Condensation in car..

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
..got to the point where its just becomimg stupid now, so this afters , Ive been out to investigate .. well, considering my car is/was a Cat 'C' at one point (for those that dont know, follow the link under my siggy ;) ) the most obvious place to aim for when looking for water/moisture ingress was the boot.
main carpets dry..side carpets dry.. lifted up floor carpet.. obvious signs of water, as the 14" space saver has damp on it (why do they put a 14" wheel in there when the GTi's come with 15's as standard? anyway, Im waffling..) took out carpet, lifted out wheel/brace et al, and lo - and - behold , Ive a pond in the wheel well.

So, grabbed a large sponge , (did think about the shotgun technique as used on Top Gear, but.. ) managed to mop up most of the water, the rest I got up with a couple of old towels.. took all the crappy stuff thats in the boot and its now stowed in the cubby under the stairs for a day or two, the capet is /was soaked on the underside (the thick felt bit) so its been given a beating, and is now lying up against the heating on a couple of bin bags.
stinks like wet dog, so the house will need a fumigating when its done (luckily the wifes out ) and due to the heating being on, im sat here sweating conkers.

Hopefuly, thet will remove the moisture source for now, but its something Im obviously going to have to keep an eye on, and Im even thinking about getting some draught excluder/insulation from the local DIY shed to stick inside the bootlid so it makes better contact with the doorseal/rubber thats already in there..

*oh, and I did find my other numberplate surround and various other bits and bobs I'd forgotten about in my boot too :rolleyes:

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
why dont you just get a new seal?? or doesnt the boot lid sit flush when its shut? if you got a pond in the wheel well then summut aint right??

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
seems to have done the trick.. been out for a spin (well up to tesco to get some beers in for chrimbo, at £20 for 3 cases its rude not to ;) ) and no condensation, no steamy windows, been home for a while , just looked out the lounge window and its not steamed up at all
so, fingers crossed. .. carpets pretty much dried now too so that can go beck in over the next day or so/when I can be ar$£d.
:D

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
trouble is with mine Sam , is I only use it every so often and it just sits for weeks sometimes, and with the boot not meeting the bodywork 100% all the way round, allows water in somewhere.. then once warm bodies get in there, it really steams easily.. hopefully with me now removing the pond in the wheel well and drying the carpet out, that should alleviate it.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
My car is suffering from too much wet kayaking kit being dumped in it at the moment too. Might invest in one of those small dehumidifier things like they use in caravans. The damp really annoys me.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.