Comparison: height of Cupra TDI standard v Eibach coilovers (pics)

bizzaboy

Just Eibach springs on standard dampers... i'd get better/uprated dampers next time!

Didn't look too bad, just needed rear lowering!

Can I ask how you would go about lowering the rear (more) if you have lowering springs fitted? As surely the springs give you just the "one" lowered height (is it still possible to lower the rear further somehow)?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Can I ask how you would go about lowering the rear (more) if you have lowering springs fitted? As surely the springs give you just the "one" lowered height (is it still possible to lower the rear further somehow)?

Cut a bit off the spring (don't do it) that's the only way if you have Eibach springs!

Or coilovers...

Maybe if you buy the proper shocks to go with it it'd lower it abit more. I know Ad Lav had standard shocks on lowered springs - the standard shocks would've been constantly trying to push the car up on the lowered springs. But the uprated shocks might be a bit lower? :shrug:

bizzaboy

Maybe if you buy the proper shocks to go with it it'd lower it abit more. I know Ad Lav had standard shocks on lowered springs - the standard shocks would've been constantly trying to push the car up on the lowered springs. But the uprated shocks might be a bit lower? :shrug:

Ad_Lav -
Cheers! Remember back in the day some friends cut a coil (or TWO) out of their standard Springs on their Ford Fiesta XR2's! :D "Lethal" would probaby be the word to use. Looked pretty cool tho, they would easily bottom-out on speed bumps though! Those were the days. lol.

Ibiza 130 -
Would be interesting to find that out.
I have the Eibach Pro Street lowered Spring kit on mine.
The front really couldn't get much lower over the wheels! However, agree, the rear end rides a little higher (still doesnt look bad though).

Would need proof that uprated Dampers would actually help lower the rear end a bit (on the already fitted Eibach springs), otherwise I would save the £££, and buy Coilovers instead.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Would need proof that uprated Dampers would actually help lower the rear end a bit (on the already fitted Eibach springs), otherwise I would save the £££, and buy Coilovers instead.

I don't know if this would sort it - it's just a guess like. But can you see what I mean? I'd have thought the standard shocks are pushing against the lowering springs all the time - that's why they eventually shag the shocks. But yeh.....might be worth trying! Just a bit costly if it makes no difference. :(

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
I always thought it was more to do with standard shocks being designed to work at a certan "extension", i.e. they'll be compressed a certain amount with standard springs, but if you fitted shorter springs then the shocks will be compressed further all the time. Obviously if they're compressed further all of the time, more pressure is being put on them and they're working harder, hence why they could be knackered quicker...

But I could be wrong! :p
Ally

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Yeh that's right bud. :) If you compress a shock absorber - it's always trying to push back to it's full length. They're like big versions of the boot/bonnet gas strut things. :)

Well explained a11y. I'm trying to but dunno how to! :lol:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
just don't know if I can justify it... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I was really close to buying some not long ago but then thought it's a lot of hassle to fit them - then i'd want them taking off when I sell the car and it'd compromise the comfort etc etc.

Ten bags of sand are cheaper and you can adjust the height MUCH easier! ;)

a11y

2 wheels better...
Jul 18, 2007
Central Scotland
I know what you mean. I was really close to buying some not long ago but then thought it's a lot of hassle to fit them - then i'd want them taking off when I sell the car and it'd compromise the comfort etc etc.

Ten bags of sand are cheaper and you can adjust the height MUCH easier! ;)
I'd have thought 15 bags of sand might give a better effect... :p

Sir Nodrick

i have fitted a set of eibach pro kit springs to my missus's FR Tdi, and to be honest, i'm not that impressed with them. The front is too low and the back is too high..... the front is that low, that her tyres rub on the arch liners.... in fact, so much so, i might leave the eibachs on the back but refit the standard ones on the front....

Last edited by a moderator:

T. Spark

i have fitted a set of eibach pro kit springs to my missus's FR Tdi, and to be honest, i'm not that impressed with them. The front is too low and the back is too high..... the front is that low, that her tyres rub on the arch liners.... in fact, so much so, i might leave the eibachs on the back but refit the standard ones on the front....

Just as what the first posts says. Low at the front, high at the back....

Elfman

Jan 12, 2008
Durham/Darlington
I'm also looking for some Cupra TDI springs if sumone has some for sale :) I was thinking about getting Eibach springs, then later getting Eibach shocks once the normal ones are buggered. Probly easier jstu getting coilies though :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise