And another MIB1 to MIB2 conversion - minor issue

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Some pictures from the hardware installation (the easy bit!)..

First of all the MIB1 glove box head unit - straight/easy swap for the MIB2 unit, though have to say the cheap ebay keys were a bit rubbish (just about good enough to get it out):

IMG20240308151503.jpg

Then the new salvage screen; despite the photo it's only a bit bigger than the MIB1 screen (perspective!):
(8inch salvage screens still going for silly money so that will have to wait)

IMG20240308152018.jpg

Screen came out with just the keys again - bit fiddly due to the cheap ebay tools again, but there's no need to unscrew any bolts or remove any trim.

The only real problem with the screen hardware install is one of the MIB1 connectors at the back doesn't fit into a MIB2 screen without some hacking away of a few small plastic ridges ('keys') around the barrel - the light MIB1 connector was thus 'shaved' with a stanley knife until it looked like this:

IMG20240308153656.jpg

Then, with connections mated, the new screen and glove box unit just push back in - easy peasy.

Then I updated the firmware from 0359 to the latest available for this hardware (0369) via SDCard (I had to use 16GB formatted to FAT32 with 4kb clusters as a larger 32GB card didn't work). This took about 20 minutes:

IMG20240308161916.jpg

Then an SDCard patch on top removed component protection and enabled some (but not all) features (no green engineering menu or ODB tools required at this point):

IMG20240308163741.jpg

The patch (SE_ZR_P0369T_FEC_ALL_CID_OFF_CP_OFF_SPORT_FIXED.7z) allowed any SDCard navigation maps to work so I downloaded the latest West EU MIB2 maps and they were accepted immediately (DiscoverMedia2_EU1_2110_V18.7z). The map software is still nowhere near as user friendly as Google or Waze but at least they are almost up-to-date rather than stuck in 2015 and can be used as backup for phone network failure!

After this there's sound (CP off!) and Android Auto and we're up to the point where I was discovering the subtle problems (coding to exact car model):

IMG20240308173801.jpg

Next we're arriving at the realisation that I had to start learning about coding/parameterisation: went on to install Android's Car Scanner Pro to modify the MIB2 unit digital registers to update them to my specific model - this task is ongoing (see earlier posts). The app actually gives you 3 free code changes which might be enough for some people but not me so I paid for the app (one off payment of just less than a fiver).

I've got to say that after coming from my other car (a 2010 Alfa) that I've just put an aftermarket Android Auto head unit in, these MIB units are a pain in the backside but an interesting learning experience!

Reactions: SuperV8 and Walone

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
For anyone that needs to activate seat sound. You can diy it now apparantly to get the subwoofer option.

I installed a 02xx mib2 in 2018 one of the first on here actually, but picked up a 04xx unit from a carboot last year for £15 😂 and just getting round to swap it over, as i have factory seat sound from the mib1 i will give this a go.

Reactions: MartinThorn

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
The subwoofer control does fec all anyway very slight changes. i went through this first time when i swapped from mib1 to mib2 vcp and zdc files etc. Most change was when choosing the car type in vcds from 5 to 3 door. Obviously 9VD picked in vcds made it work 95% anyway.

Still worth a try just to see, i have one done with vcp to compare it to.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Some pictures from the hardware installation (the easy bit!)..

First of all the MIB1 glove box head unit - straight/easy swap for the MIB2 unit, though have to say the cheap ebay keys were a bit rubbish (just about good enough to get it out):

View attachment 41177

Then the new salvage screen; despite the photo it's only a bit bigger than the MIB1 screen (perspective!):
(8inch salvage screens still going for silly money so that will have to wait)

View attachment 41181

Screen came out with just the keys again - bit fiddly due to the cheap ebay tools again, but there's no need to unscrew any bolts or remove any trim.

The only real problem with the screen hardware install is one of the MIB1 connectors at the back doesn't fit into a MIB2 screen without some hacking away of a few small plastic ridges ('keys') around the barrel - the light MIB1 connector was thus 'shaved' with a stanley knife until it looked like this:

View attachment 41182

Then, with connections mated, the new screen and glove box unit just push back in - easy peasy.

