Conquering Cupra & Golf GTI with 1.4TSI

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Hi guys, I'm new here and I come from Slovenia. I have a Seat Leon 5f with 1.4TSI engine. Im building my coffee grinder engine to conquer Cupra and Golf GTI. I was wondering if any of you guys know where could I get intercooler and other parts for it. Currently I'm running it stock because I'm still looking for parts and don't really know what I can get. I meant to put on cold air induction kit, hybrid turbo (not sure which one yet so I beg for recommendations), intercooler kit, intake & exhaust manifolds (if possible) and milltek exhaust system. From outside I'm trying to keep it as stock look as i can - fitting only front bumper lip, smaller spoiler and rear bumper to fit exhaust. Basically kind of making a sleeper. I really appreciate any help so thank you in forward!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Forget it mate. You’ll probably get around 170 BHP tops, maybe a little more. You need a bigger capacity engine to get big power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Pig

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Forget it mate. You’ll probably get around 170 BHP tops, maybe a little more. You need a bigger capacity engine to get big power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why I'm taking this very seriously. Im going to try to get max out of that 1.4L engine. And people have done it before me so I'm positive i can go way over 200. I'm guessing you're a cupra owner? All jokes no hard feelings m8!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Why? I mean why not just buy a car with a bigger engine to start with?

Reactions: xyz

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
The company R-TMG have developed a package that pushes this engine to around 240BHP, and are currently working on a 260BHP package. They sell everything you need to make this happen including the conversion to a air-cooled intercooler, turbo upgrade, induction kit etc...

They also do the mapping for the ECU. It will not be cheap, and as said you'd be better off just getting a bigger engine to start with. However, if you want to check them out their website is https://www.r-tmg.com/

Reactions: KilJaeden98 and xyz

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It's probably easier and cheaper to buy a Cupra, fit an FR bodykit and badges.

And better. The molested FR still won't have Cupra suspension or anything else. You'll be putting big power through a gearbox that wasn't designed to take it, probably will have the wrong ratios and is held to the road by less capable suspension system. I just can't figure out how this makes sense in your head?

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
The company R-TMG have developed a package that pushes this engine to around 240BHP, and are currently working on a 260BHP package. They sell everything you need to make this happen including the conversion to a air-cooled intercooler, turbo upgrade, induction kit etc...

They also do the mapping for the ECU. It will not be cheap, and as said you'd be better off just getting a bigger engine to start with. However, if you want to check them out their website is https://www.r-tmg.com/

I have seen the R-TMG just earlier this day and im probably going for that one too. But for now I will still be on a lookout for other options. Thank you very much!

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Obviously depends on how much money you have to throw at it but your'e probably looking at ~250HP tops.

It's probably easier and cheaper to buy a Cupra, fit an FR bodykit and badges.

250HP sounds enough for me. I know its cheaper that way but as I said before, thats not my style. Thank you very much!

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
And better. The molested FR still won't have Cupra suspension or anything else. You'll be putting big power through a gearbox that wasn't designed to take it, probably will have the wrong ratios and is held to the road by less capable suspension system. I just can't figure out how this makes sense in your head?

Im not worried for suspension here. And if the suspension is going to be a problem, I'll fix that too. Absolutely fitting performance brake system if it makes over 200HP. I am honesty more worried about the gearbox regardless the stock can keep up with what I'm intending to do. The point of my experiment is how much HP can this 1.4L puncher really make. I'll probably change the gearbox later too. Thank you very much for your advice! I appreciate every single reply from you!

Reactions: Mr Pig

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Each to their own, if you would like to get big power from a 1.4TSI, you would have to put a lot of effort, time, patience (and funds) into it.

Me personally, if I have the funds to modify a car so much that it would cost more than a Cupra in the first place, I would just get a Cupra (and remap it), and I'm sure this is the consensus of everyone here, the package is already 'ready made'...would be so much easier!

However, I believe you might be the type who like to do a big project...like to be rewarded for hard work well done and a sense of acomplishment, and the type who like to do things because they are hard and not because they are easy (would be just easier to get a Cupra), do not let other discourage you, but just be aware that you would need to change A LOT, and if you change some components and not others, things may go 'kaboom!' literally!

Can it be done, if an Ibiza with a 1.4TSI (non Cupra different generation) can do it, yes...it's lot of work though, you would probably have to change a lot to get an have a look here (to get you an idea/started): https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/seat-ibiza-fr-1-4-tsi-stage-3-469bhp-560nm.425929/

Reactions: xyz

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Think I'm missing something here....I know you want to build things yourself, but why not build from a bigger engine to give better results??? When you buy the car new, you get engine options as to what power/output you want, so why start from just a 1.4TSI? Start from a 1.8 or 2.0 that will no doubt have a more capable gearbox and suspension ready there instead of throwing thousands at the car upgrading what is still only going to be a small engine, and one that isn't designed to take that sort of power as well

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
The VW Polo GTI dropped the 1.4 pretty quickly because of reliability issues. The 6c ran a 1.8 and now they use a 2.0. You probably could get 200bhp but it's going to cost a lot and you might ruin the gearbox in the process. I wish you the best of luck!

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I don't think 200-210bhp would be that difficult to achieve. Going to 220 and above is when it becomes expensive. With a good map on a car in good condition (not much wear/mileage) on 99ron fuel 190bhp can be achieved with no upgrades at all. To go above this you would need to decat and add a performance exhaust or sports cat if emissions for the MOT are a problem. That alone could possibly get you to 200-210bhp. An uprated induction kit would be recommended as well but I have seen plenty of examples on other cars where aftermarket kits from reputable brands actually make next to no difference over stock. I would think if it wasn't done straight away an uprated clutch would be needed above 200 fairly soon after achieving this as you will probably find it slipping after a few thousand miles.
After that is when it gets really expensive, uprated/hybrid turbo and intercooler would be needed, maybe new cams, metal piping/hoses and uprated injectors. That's just to get the power. Then putting it down becomes the next issue. I'd have thought you would need to poly bush all round and definitely do something with the suspension and grippy tyres like PS4 or Goodyear assy 5. Stopping the car is obviously a good idea as previously mentioned but we are mainly after achieving power at this stage.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
So basically you want a sleeper.

It will be better and probably cheaper to do it the other way around and buy a Cupra and get the bodykit and external parts off a lesser Leon.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Even if you got anywhere near on power a cupra would blow you off the road in handling. I really dont think you appreciate how much better they are in the corners.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.