Controls for heating don't light up

Dec 21, 2020
Are the heating touch controls under the screen meant to illuminate? Mine don't light up so they're useless at night!

Is there a setting for them?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Unfortunately they don't light up, mine don't either.
What I've done is use the screen at night, or I've learnt which icon at the bottom of the screen is above each slider and use that.

You can also swipe the temperature at the top of the screen and it increases or decreases it by 0.5 depending which way you swipe

Reactions: Alistair Swanson
Dec 21, 2020
Ah that's interesting, makes me wonder who on earth designed them as they're useless at night!

Thanks for the tip on the temp at the top of the screen.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
I do agree I really thought it wouldn't of been hard to put a led behind them.

From what I've seen the golf doesn't have them light up either but I could be wrong.

Deleted member 123864

How often do you adjust the heating anyway? Surely with climate control you just set the temp once and never touch it again until the summer when you turn it down.

Dec 21, 2020
That's a bit like Apple telling people they're holding the iPhone wrong back in the day - there's a reason heating controls in cars have been illuminated for years...

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT do need to sack the UX designers this time around. Equally annoying is the electric seat adjustment buttons in the wife's Ateca aren't lit either so swapping seats in the dark and trying to find the number for your profile is frustrating.

Tell

Staff member
SEAT do need to sack the UX designers this time around. Equally annoying is the electric seat adjustment buttons in the wife's Ateca aren't lit either so swapping seats in the dark and trying to find the number for your profile is frustrating.

Little torch ;).

Do any of those features get thru to the VW brand or just left off all of the VAG models that use essentially the same parts. Muse that as to whether anything can be turned on but with VCDS coding locked down now probably not.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Do any of those features get thru to the VW brand or just left off all of the VAG models that use essentially the same parts. Muse that as to whether anything can be turned on but with VCDS coding locked down now probably not.

I think I recall reading a review of the latest Golf which mentioned that the same controls were not illuminated there either. It makes you ask whether the designers actually drive in the real world.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I think I recall reading a review of the latest Golf which mentioned that the same controls were not illuminated there either. It makes you ask whether the designers actually drive in the real world.

Correct; heating / ventilation controls aren’t illuminated in the mk8 Golf.

If the designers of the interior of the latest Leon / Golf are drivers, then there’s a good chance they’d have retained some conventional controls for functions such as heating and ventilation. Maybe they did, but perhaps the VAG bean counters in the Ivory tower wouldn’t sign off the use of conventional controls because touch screens / touch panels without illumination are cheaper.

The last car I owned that didn’t have illuminated heating and ventilation controls was back in the early 1980’s.

Reactions: Tell

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Fear not: an official accessory will be launched early 2021 to solve the problem of non-illuminated controls:
headlight.jpg

Tell

Staff member
Still cold ?.

Suspect Seat still run the apps development themselves (why there aren't any), long thought that the VAG group should take charge and not leave it to the marquees. It would only be if each marquee had custom firmware that you could centralise functions. Probably the issue that they allow each to have its own infotainment firmware. Standardise the firmware, the apps and everything else then you get economies of scales and a better product :flag:.

They probably have a shared software toolkit for the infotainment hardware but then each does their own thing in how they put it together into the firmware. I'd do away with all of that and have one centrally developed product since the rest uses standard Vag parts. Management probably likes to toy with the software in each brand rather than pool it and the staff.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
How often do you adjust the heating anyway? Surely with climate control you just set the temp once and never touch it again until the summer when you turn it down.

We are all different, you'd be amazed how oftern I slightly adjust the heater in colder months.

The last car I owned that didn’t have illuminated heating and ventilation controls was back in the early 1980’s.

I remember that in a Transit, but did get used to the manual controls and after a while could use the dials/controls without even looking down..

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
We are all different, you'd be amazed how oftern I slightly adjust the heater in colder months.
Me too. I make small adjustments on most journeys - especially at this time of year.

I remember that in a Transit, but did get used to the manual controls and after a while could use the dials/controls without even looking down..
IMO it’s much easier to do that by touch when you’ve got conventional physical controls though than it is with touch / slider panels like the ones in the latest Leon / Golf.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah i adjust mine all the time
Start journey on HI
Knock back to 20 degree’s
too cold stick to 22 degree’s
Too hot back to 20

and so on

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise