And another MIB1 to MIB2 conversion - minor issue

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Hi, Just completed (almost - there's a problem!) a MIB1 to MIB2 (6.5" screen) upgrade on my 2014 Leon FR.. relatively painless until right at the end!

The method was -

Get hold of a 6.5" MIB2 Screen from salvage/scrap
Get hold of 5QA035858A Preh MIB2 head unit with 2 SD card slots etc from salvage/scrap

Swap old MIB1 unit/screen for these MIB2 - so far so good (had to scrape some small plastic keys off the old screen connector to make it slot into the back of the new screen.)
Update firmware* to 0369 (from 0359) - no problem (after finding out where to press on the screen where it had a banner saying 'component protection'!
Apply patch via SDCard to remove CP and enable Android Auto - great, all working!
Put latest maps onto an SDCARD for the inbuilt Satnav - worked fine.

BUT.. I have a 2014 Leon FR and just when I thought an easy modification victory was mine.. I've realised that the lower front speakers are now no longer outputting sound.. As these add bass the sound is a bit on the thin side.

Any ideas out there - is this a faulty MIB2 head unit or one from a lower standard car with fewer speakers at the front?! Is it a firmware setting (MIB toolbox fix?)

(Some not too exciting pictures to follow..)

*MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0369T

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperV8

redone

Nov 28, 2023
Hi, Just completed (almost - there's a problem!) a MIB1 to MIB2 (6.5" screen) upgrade on my 2014 Leon FR.. relatively painless until right at the end!

The method was -

Get hold of a 6.5" MIB2 Screen from salvage/scrap
Get hold of 5QA035858A Preh MIB2 head unit with 2 SD card slots etc from salvage/scrap

Swap old MIB1 unit/screen for these MIB2 - so far so good (had to scrape some small plastic keys off the old screen connector to make it slot into the back of the new screen.)
Update firmware* to 0369 (from 0359) - no problem (after finding out where to press on the screen where it had a banner saying 'component protection'!
Apply patch via SDCard to remove CP and enable Android Auto - great, all working!
Put latest maps onto an SDCARD for the inbuilt Satnav - worked fine.

BUT.. I have a 2014 Leon FR and just when I thought an easy modification victory was mine.. I've realised that the lower front speakers are now no longer outputting sound.. As these add bass the sound is a bit on the thin side.

Any ideas out there - is this a faulty MIB2 head unit or one from a lower standard car with fewer speakers at the front?! Is it a firmware setting (MIB toolbox fix?)

(Some not too exciting pictures to follow..)

*MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0369T
From what i’ve read it sounds like the ‘new’ unit is configured for seat sound and you need to reconfigure with vcds or similar.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Or just parameterise the unit correctly.. 😂😂. Absolutely no reason to change the wiring.

Is a wiring change going to correct for an estate dataset on a hatchback & vice versa? Or cprrect for 1.6TDI manual eco dataset on a 2.0TSI DSG?

In the wiring diagrams, front speaker setup, which the original poster asks about, does not look dependent on the body style, only rears do.
And the pin numbers on the quadlock for the front speakers are different on MIB2 than what MIB1 uses.
If datasets have the ability to reroute, for example, front left channel output from MIB2's pin 10 and 14 of 18-pin connector to pin 7 and 3 of 8-pin connector (the quadlock connector on OP's car has wires on that pins most probably), that's very good,
I didn't know that and thanks for clarifying, there was no need to laugh so hard.

redone

Nov 28, 2023
And the pin numbers on the quadlock for the front speakers are different on MIB2 than what MIB1 uses.
Think the difference in speaker out is just Seat Sound rather than MIB1/2. My sound profile did not change when I upgraded from MIB1 to MIB2 and I made no quadlock changes (except usb swap out).

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Think the difference in speaker out is just Seat Sound rather than MIB1/2. My sound profile did not change when I upgraded from MIB1 to MIB2 and I made no quadlock changes (except usb swap out).
There's a lot of wiring diagrams for different infotainment PRs, most of them are similar regarding front speaker wirings, except the most basic unit. Diagrams do not say whether they are MIB1, MIB2 or something else, I assumed that the entry level one is what OP had in his car. That's where I might have got it wrong.

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
In the wiring diagrams, front speaker setup, which the original poster asks about, does not look dependent on the body style, only rears do.
If datasets have the ability to reroute, for example, front left channel output from MIB2's pin 10 and 14 of 18-pin connector to pin 7 and 3 of 8-pin connector (the quadlock connector on OP's car has wires on that pins most probably), that's very good,
I didn't know that and thanks for clarifying, there was no need to laugh so hard.
The quad lock connector front speaker pin out changed between MIB1 & MIB2? Would explain the problem, thanks, will search for the pin outs. That might well explain why I'm not getting sound to my front door speakers.. (which do have 'Seatsound' written on)

Meanwhile I'll also search for a s/w fix if speaker outputs can be electronically switched in MIB2 (via Mibstd toolbox perhaps)

Reactions: serdar_18fr

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Definitely not entry level: it's a 2014 FR with tech pack and Seatsound!
(however without a sub as far as I'm aware and I've had it a few years so I think I'd notice!)

edit - There is a sub! I never noticed because the sub is in the boot next to the spare wheel - never looked or noticed until today!

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks - nice to know there's this option if needed.
As your old unit was for Seat Sound you will definitely have to get this done, you won't have the subwoofer adjustment in the sound settings unless the MIB2 unit was from a car with Seat Sound which I'm sure it wasn't because of the door speakers not working.

Reactions: MartinThorn

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
So I've managed to improve the sound after a few hours poking about the internet and in the car - used the Android App Car Scanner Pro (with an ODB2 wi-fi adapater I already had) to set bytes 0-3 of module 5F to my car (it was completely wrong) and set byte 4 to FF (SeatSound) - the bass is much improved :)

There's still things to work on - the subwoofer sound adjustment is still not visible and neither does the park assist screen come up when I engage reverse gear. Not sure yet if Car Scanner can update the settings for these issues too, but it seems to have an awful lot of (dangerous!) functionality for the price significantly lower than OBDeleven. Parameterisation to get ultimate performance mentioned above might still be an issue.

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
In parallel I've ordered a Wi-Fi dongle to stick in the existing re-used MIB1 USB port in the glovebox so I can have wireless Android Auto!

As your old unit was for Seat Sound you will definitely have to get this done, you won't have the subwoofer adjustment in the sound settings unless the MIB2 unit was from a car with Seat Sound which I'm sure it wasn't because of the door speakers not working.
Even then, there's variables for 3 door/5 door/ estate/ LHD/RHD

Coding alone isn't enough to sort the sound. It requires parameterisation

The park assist menu/display is however just coding

Reactions: MartinThorn