Then I updated the firmware from 0359 to the latest available for this hardware (0369) via SDCard (I had to use 16GB formatted to FAT32 with 4kb clusters as a larger 32GB card didn't work). This took about 20 minutes:

View attachment 41184

Then an SDCard patch on top removed component protection and enabled some (but not all) features (no green engineering menu or ODB tools required at this point):

View attachment 41185
The patch (SE_ZR_P0369T_FEC_ALL_CID_OFF_CP_OFF_SPORT_FIXED.7z) allowed any SDCard navigation maps to work so I downloaded the latest West EU MIB2 maps and they were accepted immediately (DiscoverMedia2_EU1_2110_V18.7z). The map software is still nowhere near as user friendly as Google or Waze but at least they are almost up-to-date rather than stuck in 2015 and can be used as backup for phone network failure!

After this there's sound (CP off!) and Android Auto and we're up to the point where I was discovering the subtle problems (coding to exact car model):

View attachment 41186

Next we're arriving at the realisation that I had to start learning about coding/parameterisation: went on to install Android's Car Scanner Pro to modify the MIB2 unit digital registers to update them to my specific model - this task is ongoing (see earlier posts). The app actually gives you 3 free code changes which might be enough for some people but not me so I paid for the app (one off payment of just less than a fiver).

I've got to say that after coming from my other car (a 2010 Alfa) that I've just put an aftermarket Android Auto head unit in, these MIB units are a pain in the backside but an interesting learning experience!
You should have taken an admap with vcds with the mib1 still in this would tell you what you need to change when you put the new one it.

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
You should have taken an admap with vcds with the mib1 still in this would tell you what you need to change when you put the new one it.

Easy to say with experience/hindsight!

1) After hours of MIB researching before starting on here and elsewhere I missed the importance of adaptation/coding/parameterisation to exact model.
2) I didn't and don't have vcds anyway - legit copies/cables aren't cheap!

In any case, my next fun tasks this week are:

I) Activate gem (via car scanner)
ii) Install Mibstd toolbox via SDcard
iii) investigation of toolbox customisation/adaptation menus therein to activate the missing park pilot screen

Then I'll think about the audio parameters which the Audi forum link above is interesting for(but tbh this is quite low priority as it all sounds ok already)

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Easy to say with experience/hindsight!

1) After hours of MIB researching before starting on here and elsewhere I missed the importance of adaptation/coding/parameterisation to exact model.
2) I didn't and don't have vcds anyway - legit copies/cables aren't cheap!

In any case, my next fun tasks this week are:

I) Activate gem (via car scanner)
ii) Install Mibstd toolbox via SDcard
iii) investigation of toolbox customisation/adaptation menus therein to activate the missing park pilot screen

Then I'll think about the audio parameters which the Audi forum link above is interesting for(but tbh this is quite low priority as it all sounds ok already)
I would not have embarked on this without access to vcds. Missing park pilot is coding i did all this in 2018.

For the green menu developer mode needs to be activated then you can run the tool box. Infact doing this first you can patch the unit without having to do the cp fec all patch i found out.

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
I would not have embarked on this without access to vcds. Missing park pilot is coding i did all this in 2018.

For the green menu developer mode needs to be activated then you can run the tool box. Infact doing this first you can patch the unit without having to do the cp fec all patch i found out.

Good to know I should be able to get park pilot back - if it was possible in 2018 it will be easier now as the software tools have progressed since (though exact information of which code addresses, 5F or elsewhere, and values are still a pain to find trawling through very long forum threads).

(as for vcds, again legit copies of software and cables are expensive for a one off DIY job like this)

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Good to know I should be able to get park pilot back - if it was possible in 2018 it will be easier now as the software tools have progressed since (though exact information of which code addresses, 5F or elsewhere, and values are still a pain to find trawling through very long forum threads).

