Conquering Cupra & Golf GTI with 1.4TSI

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
So basically you want a sleeper.

It will be better and probably cheaper to do it the other way around and buy a Cupra and get the bodykit and external parts off a lesser Leon.
The mk3 and 3.5 is already quite a sleeper, they arent garish and obvious like a Type R.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Stage 1 a Cupra and get 360-370 bhp for £500 plus all the benefits of the limited slip diff, independent rear suspension, wet clutch DSG etc.
Then make it a sleeper which isn't hard as it already looks like the FR. Probably a lot cheeper and way better results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0

mcspook

Feb 11, 2020
It wont be stupid fast for the money spent. Take a gti for a test drive, it's not as fast as you may think. if you want, you can swap engines with a cupra and tune it, stick a tsi badge at the rear and put iron wheels and wheel caps with some GOOD STICKY tires!!!!. You will also need to change the front springs and voila! If it's only to transform your car into a cupra, then buy the cheapest cupra you find, dont really care about reliability if your other option is to make 270-280 on a 1.4.

Edit: 250hp wont be enough to keep pace with a gti.

Last edited:

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Also a stage 1 GTI is around 300 hp and it would be incredibly expensive to reliably tune a 1.4 to those figures if it's even possible. Let alone all the other modifications required needed to keep up with the power.

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Each to their own, if you would like to get big power from a 1.4TSI, you would have to put a lot of effort, time, patience (and funds) into it.

Me personally, if I have the funds to modify a car so much that it would cost more than a Cupra in the first place, I would just get a Cupra (and remap it), and I'm sure this is the consensus of everyone here, the package is already 'ready made'...would be so much easier!

However, I believe you might be the type who like to do a big project...like to be rewarded for hard work well done and a sense of acomplishment, and the type who like to do things because they are hard and not because they are easy (would be just easier to get a Cupra), do not let other discourage you, but just be aware that you would need to change A LOT, and if you change some components and not others, things may go 'kaboom!' literally!

Can it be done, if an Ibiza with a 1.4TSI (non Cupra different generation) can do it, yes...it's lot of work though, you would probably have to change a lot to get an have a look here (to get you an idea/started): https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/seat-ibiza-fr-1-4-tsi-stage-3-469bhp-560nm.425929/

I sure am willing to do that. And as I've said, im going to squeeze as much as I can out of it. If my financial status can keep up with it haha. Im saving as much money as I can to get the R-TMG kit for 240HP so then when its fitted I can get papers, insurance and homologation in order. Also getting custom license plates with GO 2SLEEP or something like that on it.

The link you pasted has also helped me, so thank you for that too! I only find it a bit weird that he has kept all other things stock (transmission, clutch, pistons, suspension, etc.) The clutch will eventually slip or it might as well shoot a piston trough hood one day... I really think I have no need (yet) to go over 300HP with it.

Thank you for everything guys! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Mr Pig

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Think I'm missing something here....I know you want to build things yourself, but why not build from a bigger engine to give better results??? When you buy the car new, you get engine options as to what power/output you want, so why start from just a 1.4TSI? Start from a 1.8 or 2.0 that will no doubt have a more capable gearbox and suspension ready there instead of throwing thousands at the car upgrading what is still only going to be a small engine, and one that isn't designed to take that sort of power as well

As I've said before, I'm trying to make a sleeper here. And also, I bought the car 3 years old with 40k kilometers on it. I'd rather throw thousands on it and make it as I personally like, rather than buying a better car. I'm one of those guys who would rather buy a shitbox and make it a supercar than buy a supercar in the first place. You also learn A LOT from it. And you can ALWAYS make it better.
But if you are not a car guy, then you will never know the feeling, when you park your ride at the shop, get out of the car, walk away from it and look back at it and say to yourself: "damn, I've build something unique, something that NOBODY on this planet has". There is NO better feeling than that, trust me. It doesn't matter if it has 150HP or 1000HP. Its something that YOU BUILT. Remember that.

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
The VW Polo GTI dropped the 1.4 pretty quickly because of reliability issues. The 6c ran a 1.8 and now they use a 2.0. You probably could get 200bhp but it's going to cost a lot and you might ruin the gearbox in the process. I wish you the best of luck!

I have a very good mechanic for a friend and he tells me a lot of things he has seen in the cars over the years and I guarantee you that you'd be impressed what stock parts can hold. Stock transmission in my leon can hold 300HP. Anything over that could end badly indeed. I appreciate your reply!

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
I don't think 200-210bhp would be that difficult to achieve. Going to 220 and above is when it becomes expensive. With a good map on a car in good condition (not much wear/mileage) on 99ron fuel 190bhp can be achieved with no upgrades at all. To go above this you would need to decat and add a performance exhaust or sports cat if emissions for the MOT are a problem. That alone could possibly get you to 200-210bhp. An uprated induction kit would be recommended as well but I have seen plenty of examples on other cars where aftermarket kits from reputable brands actually make next to no difference over stock. I would think if it wasn't done straight away an uprated clutch would be needed above 200 fairly soon after achieving this as you will probably find it slipping after a few thousand miles.
After that is when it gets really expensive, uprated/hybrid turbo and intercooler would be needed, maybe new cams, metal piping/hoses and uprated injectors. That's just to get the power. Then putting it down becomes the next issue. I'd have thought you would need to poly bush all round and definitely do something with the suspension and grippy tyres like PS4 or Goodyear assy 5. Stopping the car is obviously a good idea as previously mentioned but we are mainly after achieving power at this stage.

