Coilovers

p1ngwin

Oct 26, 2015
Sweden
Hello!

Have a question about coilovers, can i use coilovers from a hatch to a leon ST ? is it the same suspension on both cars?

I have a Leon FR ST 1.4 and i looking for some coilovers but i just found some from KW and H&R anyone who knows some cheaper?

I just want to drop the car and i dont need a race coilover with many functions. :confused:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I read somewhere the St has beefed up rear suspension due to extra weight so I wouldn't recommend swapping from an sc.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
The ST uses exactly the same components as the hatch. It only weighs around 20kg more than the equivalent 5dr version thanks to some nifty engineering.

The only difference to this rule is the 'X-Perience' models, because they have 4wd.

Last edited:

p1ngwin

Oct 26, 2015
Sweden
The ST uses exactly the same components as the hatch. It only weighs around 20kg more than the equivalent 5dr version thanks to some nifty engineering.

The only difference to this rule is the 'X-Perience' models, because they have 4wd.

Okey so i can use hatch coilovers to my ST but 20kg is not so much? is not so often i drive with 4-5 people in the car btw. But if i find some for ST model i buy that instead.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Okey so i can use hatch coilovers to my ST but 20kg is not so much? is not so often i drive with 4-5 people in the car btw. But if i find some for ST model i buy that instead.

I haven't done it myself, but if I were that's exactly what I'd do pal. Any that are designed to fit the equivalent 5dr will fit the ST. The weight is absolutely fine, a full tank of petrol weighs a lot more than the added weight of the estate body, to put it in perspective.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site

Are you sure?

Whilst the dry weight of the ST is about 30Kg heavier than the 5dr, you must remember the ST is designed to carry a heavier load. If you look at the Maximum Gross Weight the ST is about 90Kg heavier than the 5dr.

I would think that even though the suspension components may look the same, the ST ones will be rated higher to accommodate the extra load.

Ultimately it is down to the OP what he does to his car, but if it were me I would want something as important as the suspension to be right. Don't trust what you read on here as gospel, have an expert confirm it for you.

Better safe than sorry!

Last edited:

p1ngwin

Oct 26, 2015
Sweden
Yes ofcourse! I have send some mail to diffrent companys to get more information! And ofcourse i want to have it perfect so if i can get some coils for ST i take that!

I have looked at lowering springs, but i just found some 40/40 lowering and when i have seen some pictures of that im not so satisfied..

Maybe someone here who have 40/40 lowered who can post a picture?

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Are you sure?

Whilst the dry weight of the ST is about 30Kg heavier than the 5dr, you must remember the ST is designed to carry a heavier load. If you look at the Maximum Gross Weight the ST is about 90Kg heavier than the 5dr.

I would think that even though the suspension components may look the same, the ST ones will be rated higher to accommodate the extra load.

Ultimately it is down to the OP what he does to his car, but if it were me I would want something as important as the suspension to be right. Don't trust what you read on here as gospel, have an expert confirm it for you.

Better safe than sorry!

All very good advice, totally agree Biker. Always worth checking with a pro first. I'd be interested to hear what their opinion was too.

Zoomx

Nov 19, 2015
Okay.
i Just think you will ruin the comfort with such cheap coils from TA. AP is such a better quality[B)]

p1ngwin

Oct 26, 2015
Sweden
Okay.
i Just think you will ruin the comfort with such cheap coils from TA. AP is such a better quality[B)]

Comfort is not a big deal if its little bumpy.. Every car i had has been some bumpy and low and i like it :happy:

Last edited:

Zoomx

Nov 19, 2015
yes!
Looking forward to hear you choice and why! :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.