Cordoba 2.0 SX oil leak

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Been a while since I needed advice on here, but you guys always help!
My Cordoba 1999 2.0 SX has developed an oil leak. I have had a look and wiped clean to see where it seems to reappear. It seems to be coming from the oil sump (I assume it is, the lowest hanging point under the engine/bay. Maybe the gasket?! If anyone has any knowledge Id appreciate it. Would it be an expensive job to sort? Could I have prevented it? Anyway, hope you can help me! Cheers

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Changing the sump gasket is easy. Did mine ( twice ) not that long ago. AndyJ helped the first time. Didn't help my oil leak though, I'm pretty sure mine is coming from the rear crank seal as it's the only one I haven't replaced now :lol:

Pete

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Thanks guys. Ill be careful as to learn from others mistakes! Any tips? Warm the oil/engine I assume? Can I do it on ramps as thats the only way I can attempt it, or does the car have to be level? Also, how is it sealed, just gasket or some kind of bonding agent? Credit crunch and all that but I want to do it myself regardless...
Thanks again chaps!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
We just had the front up on axle stands and had no problems. You need to drain the oil out so it's an oil change job, but new oil doesn't cost much. You need a new gasket, and I'd suggest new bolts, both are dirt cheap and easy to sort out if it's all bought in advance.

As for tips, don't try doing the bolts up too tight :lol:

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Finally (!!) had the oil leak situation looked at and is now sorted. Sump gasket nothing to do with it.
Was simply the oil pressure switch. Now replaced and no drips.
Thought I'd mention it incase someone else has/will have similar prob.
I'm told the oil dripping from this may have seeped into the crank sensor connection causing that to fail on me a while ago. Cause and effect and all that...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.