Controls for heating don't light up

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I can’t have it set on an odd number. It’s not right.
Ha, ha - I know exactly what you mean. In my previous car, the cabin temperature could be adjusted in increments of 0.5 degrees. I always had to have it set on a temperature that was a whole number; e.g. 20.0 and not 20.5 :LOL:. I’m also OCD about the symbol on the on/off button on the infotainment unit; it has to be the correct way up!

DavidSTryk

Nov 4, 2020
Has anyone tried removing the infotainment ? Wondering if it would be possible to install a tiny LED on the backside of the ac controls, to get some light in them?

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
You would need to be really good with a soldering iron, that's if the plastic around them even lets light through

Reactions: SRGTD

Tell

Staff member
You probably want to look at Erwin, buy yourself 7 euros of time and see whether they have published the workshop manuals yet. Web page here in hint for login in:

I know some people publish the ripped off ones but doubt whether that has been done yet. Like the good old days of the Hayes manuals. Get it down to a fine art and within the hour download all the PDFs, build codes and dealer training manuals (SSPs). Last time I looked a couple months ago there were not any specific Leon4 SSPs.

Reactions: DavidSTryk

DavidSTryk

Nov 4, 2020
You probably want to look at Erwin, buy yourself 7 euros of time and see whether they have published the workshop manuals yet. Web page here in hint for login in:

I know some people publish the ripped off ones but doubt whether that has been done yet. Like the good old days of the Hayes manuals. Get it down to a fine art and within the hour download all the PDFs, build codes and dealer training manuals (SSPs). Last time I looked a couple months ago there were not any specific Leon4 SSPs.
Had a look yesterday ... no workshop manuals did the MK4 yet

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Ah. The build codes are there when I had a look a few months back to decipher what UK cars were getting verses those abroad using the Vin. Seeing how much choice had been lobbed off for the UK market. Zn2 is the RR infotainment system which I reckon isn't offered on any UK FL models including the Ateca Cupra FL. That gets the same bog standard Zn1 unit.

DavidSTryk

Nov 4, 2020
Ah. The build codes are there when I had a look a few months back to decipher what UK cars were getting verses those abroad using the Vin. Seeing how much choice had been lobbed off for the UK market. Zn2 is the RR infotainment system which I reckon isn't offered on any UK FL models including the Ateca Cupra FL. That gets the same bog standard Zn1 unit.
Honestly didn’t check for build codes .. I just looked at some of the self-study sheets and checked for workshop manuals.
build codes doesn’t help me out in this matter..

I might have a go at trying to dismantle the damn thing anyway.. seems there are so many things with this car where they deliberately cut corners to keep costs down..

I’m on the plug-in hybrid version and I’m starting to go mad about the software changes from the standard version... so many small things that are annoying on a daily basis - like e.g the ambient lighting turns off each and every single time car is turned off, so I have to go into the ambient lighting menu and turn up the brightness for each individual part of the ambient lighting to get the thing working .. and I just have the standard ambient lighting - not the wraparound version...
Primary user is still not working either and I am not able to search for any software updates in the settings ...

Shite software !

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You would need to be really good with a soldering iron, that's if the plastic around them even lets light through
Yes, whether or not the small red / blue sections for hearing and white symbols for radio volume on this panel will let light through is the key. If they would, then I’d have thought that Seat would have fitted LED’s behind the panel and cars would’ve come from the factory with this panel backlit.

The very similar / same panel used in other VAG models (new Golf, all-electric ID3) doesn‘t have backlighting. I think VAG are expecting owners to rely on voice control or just fumble in the dark.

DavidSTryk

Nov 4, 2020
Yes, whether or not the small red / blue sections for hearing and white symbols for radio volume on this panel will let light through is the key. If they would, then I’d have thought that Seat would have fitted LED’s behind the panel and cars would’ve come from the factory with this panel backlit.

The very similar / same panel used in other VAG models (new Golf, all-electric ID3) doesn‘t have backlighting. I think VAG are expecting owners to rely on voice control or just fumble in the dark.
Well since they are touch sensitive light will need to be able to pass through ... otherwise the touch functionality wouldn’t work.

but no way of knowing unless it’a tested

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
You can make touch sensitive stuff without being able to let light through. They typically use capacitance not optical methods.

dan555

Sep 29, 2020
Theres a bar above the touch sensitive area with IR LEDs which is used for the swipe gesture and detecting if your about to touch
IMG_20210103_012634.jpg

But I think the touch bars are capacitive.

nb67

Jun 6, 2021
I was just typing this thread question and saw this suggested thread.

Beyond me when driving at night you have zero visibility of these controls.

Taking your eyes off the road to mess about with controls in darkness is crazy in truth.

Love the car but these tech/infotainment bugs drive me up the wall at times.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
The other annoying part is they have replaced the rear heater control (buttons) with a captive control, and it IS illuminated. Why they didn’t modify the front is beyond me.

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
All the new Skodas and the new Polo has buttons/knobs and illumination for climate control, someone at VAG must have been taking notice. I guess they just have to use up stock of the old instrument panel first before the next facelift. Buttons/knobs will be back for sure, possibly for 2023.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
All the new Skodas and the new Polo has buttons/knobs and illumination for climate control, someone at VAG must have been taking notice. I guess they just have to use up stock of the old instrument panel first before the next facelift. Buttons/knobs will be back for sure, possibly for 2023.
On the recently announced face lifted Polo, of the current model line-up only the entry level ‘Life’ model has retained conventional knobs for heating and ventilation - other models get a fancy touch panel that’s devoid of conventional controls. It’s quite low down too - below the two central air vents - which adds to the difficulty of adjusting the controls while driving;

B34A438A-8DE4-41D7-9635-5AF5954487CE.jpeg

Full spec details of facelift Polo GTI aren’t available yet, so whether that model has the more simple old style heating and ventilation controls of a touch panel is anyone’s guess.

I'm not sure VAG will revert back to conventional interior controls - within a large vehicle manufacturing group such as VAG, cost of manufacture and profit are key factors and if their accountants have decided it’s more cost effective and there’s more profit to be earned from using to cheap to manufacture touch panels rather than more expensive to manufacture conventional controls with moving parts, then IMO the car interior without buttons and knobs is probably here to stay.

For the record, I’m not a fan of touch panels and much prefer conventional controls for ease of use while on the move and from a safety perspective.

Deleted member 123864

On the recently announced face lifted Polo, of the current model line-up only the entry level ‘Life’ model has retained conventional knobs for heating and ventilation - other models get a fancy touch panel that’s devoid of conventional controls. It’s quite low down too - below the two central air vents - which adds to the difficulty of adjusting the controls while driving;

View attachment 27189

Full spec details of facelift Polo GTI aren’t available yet, so whether that model has the more simple old style heating and ventilation controls of a touch panel is anyone’s guess.

I'm not sure VAG will revert back to conventional interior controls - within a large vehicle manufacturing group such as VAG, cost of manufacture and profit are key factors and if their accountants have decided it’s more cost effective and there’s more profit to be earned from using to cheap to manufacture touch panels rather than more expensive to manufacture conventional controls with moving parts, then IMO the car interior without buttons and knobs is probably here to stay.

For the record, I’m not a fan of touch panels and much prefer conventional controls for ease of use while on the move and from a safety perspective.
I'd you genuinely think touch panels are cheaper to manufacture than knobs and knockers I'd like to sell you some snake oil

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.