Correct Tyre Spec

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi guys

I need to get some new tyres for front of my car, 2.0Tdi Sport 225/45/17.

Looking at Goodyear F1 Assymetric. I just wanted to check if I need to go with the 'high load' 94Y or if standard 91Y are OK? I ask because when inflated to manufacturers spec of 32psi look very 'squashed'.
Also, can someone confirm correct tyre pressures as I have same problem as others on here with high wear in middle of front tyres. I thought this is normally due to overinflation but normally run with 32/33psi.

I also have the tyre whine. I had wheel alignment done but can't afford to change all 4 tyres at present so hope at least these 2 will help!

Any help with be good

Thanks

lard-ajc

Nov 22, 2007
Leicestershire
would be interested in this as well.

When front tyres are at the recommended pressures they look underinflated but centre of tread is wearing quicker.

Have decreased the pressure slightly to try to sort out the wear by 1psi and handling's not changed noticeably but i'm not convinced that 1psi will make much difference to wear.

Anyone else have these problems and are there any ways to fix this?

cheers

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Anyone out there with some ideas?

Now this morning just found nail in front tyre so will have to change ASAP. Any views appreciated.

Thanks

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
Tyre pressure seemingly depends on the tyremanufacturer. For goodyear check their site ;) http://goodyear.tiremanager.eu/eu_en/ it mentions almost 38psi after google recalculates 2.6 bar(fronts) to psi.

Also the site mentions the F1 assymetric as XL tyres which I think are high load tyres. My 18's are high load and are supposed to be but I'm not 100% sure with the 17's.
Shouldn't your tyreguy know this or else your dealer?!

Last edited:

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Tyre pressure seemingly depends on the tyremanufacturer. For goodyear check their site ;) http://goodyear.tiremanager.eu/eu_en/ it mentions almost 38psi after google recalculates 2.6 bar(fronts) to psi.

Also the site mentions the F1 assymetric as XL tyres which I think are high load tyres. My 18's are high load and are supposed to be but I'm not 100% sure with the 17's.
Shouldn't your tyreguy know this or else your dealer?!

Thanks for the info.

I checked the Goodyear web site as above & it says 34.8/37.7 front & 31.9/40.6 psi for rears!

These are much higher than guide in filler cap as recommended by Seat. Has anyone got any views on this?

PS Had to new rear tyres fitted this morning. Now on Goodyear Assymetric 225/45/17 94Y.

Cheers fellas.

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Hi

I know what you mean, does seem high in comparison to what Seat state.

have you had any of the tyre issues like some of us on here? Either uneven wear, wheel bearing type noise etc?

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
I've had cupping, but with falken's 452. Since then I've had Continental SportContact 2&3 and Goodyear F1 Assymetric(on the rear now) and Michelin Exalto's(on the front now). I've always had them on 39/40 psi on the front, yes they're hard but the wobbly feel is gone and they stick better. No uneven wear on my car and I managed about 22K miles with the fronts.

The tyrepressure in the filling cap could also be pointing towards the 16's that are standard on some models?!

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Thanks.

I take it you're running 18's on yours? I think the pressures are about the same but interesting to see how different the Goodyear settings are.

That's Seat for you!

erichuyn

Dec 25, 2005
Netherlands
yes that is the difference I have 225/40/18 on my car and it's a 1.9TDI but that last one won't make much difference as the front axle weight is virtually the same. I think?! :D