Collision Warning Light

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Since getting our facelift Leon the collision warning light has come on a couple of times for no apparent reason. Only for a second then goes out again. Is this just something it does or does it suggest a fault?

It's an early 2017 car with the brake assist but not adaptive cruse.

Thank you :0)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
My 2018 Leon has shown random warnings of a (non-existent) collision on a few occasions. Tends to disturb passengers!

My lot wouldn't even notice it. Only thing they ever pick up on is if I drive faster than a deceased granny :0(

Steeldevil

Jan 13, 2019
Since getting our facelift Leon the collision warning light has come on a couple of times for no apparent reason. Only for a second then goes out again. Is this just something it does or does it suggest a fault?

It's an early 2017 car with the brake assist but not adaptive cruse.

Thank you :0)
Perfectly normal, ours has done it several times. It once happened as i hit quite a steep dip in the road and the car decided to hit the brake. Brown trouser moment i can tell you.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Perfectly normal, ours has done it several times. It once happened as i hit quite a steep dip in the road and the car decided to hit the brake. Brown trouser moment i can tell you.

I've heard about these cars doing stuff like that. Not a fan. It must cause accidents occasionally.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I’ve had it on occasion over both cars, normally when you’re on a big motorway round about and you have people coming to a stop off the sliproads. Or where there is a designated lane off the roundabout so they don’t have to give way.

It’s also activated a couple of times just as I was already breaking, annoying as it’s like a full on emergency stop when you press the peddle as the car applies the brakes as well.

There has only been one occasion where it’s activated AND stopped the car and not needed to, and that was on my works car park when it was being resurfaced. It was a dip with a raised grid in front.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I've had lots of tone with icon warnings; most often valid, like when a slow moving car is turning off the road in front of me, but sometime just a radar reflection from a wheelie bin or other roadside object. It's especially startling on an empty road, when you think it's about to hit something you've missed - if this happened a lot I'd get it checked out.

It's only once hit the brake, when I was already doing the same thing but it beat me to it - as a white van man decided to emergency stop, he'd unexpectedly arrived at his delivery destination and couldn't see the problem.

Overall my opinion is that it's a neat feature for every car to have now, especially if you are a pedestrian or cyclist. It will probably cause a lot of minor shunts and even some medium to serious car accidents on high speed roads - but unlikely to kill any of us as we're all in our cars.

If yours does trigger a crash it will still always be the person behind you's fault, as they should have left themselves reaction and braking time. Just blame it on HAL 9000.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
One thing that puzzles me is that, when I was googling this the other day, I found that the brake assists system has to work for the MOT. If it's faulty it's an MOT fail. If that is correct, how come you are allowed to deactivate it? There is a button in the menu lets you switch it off.

B9MYO

Apr 9, 2020
u bought a car that was previously crashed but the seller did not mention this
Not true at all, mines a brand new Leon Cupra and mine does it randomly. Even when there's no other cars on the road. I had to change the settings on it to detect as late as possible and it rarely does it anymore

B9MYO

Apr 9, 2020
How do you do that? Is it a user setting? OBD11?
Its a user setting, can't precisely remember the exact place but it's under Vehicle settings and Driver assistance. Mine has the option of Early, Medium or Late and I put it into late and it doesn't stop it completely but it doesn't do it near as often as it used to

Reactions: Mr Pig

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
One thing that puzzles me is that, when I was googling this the other day, I found that the brake assists system has to work for the MOT. If it's faulty it's an MOT fail. If that is correct, how come you are allowed to deactivate it? There is a button in the menu lets you switch it off.
Different markets, different tests, different rules?

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Also got frequent random warnings sometimes even when there is nothing in front of me on rural open road, fortunately emergency braking hasn't thrown on and I changed mine to Late. Locally/motorway can also get a safety distance warning but I try to keep a 'gap' between me and the car in front at least this doesn't light up the dash and beep at you. I had a hired Mitsubishi Outlander in Australia January (before Covid struck) and whilst the collision warning never came on at all the whole rental it did an emergency brake approaching a junction with no warning...must have brown trousered the bloke behind, certainly gave me a shock! Whilst we kept away from the bushfires I opened the window on the motorway and the air was burning my skin...
20200104_144541.jpg

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
If yours does trigger a crash it will still always be the person behind you's fault, as they should have left themselves reaction and braking time. Just blame it on HAL 9000.
Little comfort if the vehicle behind is a fully loaded HGV that can't stop. I've seen what happens when a 38-tonner hits a stationary car and it's not pleasant.

Similarly it will be your fault if the car in front of you suddenly does a full on emergency stop for no apparent reason. Few people leave enough gap to stop in these circumstances.

Beeps and flashing lights are OK but having the car automatically apply the brakes for no reason is really scary stuff. Nothing worse than technolgy that doesn't work properly.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've not had the car brake yet but I am convinced that the tech is not that brilliant. I got another false warning yesterday but on the same trip, a car stopped going off a roundabout, I noticed rather late and almost hit it. No warning, no braking. I was close enough to the car that I know I would've hit it had I not caught it just in time.

We're just guinea pigs for this stuff.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.