Concerned with very high boost

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
So I treated myself to a Autoguage boost guage from Halfords and a second-hand Nomad pillar-pod from a member on the forum for my Mk1 Leon FR+ TDi. Excitedly, I got busy tapping into the intercooler pipe, running the pipework through to the cabin and wiring it up (thank God for this forum!).

Then excitedly jumped in and went for a test drive. Guage is buzzing like crazy but I've realised I need to plumb in the T-piece that comes with the gauge as it has a restrictive opening. This will hopefull filter out the buzzing, Will need to block of one end of the T-piece - hoping that filling it with araldite will do it.

My main concern is as I was driving along accelerating hard now and then to see what boost the car was peaking and holding, I was consistently peaking at over 30 PSI and holding 23-24P SI. Surely that can't be right. I hope there isn't a problem. At one point It peaked at about 35 PSI (although I imagine the accuracy of that is in doubt as the scale only goes to 30).

The car has a Custom-Code Stage 1 remap and when the mechanic that loaded the map about 18 months ago did comment at the time that he'd never seen anything "jump" that much in power on a stage 1. The car was completely OEM before the remap.

Any comments or advise would be very appreciated.

PS it's very cool the way the boost steps up and down as you need it. The VNT mechanism really get's you the boost you need.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
thats terrible mate, stage one should be max peak of 24psi, i would take it back and get them to re flash it, or atleast go out, data log the boost req/actual to see if your gauge is in accurate, i would not be booting it though as it could be very bad for the engine at those figures

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Yeah i'd agree. 24 psi is 1.6bar which is max on a standard turbo on a 150 i'd say.

Pretty sure standard is about 1.3 - 1.4 on a PD130, not sure on the 150 though.

I was running 1.6-1.8 on the hybrid and over 200bhp.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I bet its the guage mate. I had exactly the same guage and my stage 1 was going off the scale too.

Got a electronic boost guage now and it holds at 24psi. :)

As someone else has said, do a boost log on VAG-COM and see the real boost figures.

CrossyR

Hi, Im Ron Burgundy
Sep 13, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have the same Gauge and my spikes to about 28-30psi (but it has went further) then settles to 23psi. Im guessing its the gauge TBH and 2 of my mates have maps and the same gauge and we are all reading similar boost..

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
I bet its the guage mate. I had exactly the same guage and my stage 1 was going off the scale too.

Got a electronic boost guage now and it holds at 24psi. :)

As someone else has said, do a boost log on VAG-COM and see the real boost figures.

If it's the gauge then that's a relief. Going to see if I can check the gauge somehow against something more accurate.

Jake -as you were saying I would have expected the car to go into limp mode if the boost requested didn't match the boost delivered but it's never gone into limp mode and no codes have been thrown up.

So I guess the end result I guess is you get what you pay for.

Chris just blitzed though your build thread to check out your boost gauge and I see you've had the same problem (lovely vehicle by the way). How much was the Prosport boost gauge (if that's not to cheeky). Shame it isn't in white but looks very nice.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
So I treated myself to a Autoguage boost guage from Halfords and a second-hand Nomad pillar-pod from a member on the forum for my Mk1 Leon FR+ TDi. Excitedly, I got busy tapping into the intercooler pipe, running the pipework through to the cabin and wiring it up (thank God for this forum!).

Then excitedly jumped in and went for a test drive. Guage is buzzing like crazy but I've realised I need to plumb in the T-piece that comes with the gauge as it has a restrictive opening. This will hopefull filter out the buzzing, Will need to block of one end of the T-piece - hoping that filling it with araldite will do it.

My main concern is as I was driving along accelerating hard now and then to see what boost the car was peaking and holding, I was consistently peaking at over 30 PSI and holding 23-24P SI. Surely that can't be right. I hope there isn't a problem. At one point It peaked at about 35 PSI (although I imagine the accuracy of that is in doubt as the scale only goes to 30).

Any comments or advise would be very appreciated.

PS it's very cool the way the boost steps up and down as you need it. The VNT mechanism really get's you the boost you need.
With pnuematic gauges you have to "damp the pressure line" this gets rid of transent spike pressure [this involves putting a clamp across the pressure pipe and squezzing the line till pressur eis dampened down - was common on old REDEX Vacuum gauges which came c/w this damper clamp]

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.