Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
Ok Ive got condensation on one of the headlights :(
Ive heard that you can get rid of it using them silica gel pouches

However, is there another option ?

And if i were to take off the headlight casing, can you do this by just popping the bonnet and undoing the "star" screws ?

Or do you have to remove bumper etc..

Thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
bumpers have to come off

silica gel packs loose 90% of their effectiveness after 30 mins - we never had moisture in either of our Mk3's, so it'd suggest a leaky lamp unit.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
I had this not too long ago when fitted my HID's (which are now off). The seal wasn't that great, so take the back cover off and let it dry out, the weather at the moment is pretty good which will help.

Check the seals and that the cover is fixed properly which is the first thing, it didn't take much of a gap to steam them up on mine.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
To be honest, if you took the grommit out and just left the hole in the back plate, it would air itself out and not condensate anymore, that's how mine are now and they've not misted up since. I'm waiting for a hot spell before I replace the back plates with new ones.

Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
Well i took the grommet out earlier
Left a hairdryer blowing into the socket area for 10 - 15 mins.
Cleaned it all up perfectly

Whatever works ey :)

Also have taped the grommet down lol
Hopefully it wont come back now fingers crossed.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Well i took the grommet out earlier
Left a hairdryer blowing into the socket area for 10 - 15 mins.
Cleaned it all up perfectly

Whatever works ey :)

Also have taped the grommet down lol
Hopefully it wont come back now fingers crossed.

How will that have worked? all you've done is warm the moisture up... it's still in there somewhere probably.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
yup, seal them up properly.

if they're still 'open' somewhere they will mist up again.

Not so with mine, originally I did think this would happen, but all through winter I've had teh HID's removed, and the cut out for the grommit in the back of them. They've never misted up once, which I found surprising. If there are small gaps, then the seal absorbs water like a sponge, and is a culprit.

Like I said, because there is still moisture about, they'll not be dry enough until we have a (hopefully) summer spell here, then they can be sealed properly again. I've got a few silicone sache's to use, but I didn't know they only worked for a short period of time. I assume any I have are useless now, so not worth sticking in? Completely useless?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.