(as for vcds, again legit copies of software and cables are expensive for a one off DIY job like this)

well i don`t have the other tools but this is what i changed in vcds

fake cables work :sneaky:

looks like lines 465 468 640 641 694 695 option to me.

code.jpg

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
well i don`t have the other tools but this is what i changed in vcds

fake cables work :sneaky:

looks like lines 465 468 640 641 694 695 option to me.

View attachment 41207

Haven't had much time to 'play' this week, but I did install the GEM and MIBstd Toolbox and tried two things - changing/fiddling with the status of PDC adaptations & menu settings (Mibstd Toolbox) and checked a small proportion of the Car's coding in Parking Assist modules 10 & 76 (Car scanner) which looked ok (00 31 05 10 01) - These had no effect, so no joy yet in making the ParkPilot appear on the screen when reverse or button engaged (the dashboard button and the beeps work fine). I appreciate there's a lot more it could be.. (Gateway coding, CANBus issues etc.).

Enjoying the Android Auto and access to Google Maps, Waze, podcasts etcs. as well as the almost up-to-date inbuilt maps in the meantime!

Reactions: SuperV8

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Haven't had much time to 'play' this week, but I did install the GEM and MIBstd Toolbox and tried two things - changing/fiddling with the status of PDC adaptations & menu settings (Mibstd Toolbox) and checked a small proportion of the Car's coding in Parking Assist modules 10 & 76 (Car scanner) which looked ok (00 31 05 10 01) - These had no effect, so no joy yet in making the ParkPilot appear on the screen when reverse or button engaged (the dashboard button and the beeps work fine). I appreciate there's a lot more it could be.. (Gateway coding, CANBus issues etc.).

Enjoying the Android Auto and access to Google Maps, Waze, podcasts etcs. as well as the almost up-to-date inbuilt maps in the meantime!
i have been playing today and i have sussed out how to add fec`s and seat sound with carscanner app pro now. its dead easy.

i have copied the data sets from another mib2 that had seat sound installed and wrote it to the new unit set config to 3 door and wow its sounds better now than my first mib2 unit, no setting for the 3 or 5 door existed on the 02xx unit i had so think that was the issue.

Reactions: Walone

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
Well I probably don't have optimised SeatSound yet (I haven't yet figured out how to do that with Carscanner pro!) and I also couldn't see how to use Carscanner to do the Parkpilot adaptations needed either so I gave in and installed OBDeleven pro - was easy to sort out the missing Parkpilot* with that!

Looks a bit snazzier than the MIB1 version!

IMG20240316112524.jpg

*It was setting the BAP Gen2 adaptation parking_assist_0x0A to active that I was missing.

1710611093130.jpeg

Last edited:

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Well I probably don't have optimised SeatSound yet (I haven't yet figured out how to do that with Carscanner pro!) and I also couldn't see how to use Carscanner to do the Parkpilot adaptations needed either so I gave in and installed OBDeleven pro - was easy to sort out the missing Parkpilot with that!

Looks a bit snazzier than the MIB1 version!

View attachment 41333

View attachment 41334
I did the seat sound upgrade on my new unit worked a treat.

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
I did the seat sound upgrade on my new unit worked a treat.

Thanks to leonlad's 0x3000 & 0x3B00 config files and CarScanner Pro, the sound is improved (more bass than I can handle!) and the sub-woofer menu appeared!

Bass fixed.jpg

Next challenge is making Android Auto wireless.. the small bluetooth adapter from Aliexpress nearly works, but sends the phone/stereo into an infinite loop of trying to connect to Android Auto. Then it similarly breaks the USB wired Android Auto unless I reboot the car stereo (long press on power button). Not sure what the problem is yet - could be the relatively old Seat hardware (original USB interface being used for example so lucky I'm not an Apple guy!) or the chinese Android Auto wireless adapter..

MartinThorn

Feb 28, 2024
This VAG map revision gets MIB2 retrofit mods like mine completely up to date without any modification to the map files required: the SDCard FeC patch means I can just copy the new map files onto the existing memory card over-writing the old maps (after backup just in case).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.