Collant warning light come on after going around a bend

car767

Nov 4, 2022
Driving on the motorway for about an 1hr30m went round a bend coolant light came on. So I stop the car to check my level it was fine but I put small amount in just to fill past the max line. Drove another 30 mins had no issues afterwards.

Tell

Staff member
Mine came on once in my standard Ateca. The bottle looked a little low, above the low mark but not a lot. Probably just needs to be liberally filled on the high low marks. I park on a slight hill which was sufficient to do it. The dealer sloshed some in, just up the road, good at things like this. Also mentioned a cold weather issue which I can't totally recall but the story goes along the lines in cold weather this happens to the sensor or something. I put it down to the tilt and not enough in it rather than cold weather. Probably the sensor was just outside the fluid.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Cold weather affects fluid levels slightly just as it does tyre pressures, although after an hour and a half’s driving I would expect it to be up to temp and level ok.

Tell

Staff member
I couldn't see that one would still be active after 90 minutes (on the flat). It could be the circular ball design and the marks on it need it to be liberally filled. The dealer on this one didn't bat an eye about topping it up further. I note it's at the high spot now having done my checks under the bonnet today, serviced about a month ago. Mine was just low on that low mark and the tilt triggered the indicator I reckon (probably a 10% tilt on the drive). The moral is to fill to the high mark. Probably a design fault that the low mark is a bit too low, a bend or tilt can cause the light to come on 🙄.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.