I completely agree with everything you wrote here. But for now I'm probably just getting the
R-TMG 240HP kit so I dont have to change "much". I also already have brand new Goodyear asymmetrics 5 ready to mount. After I get enough money to fix if anything goes wrong I'm definately going for 300HP. But we'll be talking about this cca. two years later hehe.
Im very thankful for your reply!

Last edited:

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
It wont be stupid fast for the money spent. Take a gti for a test drive, it's not as fast as you may think. if you want, you can swap engines with a cupra and tune it, stick a tsi badge at the rear and put iron wheels and wheel caps with some GOOD STICKY tires!!!!. You will also need to change the front springs and voila! If it's only to transform your car into a cupra, then buy the cheapest cupra you find, dont really care about reliability if your other option is to make 270-280 on a 1.4.

Edit: 250hp wont be enough to keep pace with a gti.

I know it wont be crazy fast, I dont need it to be. I just need it fast enough to put those cocky cupra and gti owners into shame with my 1.4L coffee grinder.

Edit: I can keep pace with my 1.4L 150HP against 2.0L 200HP Toyota GT86 but only because mine is turbo charged and other one is naturaly aspirated.

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Also a stage 1 GTI is around 300 hp and it would be incredibly expensive to reliably tune a 1.4 to those figures if it's even possible. Let alone all the other modifications required needed to keep up with the power.

I sure do realise all the things that I need to pay attention to. I'll keep you posted how it will go.

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
Even if you got anywhere near on power a cupra would blow you off the road in handling. I really dont think you appreciate how much better they are in the corners.

I'm currently a lot more worried about putting all that power on the road. Handling can be improved later as I'm first getting suspension and brake system and fitting them both at the same time so its better to see and feel progress on the car. I'll try to get as much things on it at the same time so I don't have to use all homologation slots for each and every single thing I change on my car. Kind of makes sense, don't you think?

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
I'm also sorry for not replying faster, I was cut of web becuse I was on vacations. And as I've said before, I really appreciate every single reply. I'd honestly buy you guys each a beer for a helpful advice you gave me! Stay safe.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
You're wasting your money. I mean SERIOUSLY wasting your money.

If you want a sleeper Mk3 then get a cupra and de-cupra the outside of it. Give it standard badges and non-cupra wheels. As said already the styling of the Mk3 / 3.5 cupra really isn't that aggressive at all.

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
You're wasting your money. I mean SERIOUSLY wasting your money.

If you want a sleeper Mk3 then get a cupra and de-cupra the outside of it. Give it standard badges and non-cupra wheels. As said already the styling of the Mk3 / 3.5 cupra really isn't that aggressive at all.

You see, thats what I've been talking about. Ok let me put it this way. The people who put 2JZ, LS and RB's in shitboxes are wasting their money? Or should i say, wasting their engines?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
You see, thats what I've been talking about. Ok let me put it this way. The people who put 2JZ, LS and RB's in shitboxes are wasting their money? Or should i say, wasting their engines?

No it's not what you're talking about. It's the opposite of what you're talking about.

Putting a high power engine into a shed is one thing. That IS NOT what you're talking about.

You're talking about spending a stupid amount of money to tune an engine that was never meant for high power when there are already much more powerful engines with much more tuning potential installed in the same sorts of cars.

You could spend €15k tuning your 1.4 but you'll still get beaten in every situation by someone who spent €500 on a remap for their cupra

Reactions: Mr Pig

KilJaeden98

Jul 7, 2020
Slovenia
No it's not what you're talking about. It's the opposite of what you're talking about.

Putting a high power engine into a shed is one thing. That IS NOT what you're talking about.

You're talking about spending a stupid amount of money to tune an engine that was never meant for high power when there are already much more powerful engines with much more tuning potential installed in the same sorts of cars.

You could spend €15k tuning your 1.4 but you'll still get beaten in every situation by someone who spent €500 on a remap for their cupra

Yeah maybe I've missed the context... But still. The title of this thread is Conquering Cupra and GOLF GTI with 1.4L so if I'm able to keep pace with stock cupra and gti, then all my work has paid off.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The title of this thread is Conquering Cupra and GOLF GTI with 1.4L so if I'm able to keep pace with stock cupra and gti, then all my work has paid off.

You didn't mention a GTi did you? A Cupra and a GTi are not the same thing. A GTi only has 30bhp more than the fastest 1.4 tsi but even then it still has bigger brakes and independent rear suspension.

And I see you've got for 'conquering' to 'keeping pace'? ;0) You're not going to keep up with a Cupra never mind conquering it. If you want a sleeper, why not at least start with the 180hp FR? It looks identical to the 1.4 but you've got a bigger engine and the independent rear end. Or why not start with a 135hp 20L SE, maybe even an estate? If you're going to change the suspension anyway and you've got the bigger engine and it's more of a sleeper?