Cost cutting

SeatLion

May 16, 2005
"Cheaper models will have simple torsion beam rear suspension and the more upmarket models will have more sophisticated multi-link suspensions."

AFAIK the new Golf and the new A3 do also have this limitation (depending on the engine's horsepower).

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
"Cheaper models will have simple torsion beam rear suspension and the more upmarket models will have more sophisticated multi-link suspensions."

AFAIK the new Golf and the new A3 do also have this limitation (depending on the engine's horsepower).

Did have a look into this, it seems the Leon gets Multilink 140PS upwards, Golf 122PS upwards and A3 all models. Has been a bit of confusion/ conflicting reports though.

SeatLion

May 16, 2005
Did have a look into this, it seems the Leon gets Multilink 140PS upwards, Golf 122PS upwards and A3 all models. Has been a bit of confusion/ conflicting reports though.

All A3 models? I am not sure about this one, too...

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I would be surprised if the A3 did not have multilink as standard due to their 'premium' status and I have not read anything to the contrary. I was still surprised to hear about the Golf though. I think in all three cases money saved from MBQ and simpler suspension systems has gone to pay for more expensive and 'plush' feeling interiors.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It's funny

All the items you've flagged as adding value are all standard on my Skoda

Then again, last weekend on the way home, both Syphon & myself noted that the Skoda was better built, and had noticeably more 'good bits' than the Mk3 (and way more than the Mk2)

gareth86

Oct 9, 2010
Kent
I don't like how they're advertising the FR in all the images with a sun roof, but it's actually an optional extra? I don't think it's the only thing they're doing it with either...

Only briefly looked at the price sheet there are many extras I'd want and it's going to push the price up a lot, which I'd have to take into consideration against for example... the new golf etc.

Bora

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
Its a sign of cheapness and its the subtilities/ attention to detail like that which make the difference IMO

It actually costs more for them and shows attention to detail.

They now need two headlinings and adds to the build complexity, it would look cheap if the recess was in place but it's contoured to match so looks as it should.

In regard to cost differences I think it still costs £130 for vanity mirror lights on the A3.

The interior on the new Leon looks way better than the 2, VAG have now brought the brand up as it has with Skoda. Now however it needs to increase profit across the brands as more people shift from the Audi and VW stables.

SeatLion

May 16, 2005

SeatLion

May 16, 2005
By the way, one reason VAG group has chosen this type of rear suspension is weight (-15kg), not only production costs.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
You are wrong. I have just configured the new Audi A3 (105 PS) at http://www.audi.de

On the last page I read: "Hinterachse: Verbundlenker-Hinterachse mit getrennter Feder-Dämpfer-Anordnung"

From Google Translate: "Rear: torsion beam rear suspension with separate spring and damper assembly"

So stop blaming SEAT...

Did you miss the UK from my post? :)

akarl991

So it will get a proper manual handbrake? That is great I think, considering snow and drifting :) I really dislike all new cars with a button instead, I must be getting old...

SeatLion

May 16, 2005
Did you miss the UK from my post? :)

For all markets: Leon<150 HP and Golf & A3<122 HP -> Torsion beam rear suspension.

So it will get a proper manual handbrake? That is great I think, considering snow and drifting :) I really dislike all new cars with a button instead, I must be getting old...

+1

And what happens when the car battery runs out of power? :whistle: I think that an electric handbrake brings more inconveniences than advantages... Many people do not feel comfortable with it.

akarl991

Yeah a recent vacation reversing and making u-turns etc on steep hills with some rental Opel with this electric handbrake combined and an engine without any sort of bottom end power was no nice experience... Feet on pedals + one hand on handbrake + one on wheel is what I like ;)

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
For all markets: Leon<150 HP and Golf & A3<122 HP -> Torsion beam rear suspension.

According to the brochure that has no mention of torsion beam suspension and the dealer all A3's have multilink suspension in the UK, popped in to have a look at the new A3 on Saturday. I should have found a 1.6Tdi or 1.4TSi and had a look underneath!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.