Component Protection query

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Anyone on here clued up on the MQB component protection?

I understand that a fair few modules (not sure on which ones have CP and which don't) but the obvious ones are the MIB2 and DSG box. If you change the main engine ECU, would this cause CP issues on every other module? As in where do the other modules get their reference from? Is it the VIN from the engine ECU?

I'm changing the engine and dsg box from a 2015 290 cupra into a 2018 FR ST 1.8 TSI DSG, so will swap out the engine ECU and DSG ECU as it's in the box. I'll change the instrument cluster, but will the rest of the modules in the FR ST lock up on me?

Anyone got a list of which modules have CP?

Cheers

Canbus gateway is CP master, CP is much more complex than just a VIN message.

ECU only has immobilizer, no CP. Moving the cluster and the engine means you'll need to do an immobilizer adaptation as the BCM is also an immo component.

You may struggle with the immo adaptation due the vehicle being a different power class, you may get away with it. Worst case scenario, have an immo delete carried out however your insurance won't be impressed by this.

The immo adaptation will need to be done with your existing keys, you can't use keys from another vehicle

If you swap the BCM it'll need coding and component protection removal.

Cluster will need coding regardless as a cupra will be different to your FR, engine likely will too. Abs will definitely need coding

Reactions: Walone and mjj4

mjj4

Sep 30, 2019
Canbus gateway is CP master, CP is much more complex than just a VIN message.

ECU only has immobilizer, no CP. Moving the cluster and the engine means you'll need to do an immobilizer adaptation as the BCM is also an immo component.

You may struggle with the immo adaptation due the vehicle being a different power class, you may get away with it. Worst case scenario, have an immo delete carried out however your insurance won't be impressed by this.

The immo adaptation will need to be done with your existing keys, you can't use keys from another vehicle

If you swap the BCM it'll need coding and component protection removal.

Cluster will need coding regardless as a cupra will be different to your FR, engine likely will too. Abs will definitely need coding
Thanks for such a useful reply, I was out when I read it on my phone so apologies for the late reply.

That makes a lot more sense now, I hadn't really considered the Canbus gateway being the CP master.

So I don't want to go down the immo delete route, and I have 2 99% complete and running Mk3 Leon's. The slight complication is they have several differences:

- 2015 PFL 290 Cupra 5 door hatch 6 speed DSG with VAQ.
- 2018 FL FR 1.8TSI ST 7 speed DSG.

The aim is to put the Cupra engine, gearbox and VAQ into the 2018 1.8TSI, I thought I was doing myself a favour by using 2 cars with Simos 18.1 ECU's, and I wrongly assumed that the engine bay loom had a coupling panel in the scuttle panel like Mk4 golf era cars had. It seems that the Mk3 Leon engine and lighting loom are wrapped as one and go straight to both fuse boxes with no couplings.

I could do a complete loom swap, but this seems excessive amount of work, and I want to keep the canbus controlled FL lighting, and do not want DCC.

From what you've said, it sounds like I either keep the stock ECU from the 1.8TSI and get it loaded with the Stage 1 file from the Cupra ECU. This would avoid any issues with immo and cluster - I am not planning on doing this as I will then also have to get the CP removed from the 6 speed DSG box? Otherwise, I change the ECU, cluster and BCM over and have the BCM CP removed. This sounds like it will allow me to run the engine, but probably still have the CP issue with the DSG box due to the canbus gateway.

Or

I swap from the Cupra - Canbus Gateway, ECU, Cluster, BCM, immob chip from original key, and maybe the MIB2 for ease but keep the 8" FL screen. Would this in effect change the digital VIN to the Cupra but in the ST shell? This in theory could resolve the DSG and BCM CP issues.

If I'm not completely wrong and mad with the above, I plan on keeping the FL loom intact, re-pin the DQ200 connector to the DQ250, add in the VAQ wiring and move the washer bottle pump wiring as its on the opposite chassis leg. Then a ton of coding for FL headlights, elec handbrake etc...

Can you do remote CP removal? Trying to think which option is the most sensible and happy to pay for CP removal, but don't want to go immo delete.

Sorry for the waffling!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.