I am one of the few who have first hand experience of Coilovers and uprated springs and shocks.

I ran Bilstein Streetlines (Uprated shocks and springs) Last car
I run FK Automtive Hi-Sport Coilovers on my current car.

Bilstein's don't get me wrong are very good but they were very firm indeed. Coilovers feel as good in the corner but don't feel as firm on your backside when you hit any bumps. I have played with my coilover settings. Done the whole slam it to the ground and I thought it drove PANTS. So I got it wound back up and it has been fine. Looking to higher the back up more and spacing my wheels out so it feels even better.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it :)

I think I'm going to leave it as it is. It isn't high by anyone's standards, and I know and trust the handling as it is. Going to get my ARBs and bushes and see what its like.

May fit some lowering springs cap things to the front to bring it that little bit closer to the tarmac :)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I also had a quite a few different set up so here they are:

1.4 Ibiza, standard suspension - well rather like a boat feeling around cornets but smooth

1.4 ibiza Gmax shocks and springs - really harsh front end damping yet still quite a lot of roll around corner

Valver Ibiza, standard suspension - about the same as 1.4 with suspension kit, quite harsh (for standard car) but very slow steering feel

Valver with GAZ coilovers - ABSOLUTELLY superb, really direct steering feel, really sharp fell to it. Not uncomfortably harsh yet really stiff enough to feel like its on rails. Adjustable damping to make it just right

1.4 Polo with Gmax springs - not harsh, not bottoming out,yet (probably because previous owner fitted 4 new standard shock 6 months ago). slightly better then standard suspension bit not by much.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
Im currently running FK highsport coilovers, they cost me roughly £450 from venom motorsport. I couldnt say a bad thing about them, they are quality. It puts my car on the floor and keeps it running sweet. I think ive got the fronts down about 100mm and the back about 70mm.

Dont get my wrong tho, they are firm as you like! I love it! but for motorway miles it hurts my back a little but thats the fun of it all! you gotta keep it interesting!

I think I'll get some proper coilovers in the future, but yesterday I sold my Jackson Tuning ones.

Advertised them on Edition 38 at 11:40, and twenty minutes later I had a buyer. Got £215, and had to deliver them about twenty miles away. Not bad at all really.

Im currently running FK highsport coilovers, they cost me roughly £450 from venom motorsport. I couldnt say a bad thing about them, they are quality. It puts my car on the floor and keeps it running sweet. I think ive got the fronts down about 100mm and the back about 70mm.

Dont get my wrong tho, they are firm as you like! I love it! but for motorway miles it hurts my back a little but thats the fun of it all! you gotta keep it interesting!

I've heard mixed reviews of FK coilies. Apparently, they are good for decking your car to the floor, you have good adjustability and are well priced, but for handling there are better out there for similar cash.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members